Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I haven't sailed on NCL before either. What type of cabin did you book, and do you mind sharing the cost? BTW, I am 61, so I guess I'm not in your demographic, LOL. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi sungold, I booked one of the studio cabins yes just a few years younger! the studio cabins are priced low that's why I jumped at it.

So I just booked my first solo on Brilliance of the Seas leaving 1/2/2016 which I booked for my 37th birthday during cruise. I also booked the Getaway for 5/15/2016 hoping that the solo lounge will be helpful considering I'm kind of a quiet person and meeting new people makes me nervous. I'm hoping I don't need liquid courage to get involved.

So I just booked my first solo on Brilliance of the Seas leaving 1/2/2016 which I booked for my 37th birthday during cruise. I also booked the Getaway for 5/15/2016 hoping that the solo lounge will be helpful considering I'm kind of a quiet person and meeting new people makes me nervous. I'm hoping I don't need liquid courage to get involved.

Having been on Breakaway & Getaway this past year, I can tell you that this class ship is very "solo friendly". Just go to the pre-dinner get together in the studio lounge and you need not ever have dinner alone.

NCL Getaway - February 26, 2017...first solo trip....forever in the future...but happy I'm booked!! - Erica

NCL Breakaway class ships are great and very "solo friendly". I couldn't stand waiting that long to cruise however.

NCL Breakaway class ships are great and very "solo friendly". I couldn't stand waiting that long to cruise

Great to hear that I picked a great class to try out a solo trip on! Thanks! As for the length of wait...I will be cruising with my 18 yo son on the Sky in March, 2016... THAT trip will be a first cruise ever for both of us. I booked the solo trip right after the first one because booking the first cruise didn't squash the solo cruising curiosity bug!!

I have never sailed on NCL, but I'm considering a 7 night Western Europe round trip from Rome, on August 26. on Epic. The rate for a studio is very attractive. Only thing is that the airfare costs as much as the cruise.

I am going solo for the first time ever this October. Also doing a B2B, and first time TA. I will start on the NCL Escape maiden voyage out of Hamburg (2 nights), and then jump ship in Southampton for Anthem of the Seas TA.

I am really looking forward to both cruises, and to meeting lots of new people!

Just returned from my 1st solo, on the Hurtigruten MS Trollfjord, 11 days round trip Bergen, Norway to Kirkenes, Norway and back. I had a great time, saw a lot of beautiful scenery, and the ship was solo friendly. Had late seating dinner with some very nice people from the USA and Canada going north, and a couple from Australia going south. Many Americans only take the northbound trip, but I was very glad I took the round trip. I had an inside cabin, and yes, had to pay the single supplement, but this was a definite "bucket list" trip for me, and a return to my roots (my grandfather was Norwegian).

I spent 2 days in Bergen before the cruise, took the train to Flam on my return to Oslo (not the whole "Norway in a Nutshell" trip), and then spent 3 days in Oslo before flying home. Great airfare on Norwegian Air from/to LAX, and I stayed in AirBnB in both Bergen and Oslo (hotels are VERY expensive in Norway). Used the Oslo Pass there to travel by public transportation with free museum entrance all over the city.

Heading to Alaska for 14 night cruise Saturday.

Anyone know how to watch movies on iPad without wifi on the ship? Can you download and store them?

Movies take up a lot of storage aand the iPad does not have a lot on its hard drive. Better to put the movies on a flash drive and insert it into the USB. Just copy & paste from your computer to the flash drive.

Movies take up a lot of storage aand the iPad does not have a lot on its hard drive. Better to put the movies on a flash drive and insert it into the USB. Just copy & paste from your computer to the flash drive.

awesome idea.

I will have try this.i need to get a flash drive and see if I can get this to work. Thank you very much!!!![emoji3]

I thought iPads don't have USB ports.....

I used to download tv shows to watch while I was at the gym. I used an app called (I think) DVIX. If you Google 'download movies to watch on ipad offline' you will find out your different options.

Finally made a decision and booked my cruise. I'm sailing on the Carnival Glory Sept. 19. Sooo looking forward to it, as it's been a stressful year and I need the time away to relax, rest, and regroup! <sigh>

Sounds good! I have one booked for early December, but might be persuaded for a bargain in September or October.

I'm trying NOT to be persuaded. But, I will change the next RCL booking I have, as I am booked on the Breeze the following week. BUT....I want to rebook that cruise to the Sunshine 11 night sailing. I'm just slightly hesitant because of the length of the cruise. There is a great sale until Tuesday. Any thoughts on this? I really enjoy the port intensive cruises. I go for the ports, not always the ships.

Hi travelers, thanks for all the great info.

I new to this forum and cruising. I just booked on Star Princess from Anchorage to Vancouver for 7 days, leaving Aug. 29. I got inside cabin which was advertised for $399. After single supplement and fees were added in it came to $973. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I wasn't sure about the dining options, I signed up for anytime...what are the advantages of traditional?

Steve from Austin

Hi travelers, thanks for all the great info.

I new to this forum and cruising. I just booked on Star Princess from Anchorage to Vancouver for 7 days, leaving Aug. 29. I got inside cabin which was advertised for $399. After single supplement and fees were added in it came to $973. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I wasn't sure about the dining options, I signed up for anytime...what are the advantages of traditional?

Steve from Austin

I think the advantages of traditional dining is that you know you'll have a group of people to dine with. And if it's a good match up you may have some nice folks you can pal around with if you choose. Anytime may leave you dining alone if none of the other diners opt to share a table.

I think the advantages of traditional dining is that you know you'll have a group of people to dine with. And if it's a good match up you may have some nice folks you can pal around with if you choose. Anytime may leave you dining alone if none of the other diners opt to share a table.

Sadly that is no guarantee anymore with more choices of dining rooms.

I have been assigned to a couple of tables that no one showed up for dinner

I used to look forward to seeing my dinner table first night but nowadays

A decent table isn't a sure thing..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by girlcruiser

I always choose anytime dining now...on my first cruise there was traditional dining, and my tablemates stopped coming after the first few nights. Now, if you don't want to eat alone, when you go each night you can let the Maitre D know that you'd like to sit with other people. You may be seated with other singles!

Sadly that is no guarantee anymore with more choices of dining rooms.

I have been assigned to a couple of tables that no one showed up for dinner

I used to look forward to seeing my dinner table first night but nowadays

A decent table isn't a sure thing..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to me. I still think traditional dining is best for the solo cruiser. If it doesn't work out the first night then ask for a change.

Another reason I opt for the anytime dining, is you're not locked in to eating dinner at the same time every night. If you've had a long day in port and you feel like having a nap before dinner, there is no need to rush. Same if you like to have a cocktail and/or listen to some live music before dinner. I just love the freedom of doing what I want, when I want. Of course not everyone feels the same...that's why most cruise lines give you a choice.