Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Unfortunately, Wizard-of-Roz, I don't think you understand the true meaning of an Introvert. When you get a chance, type it into Google search and you can learn all about us. :o What you are describing instead is cruising solo, plain and simple, which indeed does take a tremendous amount of strength, independence, and stamina! But I love, love, love it!!

Anyone who calls themselves "introverted and shy" and still goes on a cruise by themselves is truly not introverted and shy. Maybe they're a bit shy and withdrawn but do you know how much courage and stamina it takes to cruise alone? A lot!

Unfortunately, Wizard-of-Roz, I don't think you understand the true meaning of an Introvert. When you get a chance, type it into Google search and you can learn all about us. :o What you are describing instead is cruising solo, plain and simple, which indeed does take a tremendous amount of strength, independence, and stamina! But I love, love, love it!!

Nothing unfortunate about it!

Introverts may be concerned with their own thoughts but again, onboard a cruise ship there is so much interaction with others it would be very difficult to maintain only thinking of yourself. At least for me. I'm forced to interact. And, I love, love, love it!

Introverts may be concerned with their own thoughts but again, onboard a cruise ship there is so much interaction with others it would be very difficult to maintain only thinking of yourself. At least for me. I'm forced to interact. And, I love, love, love it!

Being an introvert is not only thinking of yourself. Don't know where you got that from.

Wow, another large ship heading to Port Canaveral in November of '16. Hopefully, with Norwegian's and RCCL's large ship (forget which one), it'll make prices a bit more competitive. Of course maybe not - ha ha.

Florida is already very competitive. So many ships, so many cruises to choose from. Glad to see the Epic return to FL. Maybe I will get to go on her after all. I still think the Breakway will continue to be my favourite ship (mainly because it's in New York).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida is already very competitive. So many ships, so many cruises to choose from. Glad to see the Epic return to FL. Maybe I will get to go on her after all. I still think the Breakway will continue to be my favourite ship (mainly because it's in New York).

I am thinking of trying Breakaway next year to go to Bermuda. But the weird thing is I either hear people are loving this ship or hating it, I never read anyone say its ok, or so so. But I like that its leaving from NY since I really do not want to fly, its just so convenient.

Right now the rates are not bad for May, June and September, not sure if I should book now or wait for it to go even cheaper. I mean I know I can always cancel and rebook.

Edited by cruiseelady

I am thinking of trying Breakaway next year to go to Bermuda. But the weird thing is I either hear people are loving this ship or hating it, I never read anyone say its ok, or so so. But I like that its leaving from NY since I really do not want to fly, its just so convenient.

Right now the rates are not bad for May, June and September, not sure if I should book now or wait for it to go even cheaper. I mean I know I can always cancel and rebook.

I have heard the same thing. I really can't imagine why anyone would hate the Breakaway but some do. My tactic is to book well in advance and watch the price. If the price goes up - you win. If the price goes down - you still win because you can rebook.

I went on both the Epic and The Breakaway (2x) and loved them both.

I am thrilled the Epic is back in Florida and will go again (I am from NJ so will of course fly to Orlando and plan on staying at Coca Beach)

The ships felt simlilar but I'll go over some difference.

-*I felt more like I was away going first to Florida and then to St Thomas/St Marteen (I can do without Nassau, it never excited me and I notice it is on most of my sailings outside of Bermuda)

- I thought the Breakaway was a bit nicer with more outside areas, the Epic felt more enclosed almost like NY NY is vegas- but it was not a bad thing.

- I liked that the Epic had 128 studios vs only 59 on The Breakaway- even if you don't stay in a studio you can attend gatherings

- A bit of bias as I went on the Epic 12/17-12/24 vs Breakaway mid September and October- it was just more festive on the Epic.

- The waterfall is nice but I prefer the pool at Spice H2o on the Epic

- Music venues on all cruises a +- I was able to play the piano everynight at fat cats and howl at the moon

- Better late night music at Spice H20 on Breakaway

-Food just as good on both ships

*I was thinking of doing the Escape next 12/17-12/24- good rates then but I am thinking and guessing Epic will depart on Sundays as to not share port dates- but I could be wrong.

I do not think as a solo you can go bad with either ship. I would first ask yourself where you want to sail from. I think the New Epic route with St Thomas/Tortola/GSC is fantastic. I would pick GSC over Nassau any day.

For Breakway, I thought Bermuda was better route than PC/GSC/NA

In otherwords, I did not feel as though I was missing out on anything the last 2 times by not flying to Florida; although each cruise is different the three as a group felt really related

Thanks, HowardK, for for pointing out the differences between the Epic and the Breakaway. It's nice to have that information from someone who's been on both ships. Below I have listed all of the significant differences that I found between the Breakaway and the Getaway.

Itinerary

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Hello, could you please repost- it didn't seem to show up- I would be interested as well in hearing Getaway vs. Breakaway. I am following the Escape threads as well in order to decide on that or the Epic (perhaps one one year andanother the next). This will likely be 3X on the Breakaway for me this year; I might book last minute in the fall

Hello, could you please repost- it didn't seem to show up- I would be interested as well in hearing Getaway vs. Breakaway. I am following the Escape threads as well in order to decide on that or the Epic (perhaps one one year andanother the next). This will likely be 3X on the Breakaway for me this year; I might book last minute in the fall

I was trying to be funny. My point is there is no real difference between the Breakaway and the Getaway except for the itinerary. They are identical ships.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I don't consider myself an introvert, but I do like cruising solo, maybe I just don't feel comfortable sharing intimate space like showers and bathrooms with someone unless I know them very well. I posted this earlier, but I would encourage you to check out the Bahamas cruise on Norwegian Sky, Dec. 5, 2016. It's a 5 day that goes to Freeport, Nassau and NCL's private island. As a solo I was able to book a balcony for $604. I'd love to have some of you come along and have a few drinks with me! (This fare included a free beverage package.)

Being an introvert is not only thinking of yourself. Don't know where you got that from.

I believe she did do a little bit of research on introverts, but not enough. Some places on the internet describe us as people who turn their thoughts inward...and instead of continuing to read, she mistook that to mean we only think of ourselves. So not true!

Edited by Seagull7

I'm glad that you did a little bit of research about introverts, but, sadly, you didn't do enough. Because everyone is different, with our own personalities and quirks...both introverts and extroverts...of course the definition(s) that you will read will always only cover the BROAD spectrum of people.

We don't only think of ourselves, although I understand why you misinterpreted that. What they are saying, to condense it down, is that when in crowds, or around people in general, we become mentally exhausted very quickly. Other people (extroverts) actually become energized/uplifted by being with/around people (my husband...I call him a "social butterfly"). When you say that you "love, love, love" being forced to interact with others, you're gaining energy/excitement from being with them.

Many times, introverts love quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, one-on-one with a close friend, but we are awkward/uncomfortable in groups. We have to be dragged to parties/events and then we want to leave early/ASAP and will need the rest of the night or next day to recuperate. We dislike being forced to share pleasantries/small talk with people who are just trying to be nice (e.g., waiting in a grocery line to check out and the person behind you wants to start up a conversation, or socializing in a Cruise Critic Roll Call mixer onboard a cruise ship). A lot of times we're regarded as being rude, standoffish, or arrogant, when in fact we're very pleasant to be around once we loosen up and/or you get to know us. However, therein lies a problem, for me in particular. Because of what I said above, we don't usually have many friends, if any, and it's not because we don't want them, but our inner turmoil hinders/stops us from socializing, which normally leads to friendships. For example, personally, what happens to me, is that I FORCE myself to attend something (e.g., meet-and-greet, mixer, party, etc.) and while there, both being an introvert AND being shy, I become so incredibly uncomfortable that I leave within the first half hour...and then spend the next several hours beating myself up for not overcoming it all!

As for being "forced" to socialize on a cruise ship, you are very, very wrong. I've cruised solo now several times and, other than at the dinner table, I was pretty much left alone. Sometimes someone would try to small talk with me while waiting in line somewhere or while on an excursion. While I reply, being kind and polite, I don't elaborate or try to extend the conversation and they eventually turn away and go back to their companion(s). Also, I am always reading, so perhaps that has something to do with it. But even the times I would sit by myself with a glass of wine and either just watch people, or watch/listen to a band, I was not approached or intruded upon. I laughingly tell my husband that I must put out a "don't f*ck with me" vibe, because people leave me alone. :p

Personally, sometimes I think it would be nice to have someone to chat with and that's when I force myself to try and participate in a mixer, but the bottom line is that it never works for me and I become too uncomfortable and leave soon after arriving. You would think that by the age of 50 I would have learned by now and just go with it. Yes, ever the internal struggle.

Sadly, I don't think extroverts will ever really understand introverts. For me, combine being an introvert WITH being shy and you can totally forget it. <sigh> :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is John, a guy in his late 40s, originally from the NYC area, currently living in NW Florida. This will be my second cruise and my first solo one. I rather impulsively booked it after my wife of over ten years announced she wanted a divorce. I didn't see that coming ... although maybe that was the problem??? Ironically, my only cruise experience was our honeymoon. I enjoyed it so much I always wanted to go on another but never had the time due to family responsibilities. I've not had a real vacation for years! So this time I said, "the heck with responsibility" and found a great price (and no solo supplement!!!) on a great ship. Since I have a voucher on Delta I can fly up to NYC for free, see a couple of friends and family, then go on a great cruise.

Edited by Presbycruiser

Hi all,

This is John, a guy in his late 40s, originally from the NYC area, currently living in NW Florida. This will be my second cruise and my first solo one. I rather impulsively booked it after my wife of over ten years announced she wanted a divorce. I didn't see that coming ... although maybe that was the problem??? Ironically, my only cruise experience was our honeymoon. I enjoyed it so much I always wanted to go on another but never had the time due to family responsibilities. I've not had a real vacation for years! So this time I said, "the heck with responsibility" and found a great price (and no solo supplement!!!) on a great ship. Since I have a voucher on Delta I can fly up to NYC for free, see a couple of friends and family, then go on a great cruise.

Good for you, John. Sounds like a great plan. Wish I had discovered cruise vacations when I was going thru my divorce.

I just placed a hold on a California Coastal Cruise on the Grand Princess for September 2016. 7 days from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, LA/Long Beach, San Diego and Ensenada and return. I have to make my deposit by 8/28.

I went with Princess this summer to Alaska and loved the overall experience and service. I decided to book again with Princess and I think this will be a lovely cruise.

Opted for a Premium Oceanview cabin with floor to ceiling windows and fixed dining on this cruise.

I just placed a hold on a California Coastal Cruise on the Grand Princess for September 2016. 7 days from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, LA/Long Beach, San Diego and Ensenada and return. I have to make my deposit by 8/28.

I went with Princess this summer to Alaska and loved the overall experience and service. I decided to book again with Princess and I think this will be a lovely cruise.

Opted for a Premium Oceanview cabin with floor to ceiling windows and fixed dining on this cruise.

What was the rate for this cruise? I am early 40s and very interested in the Coastal cruise.

I have taken 6 California Coastal cruises out of L.A. and going under the Golden Gate Bridge is an "E" Ticket Ride at Disneyland [remember those!] I have seen grown men tear-up, yell and jump for joy at the sight of it. You swear the ship is going to hit the Bridge. You can literally see every bolt and speck of dust as you go under [day or night.] I will NEVER get over that thrill. I have cruised the world and one of my most favorite spectacle's is this one.

In all my cruising I have NOT gone past the Empire State Bldg. That's on my bucket list.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

How are the prices for solos?

I assume they are the usual double amount. I haven't checked, but I am willing to pay the full single supplement since I will not have been on a cruise for over a year at that point.

For those interested in the Princess 7 day California Coastal Cruise:

Yes, the single supplement is 100%. I know. I just factor it in when I'm planning my vacation budget.

For pricing, I suggest going to the Princess website. In the search function, you will find California & Pacific Coastals. You can do a mock booking on the Princess website to see what cabins are available.

Right now, Princess has a promo. You can get the highest category cabin for the price of the lowest category, assuming space still available. So for example, the highest category oceanview is priced the same as the lowest obstructed. The promo does exclude a few premium cabins. So if you are considering this cruise, even though solos pay a 100% supplement, it's an opportunity to getter a better cabin. Gratuities are included in the promo, and a free specialty dining. The Promo is 3-for-Free. My September 2016 California Coastal Cruise is included in the promo. You'll have to check the other dates as not all cruises qualify.

I really enjoyed my trip to Alaska on Princess this summer and this just looks like a lovely cruise. It will be my second on Princess.

Looking forward to my cruise in February (24 Saturdays to go!). I've never cruised with Norwegian before. Can someone tell me if I can request to be seated with a group for dinner?

I'm looking forward to the single/solo lounge and the opportunity to meet others travelling on their own.

Looking forward to my cruise in February (24 Saturdays to go!). I've never cruised with Norwegian before. Can someone tell me if I can request to be seated with a group for dinner?

I'm looking forward to the single/solo lounge and the opportunity to meet others travelling on their own.

If you're going on a Breakaway class ship with the Studio lounge, you can attend the nightly meeting at around 6 PM and the Solo cruiser co-ordinator will make reservations for the group interested in dining together at a particular restaurant. Reservations can also be made before the cruise online or on board the ship.