Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Hello Solo's

I'm a retired military veteran who loves to travel solo. I usually cruise once a year, but I decided to check out three new ships this year. When I'm not traveling I reside in Middle Georgia. Are there any others attending? I'm really excited about the Escape!

i'm cruising solo on breakaway Oct 4 -11 to Bermuda. I'm excited! I like the idea of the studio lounge and the option to meet folks but hope there's no feeling of obligation to hang out with other solos.

Booked the spa for the week to relax and one shore excursion. Beyond that, winging it. I hope folks don't get insulted if I want to eat on my own sometimes and read!

i'm cruising solo on breakaway Oct 4 -11 to Bermuda. I'm excited! I like the idea of the studio lounge and the option to meet folks but hope there's no feeling of obligation to hang out with other solos.

Booked the spa for the week to relax and one shore excursion. Beyond that, winging it. I hope folks don't get insulted if I want to eat on my own sometimes and read!

Who could get insulted? Strangers? I think not.

I only eat alone when I cruise, my own preference. Although I know most solos actually feel uncomfortable sitting by them selves, but not all.

I'm fine eating alone. I can people watch, get lost in my own thoughts, read... sometimes company is nice, just don't want to be obligated to sit with all the other solos. For me the main draw of doing a solo cruise is being on my own with no obligation to talk to anyone! :)

(another introvert here - need my alone time. not shy, not anti social, just need time to recharge after being around people).

Everything is optional. Showing up for the solo meeting at 6 PM. Going to dinner with other solos. Going to the shows with other solos. All optional. It's nice to join in if you want to. But if you don't -- you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fine eating alone. I can people watch, get lost in my own thoughts, read... sometimes company is nice, just don't want to be obligated to sit with all the other solos. For me the main draw of doing a solo cruise is being on my own with no obligation to talk to anyone! :)

(another introvert here - need my alone time. not shy, not anti social, just need time to recharge after being around people).

Me too, I am an introvert. Frankly the only time I really want company is for dancing and karaoke. I also would not say no to dinner company if the person is very interesting to talk to. But I would never say yes to group dinners, all the noise and hear everyone talking at once would annoy the heck out of me. That is why I cant stand anything with groups. I like calm, quiet atmosphere and one on one or very small groups.

Me too, I am an introvert. Frankly the only time I really want company is for dancing and karaoke. I also would not say no to dinner company if the person is very interesting to talk to. But I would never say yes to group dinners, all the noise and hear everyone talking at once would annoy the heck out of me. That is why I cant stand anything with groups. I like calm, quiet atmosphere and one on one or very small groups.

Completely agree. I wouldn't mind someone to go out dancing with, but beyond that, leave me be! That's also why i booked the spa for the week, somewhere hopefully quiet where i can escape the craziness. Downloading a bunch of books to my kindle and I'm set.

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked 2 cruises as a solo:

Celebrity Reflection 12/5/15 (western Caribbean 7 day)

Celebrity Constellation 4/2/16 (Transatlantic FLL to Rome 13 day)

Apparently having gone over a year without a cruise finally did me in and so I had to book 2! Now for the fun of planning and anticipation!

I start my trio of cruises next week. I do a 15 day TA from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Miami back to back with a 7 day Western Carib, then 6 days in southern FL, and finally a 10 day Southern Carib.

All told I'll be at sea for 32 of the 38 days. I think I'm developing a problem. :eek:

Edited by JoePatNYCT

I start my trio of cruises next week. I do a 15 day TA from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Miami back to back with a 7 day Western Carib, then 6 days in southern FL, and finally a 10 day Southern Carib.

All told I'll be at sea for 32 of the 38 days. I think I'm developing a problem. :eek:

I for one see no problem with it!! I just wish I could be away that long...or even do a fall TA because I like sailing west and gaining hours much better than sailing east and losing hours...but the dang job keeps getting in the way of my cruising! I've just got to win the lottery, that's all there is to it.

Well, women DO generally live longer than men, so I don't believe it. But if you really are that ancient, then perhaps you will find out that you like younger women! :)

That is what my 50 years old ex wife said when I traded her for 2 25 years old blondes :D

So back to solo cruising ...

Yes-- back to the Roll Call for Solo cruisers. I've just made the final payment on my solo cruise - NCL Breakaway on December 13th. I'm starting to get very excited. Received the free beverage plan and purchased a four night Specialty dining package. This cruise has the makings to be my best cruise yet!!!

HI all!

I read this thread often but it's the 1st time posting.

I've cruised 16 out of my 32 cruises solo & really enjoy it. Once a year I cruise or go to an AI with DH.

I have 4 more solo adventures planned & look forward to them all. I enjoy my cruises with DH for the most part but have travelled with 3 others & have run into problems sharing the cabin with snorers or needier people.:o

I enjoy the newer NCL ships with the studio cabins the best.

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

I read this thread often but it's the 1st time posting.

I've cruised 16 out of my 32 cruises solo & really enjoy it. Once a year I cruise or go to an AI with DH.

I have 4 more solo adventures planned & look forward to them all. I enjoy my cruises with DH for the most part but have travelled with 3 others & have run into problems sharing the cabin with snorers or needier people.:o

I enjoy the newer NCL ships with the studio cabins the best.

~ Jo ~ :)

I am also a married solo cruiser. My wife's work and other commitments prevent her from cruising with me as often as I wish to cruise. I also really like the studio cabins on NCL. I don't ever think I can go back to sharing a cabin again (except with my wife).

So back to solo cruising ...

I just booked Princess Regal for 9 days from now solo, 10 nights and NCL 10 night Thanksgiving cruise...both solo.

I am interested in trying a studio cabin. I will look for one early 2016. None of the ships I have been sailing recently has studios.

Anyone know if Princess has solo get togethers?

The one and only time I cruised Princess I was with my wife. So I don't know about the Solo get together. There probably is one. Just check the daily newsletter the first day of the cruise. The studio cabins on the Epic or Breakaway class ships is very small and cozy but well worth considering because of the lower-cost (no single supplement) and the Studio Lounge and meeting with other solo cruisers. Have a great time on your upcoming cruises, JazzyLady.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Anyone know if Princess has solo get togethers?

I was on Princess to Alaska this summer. There were two solo get togethers on the 7 day cruise, both which were led by cruise staff - one the first evening and the second one was on a sea day - solos met for afternoon tea together (Princess has an afternoon tea most days). I did not attend as on this cruise as I was traveling with a gal pal.

The one and only time I cruised Princess I was with my wife. So I don't know about the Solo get together. There probably is one. Just check the daily newsletter the first day of the cruise. The studio cabins on the Epic or Breakaway class ships is very small and cozy but well worth considering because of the lower-cost (no single supplement) and the Studio Lounge and meeting with other solo cruisers. Have a great time on your upcoming cruises, JazzyLady.

Thank you.

I was on Princess to Alaska this summer. There were two solo get togethers on the 7 day cruise, both which were led by cruise staff - one the first evening and the second one was on a sea day - solos met for afternoon tea together (Princess has an afternoon tea most days). I did not attend as on this cruise as I was traveling with a gal pal.

I love afternoon tea. I enjoyed it on Queen Mary2 last October.