Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

My biggest fear is dining solo. Something tells me I'm going to feel awkward being all dressed up sitting there waiting...waiting...and waiting for the next course to be served. I worry that people will be looking, etc. I read where some people bring along their kindle to read during the meal.

Please HELP!! p085.gif

My biggest fear is dining solo. Something tells me I'm going to feel awkward being all dressed up sitting there waiting...waiting...and waiting for the next course to be served. I worry that people will be looking, etc. I read where some people bring along their kindle to read during the meal.

Please HELP!! p085.gif

I know this isn't always the answer people want, but I dealt with this by not doing them MDRs very often, and when I did I got a table for 2 (alone). I either did the buffet or specialties for the most part, and I read on my iPad mini to pass the time. But I am an introvert in the old fashioned sense of the word, and cruise solo by choice. So if people were watching/judging me, I didn't notice because I was a having a good time. :) (And I did get dressed up on dress-up night, but I really don't think anyone noticed.)

Just do you.

Edited by perditax

Please HELP!! p085.gif

Try not to worry, people really don't care if you are alone or with someone. I have done many solo cruises and dinned in MDR. Nobody cares, you will not be stared at.

Please HELP!! p085.gif

Why don't you request to be set at a large table? I have meet some marvelous people and made some life long friends by doing this. I have only had one negative experience and that was when I was put at a table where no one else spoke English. I just went to the matre'd and he changed me to another table.

UAL Flygal, do not worry about dining solo. Of course you should take advantage of every course of every meal, enjoy it, and not relegate yourself to the buffet. No one will stare at you, and if they did, just smile and wave. You will not see these people again. As others have said, you can request to dine alone or be seated with others. Totally your choice!

Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please HELP!! p085.gif

Did you book "Open" dining (as opposed to "fixed")? If so, the person working the podium as you walk in will ask you if you would mind sharing a table with others. I don't know if you wanted to dine alone by choice, but if not, you certainly don't have to.

If you booked fixed and didn't specify that you wanted to be alone, you'll be assigned to a table with others.

I don't know if you were intending to try any of the specialty restaurants on the Nieuw Amsterdam but if you were, and if you happen to like Asian food, I highly recommend Tamarind. The food is great and the service is very gracious.

The only sticky point might be breakfast in the main dining room (if you choose to go there instead of the Lido). Breakfast is all open seating, and there was one time where they put me at a large, empty table and they had me wait forever for it to fill up. Not a pleasant experience. If they try that, ask to either be re-seated at a two-top or to join a table that isn't too far along in their breakfast.

Enjoy!!!

Did you book "Open" dining (as opposed to "fixed")? If so, the person working the podium as you walk in will ask you if you would mind sharing a table with others. I don't know if you wanted to dine alone by choice, but if not, you certainly don't have to.

If you booked fixed and didn't specify that you wanted to be alone, you'll be assigned to a table with others.

I don't know if you were intending to try any of the specialty restaurants on the Nieuw Amsterdam but if you were, and if you happen to like Asian food, I highly recommend Tamarind. The food is great and the service is very gracious.

The only sticky point might be breakfast in the main dining room (if you choose to go there instead of the Lido). Breakfast is all open seating, and there was one time where they put me at a large, empty table and they had me wait forever for it to fill up. Not a pleasant experience. If they try that, ask to either be re-seated at a two-top or to join a table that isn't too far along in their breakfast.

Enjoy!!!

That has happened to me a couple of times. Once I ate my entire breakfast alone at a table for eight!! Now if they lead me to a large empty table for breakfast, I refuse and ask for a smaller table or a table that is already occupied.

Please HELP!! p085.gif

I've eaten at a small table alone and really enjoy it. I can take my time enjoying a drink before I order, giving the waiter/waitress time to catch up on the other tables and just enjoying the atmosphere (or the daily planner) while I wait.

As far as anyone looking at me goes, I read a quote I think is perfect for us solo's. "What anyone else thinks of me is none of my business"

Go, relax, and enjoy yourself... :)

Thank You All for your VERY helpful suggestions!! You better believe I'm gonna try each one. I elected to 'Dine Anytime'. I will try the MDR. Maybe once. :eek:

Try the MDR for breakfast early in the cruise and see if you like it (it's what I prefer). For dinner, the MDR is much nicer than the buffet. IMHO.

Sea Day brunch in the MDR is very good, on the Carnival ships anyway, I don't know if the other lines have it. It is open seating, though, like the MDR breakfasts are. Usually I'm fine with the buffet for breakfast, but when you have more time, the MDR is nice. I usually eat there on the day we disembark, because I don't have to make an early exit. Also, you can bring something to read if that will make things easier.

Pam