Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

What ba and ga sorry a wee bit dopey when it comes to abbreviation???? [emoji8]

BA stands for Breakaway out of New York. GA stands for Getaway out of Miami. Both are NCL breakaway class ships that are "solo friendly". Also the Epic and the new Escape have the studio rooms and lounge for solo cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BA stands for Breakaway out of New York. GA stands for Getaway out of Miami. Both are NCL breakaway class ships that are "solo friendly". Also the Epic and the new Escape have the studio rooms and lounge for solo cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you [emoji13]

Hi all, just booked a solo cruise for august 29th 2015, NCL Gem from NY. No single supplement, great deal. Balcony is 1049 plus taxes and fees. Not too many solos my age on that sailing(checked my roll call), but hopefully there will be more.

A lot of people don't sign up for the roll calls. They could also be procrastinators like me. I probably signed up for my last roll call 2 weeks before the cruise. I had booked the cruise 4 months prior :p

Make sure to try to make it to the meet & greet if you can. Sometimes people show up that didn't necessarily sign up.

• 2 weeks later...
Reassuring to see so many positive comments about solo cruising. I'm going on the celebrity Pacific coast tour on 4th September - seemed like a great idea when booking but I must confess to experiencing a bit of nervousness as it approaches. If there are any other solos out there on this trip let me know !

Luckydancer: I'm also on this sailing. Be sure to sign up for the Cruise Critic "Connections Party". Have you sailed solo before? When people ask me why I am sailing solo, my response is "I either sail solo or stay home......and that is not an option". Look forward to meeting you....it's a great itinerary.

Fabulous. I look forward to meeting you too and, yes, have signed up already for connections. First solo cruise, first time on celebrity, first time in California !! Lol. I can't wait - five weeks and counting. Actually less as I will be flying in from Scotland on the Wednesday evening. Should be over the jet lag by the time we sail I hope.

I just booked this cruise last night and am going solo---in the past 10 years I've only traveled with someone I knew one time, so I'm sort of good at the solo thing. I've met great people on each cruise, and we've even connected again for other cruises since we met. It's nice to know that you can hang out with someone you met, but you can also spend time doing whatever you want without that "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" dialogue!

Anyone else going on this cruise?

I just booked this cruise last night and am going solo---in the past 10 years I've only traveled with someone I knew one time, so I'm sort of good at the solo thing. I've met great people on each cruise, and we've even connected again for other cruises since we met. It's nice to know that you can hang out with someone you met, but you can also spend time doing whatever you want without that "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" dialogue!

Anyone else going on this cruise?

I'm assuming the cruise info is in the title (maybe?), but for those on the app, we don't know what cruise you are talking about--- however, I'm sure I'd love to join!!

I haven't joined in on this thread in awhile, but have taken several solo cruises.

I'm presently booked solo for a Panama Canal cruise in May '16 on Disney. I'm pretty sure there will be many other solos on there as well.

I'll know several people on the cruise as several did the WBTA cruise last year and I met them there. I did that one solo as well.

I forgot about this board as I have been trying to figure out a cruise to do for next year and will be going solo. I just realized while I have been cruising with a singles group and enjoying it there are certain ones that I really want to do. I know of PC one on Disney in May 2016, I also want to do NE/Canada and NYE those are the ones one my list for right now.

I have to remind myself to keep checking this site to see who is doing what :)

The Panama Canal Disney cruise in May '16 will have lots of singles on it, but of course not a singles group. Just a fun bunch of people.

I've gone several times without really knowing a soul. What I mean by "really knowing" is that I participated in the cruise meet threads so it was bit like knowing someone.

One cruise was a smoking last minute deal from Carnival that dropped the solo supplement. Think I paid less than $150. Was one of the really small inside cabins but since it was just a four day cruise, I didn't mind in the least. Had fun on that cruise.

Most of my cruises have been on Disney, and because of that I actually do know some people who end up on the same cruise as me. I also live near enough to the parks and sometimes meet up with people that will be on the same cruise as me.

I'm really looking forward to the Panama Canal cruise. I guess I'm not technically solo as my service dog Jagger will be going with me.

Going on this cruise again, a great set of Islands and just 1-sea day.

Anyone else going?

I do have a question for solo's. When on a excursion what do you do with your wallet and other personal stuff? Especially at a beach / snorkeling?

Thanks!

Dave

I did the NCL Epic for NYE 3 years ago and had a great time (in a studio, same as this time). I've heard a lot of good things about the Getaway and think this will be another winner! I've posted on the roll call - last time I was able to find a couple of people on the board on the same cruise and we hung out the whole time, it was great.

Going on this cruise again, a great set of Islands and just 1-sea day.

Anyone else going?

I do have a question for solo's. When on a excursion what do you do with your wallet and other personal stuff? Especially at a beach / snorkeling?

Thanks!

Dave

I wear these sometimes: http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Silver-Ridge-Cargo-Fossil/dp/B0058YR2KY/ref=sr_1_1?&s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1439232956&sr=1-1&keywords=Columbia+Men's+Silver+Ridge+Cargo+Short

They have an inner lining like swim trunks, dry out super fast, and have one pocket that zippers, plus some others that are velcro. Not exactly traditional, but on the plus side you can also just use them whenever you'd wear shorts.

Anyone who calls themselves "introverted and shy" and still goes on a cruise by themselves is truly not introverted and shy. Maybe they're a bit shy and withdrawn but do you know how much courage and stamina it takes to cruise alone? A lot!

I know, I've done it a few times and it's so tiring because there's no one to run things by or to pick up the slack. You have to do everything and there's so much to do and remember by yourself!

If you're well organized and plan everything you can do it.

Once my cruise ship came into a different dock......I was totally unaware of this. It would have been nice if an announcement was made while we were waiting to disembark the ship, that we were at a different dock. I got off the ship and couldn't find my car [first thought, my car's been stolen,] After the help of a dock worker to let me know that we were in Pier 94 [different than the Pier 93 that we left from]. He drove around and found my car for me, which was on the total opposite side of where I was. Needless to say, I really got my exercise that morning.

If you're traveling with someone else you can bounce ideas off them and they can help figure out where you are, where you're going and what you're doing.

When you're traveling alone you must rely on your own good sense and knowledge of where you are and where you're going and what time you have be somewhere. You're kind of forced to talk to others to just reassure yourself that you're in the right line and at the right time.

You really have to be cognizant of your surroundings and make sure that you brought everything with you. With no one to remind you, you must be very self sufficient.

There's so such thing as being sleepy and letting someone else do the thinking for you, like when I would travel with my late husband. If I didn't get a good nights sleep I knew that he would take care of things and I could just follow him! No more of that!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I was just announced that the Norwegian epic is moving to Port Canaveral in November 2016. Maybe I'll get my chance to try a solo room. since I live in central Florida that would be very convenient for me.

Wow, another large ship heading to Port Canaveral in November of '16. Hopefully, with Norwegian's and RCCL's large ship (forget which one), it'll make prices a bit more competitive. Of course maybe not - ha ha.