Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Thanks for the comments about dining options. After browsing several threads I've noticed that there are a LOT of discussions about food, dress, seating, etc. I just like to keep it simple. About the only thing I'm particular about is coffee. I can't stand bad coffee and sometimes bring my own when I travel.

I haven't heard of it either...is it one of those things where they try to match you up with a compatible roommate? I think most lines have done away with that, probably because you can't please everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of it either...is it one of those things where they try to match you up with a compatible roommate? I think most lines have done away with that, probably because you can't please everybody.

I remember when I started cruising on a regular basis (12 years ago)

the only cruiseline I had ever heard about who offered "shared" cabins was

Holland America. I don't think they do it anymore and I have never

heard of Royal or any other cruiseline doing it. There used to be some

major threads about that specific topic on here. Some "younger folks"

had no issues with sharing with strangers but many of us would never

do it. Guess it depends on the person and the circumstance. I would

never do it.....I don't even share with someone I do know, so sharing

a cabin with a stranger? Not in my life......just too many factors

coming into play.

Edited by Lois R

I remember when I started cruising on a regular basis (12 years ago) the only cruiseline I had ever about who offered "shared" cabins was Holland America. I don't think they do it anymore and I have never

heard of Royal or any other cruiseline doing it. There used to be some

major threads about that specific topic on here. Some "younger folks"

had no issues with sharing with strangers but many of us would never

do it. Guess it depends on the person and the circumstance. I would

never do it.....I don't even share with someone I do know, so sharing

a cabin with a stranger? Not in my life......just too many factors

coming into play.

I've never done that through a cruise line, but I have through a travel agency that specialized in cruises for solo travelers, and will pair them up. Traveled with them twice, and I have to say it was great. Once I had a great roommate that I ended up spending a lot of time with. The other time we didn't click quite as well, but I didn't need to spend any time with her outside the room, so it worked out fine. I did enjoy not paying the solo fare!

I would still consider traveling with that group again if the situation was just so. But the older I get, and the more I travel truly solo, as long as I can afford to do so, I'll probably just stick with me :)

I've never done that through a cruise line, but I have through a travel agency that specialized in cruises for solo travelers, and will pair them up. Traveled with them twice, and I have to say it was great. Once I had a great roommate that I ended up spending a lot of time with. The other time we didn't click quite as well, but I didn't need to spend any time with her outside the room, so it worked out fine. I did enjoy not paying the solo fare!

I would still consider traveling with that group again if the situation was just so. But the older I get, and the more I travel truly solo, as long as I can afford to do so, I'll probably just stick with me :)

Hi, glad it worked out for you:) and that the other person was honest,

mature, knew right from wrong and oh yes, didn't snore or bring

someone back to your cabin in the middle of the night. (no those things

have never happened to me) but are just a few things I can think of that

could go terribly wrong).:eek:...and remember some folks are "clingy":eek:

I always just stick with me too:D.....not sure how old you are but

I am 57 and set in my ways and 1 major thing for me? My space......

it is just too important for me to give it up.

Hi, glad it worked out for you:) and that the other person was honest,

mature, knew right from wrong and oh yes, didn't snore or bring

someone back to your cabin in the middle of the night. (no those things

have never happened to me) but are just a few things I can think of that

could go terribly wrong).:eek:...and remember some folks are "clingy":eek:

I always just stick with me too:D.....not sure how old you are but

I am 57 and set in my ways and 1 major thing for me? My space......

it is just too important for me to give it up.

lol, Lois! I'm 53 now, and did that when I was in my early 40s. As I said, now I'm less likely to be as flexible regarding other people's quirks, and more aware of my own! I definitely prefer being on my own now.

Just thought that might be another option for people who are less comfortable to explore.

lol, Lois! I'm 53 now, and did that when I was in my early 40s. As I said, now I'm less likely to be as flexible regarding other people's quirks, and more aware of my own! I definitely prefer being on my own now.

Just thought that might be another option for people who are less comfortable to explore.

Oh, it is an option for sure:).....and if someone is comfortable with it?

Then they should definitely go for it;)......I am happy as a clam going

by myself:D

Funny I should come across your post at this time. I was thinking of taking a hosted cruise in October for Halloween if I can get time off from work. I was concerned about it being a 'forced fun' atmosphere or a 'meat market' with a good majority of people drinking and trying to pick each other up. I'm a woman in my mid 40's, a bit on the quiet side and that is NOT the atmosphere I was looking for. While there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for it.

Maybe i'll stick to my original plan which is to just sail solo on RC which is what I've been doing.

Thanks for the info....

I travel solo quite a bit. A few years ago decided to try a "singles" cruise and discovered this particular group was a meat market. After having a few conversations, I found out many had set up hook-ups via e-mail prior to the cruise. I observed jealousy from women competing to spend time with certain men. It was a real turn off.

I travel solo because my husband does not like cruising, and I like to meet other solo passengers (not single) to share expenses on shore excursions, or hanging out at an evening show. I love my alone time.

I'm sailing on the Getaway on Halloween 15 with group I've sailed with in the past, and looking forward to going to the studio lounge a few nights.

Any solo's on the Victory 10/26/15. I jumped on a short 5 day cruise prior to the 12 day on the Getaway.

That was my observation too, cat eye. I never even check the singles board here. Dinner and sharing excursions is my goal.

I am single and solo cruiser, but I have no desire what so ever to go on singles cruise. I love my alone time and frankly don't like being in groups. I am an introvert, so I prefer one on one conversations or a very small gathering of people.

I have no problem eating on my own, actually prefer it that way, unless I really enjoy someone's company I would rather eat by myself.

The only time that I really love company is when I go dancing. I absolutely love to dance and dancing on my own is just weird for me.

Edited by cruiseelady

That was my observation too, cat eye. I never even check the singles board here. Dinner and sharing excursions is my goal.

I totally agree I have tried singles cruises about 10 years ago but would no do one now. I like meeting people and having people to share dinner and hang out with but not to that extent.., Way too much drama and yes a lot of the hookups are planned pre- cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the RCCL Single program? I have never gone solo before but I am tired of waiting for someone to cruise with me.

I booked my first solo cruise May of last year because I couldn't find anyone to go with me and LOVED IT! I had so much fun that I don't want to invite anyone now. I ended up going on 3 cruises last year, have been on one in May of this year and have just booked 2 weeks in Carnival Glory for Oct 31th sailing the southern Caribbean.

Carnival often has a great deals. After my first cruise they have sent me some great offers through their VIFP club. These last offers start as low as $25-100 and some are as long as 2 weeks. That's for an inside. I usually pay more to get a balcony but still get a great deal along with $100 onboard credit.

I haven't tried traveling on any of the other lines yet. I do want to do the South American around the horn and other places that Carnival doesn't travel to but I just couldn't resist the price of this cruise and I haven't been to any of the ports on this one.

I have noticed that NCL often offers a discounted price for solos. You have to do a mock booking to find the discounted price.

I have been on Princess and NCL when my Husband was alive. So far I have never had a bad or disappointing cruise!

I booked my first solo cruise May of last year because I couldn't find anyone to go with me and LOVED IT! I had so much fun that I don't want to invite anyone now. I ended up going on 3 cruises last year, have been on one in May of this year and have just booked 2 weeks in Carnival Glory for Oct 31th sailing the southern Caribbean.

Carnival often has a great deals. After my first cruise they have sent me some great offers through their VIFP club. These last offers start as low as $25-100 and some are as long as 2 weeks. That's for an inside. I usually pay more to get a balcony but still get a great deal along with $100 onboard credit.

I haven't tried traveling on any of the other lines yet. I do want to do the South American around the horn and other places that Carnival doesn't travel to but I just couldn't resist the price of this cruise and I haven't been to any of the ports on this one.

I have noticed that NCL often offers a discounted price for solos. You have to do a mock booking to find the discounted price.

I have been on Princess and NCL when my Husband was alive. So far I have never had a bad or disappointing cruise!

It does take some getting used to but I've found that cruising is so easy as a solo as compared to most other land vacations. People don't really know if you're alone [unless you're dining alone] and, on a cruise you can be sitting with total strangers and make them friends [if you want to!]

I also like to go to the Lido and have dinner or go to a specialty dining room on occasion. Princess keeps their buffet open late as opposed to Carnival who really doesn't have much to offer in late dining in the buffet area.

Every ship has something different for everyone. You just have to find the one that fits your niche and soon you'll be traveling the world onboard a lovely floating hotel.

My husband loved Princess and HAL for different reasons. And, he didn't care if we had a veranda or not. Now, when I cruise, I love having a veranda and sitting out watching the land or ocean go by! He would think that it was a huge waste of money......me, I like the wind blowing through my hair and watching the stars on my own deck.

I just booked my first solo cruise....LoisR will be proud of me :)

Once I heard that the Harmony of the Seas had solo cabins I fgured it was a sign that I should book my next Med trip :D

I normally meet so many people on the roll call thread that it won't be a problem finding dinner mates and coordinating independent shore trips - so decided to go for it!

Ooohhhh I didn't realise the harmony had solo cabins! Which date are you sailing? I had an email through for her maiden voyage, so tempted!

I am going on my first solo cruise next Sunday so if I get hooked maybe I will look at the harmony for next year!! Exciting :)))))

Ooohhhh I didn't realise the harmony had solo cabins! Which date are you sailing? I had an email through for her maiden voyage, so tempted!

I am going on my first solo cruise next Sunday so if I get hooked maybe I will look at the harmony for next year!! Exciting :)))))

September 18, 2016. There is one last inside single cabin left - category SI. The oceanviews are about $300 more and the category is SO.

I took a serious look at the Epic and it was a close call. If I hadn't found an inside cabin the price difference would have been too much and I would have booked the Epic myself!

I was hard to find insides still available - you should go for it!

Edited by LEtue

I have just had a little look & found a studio on the harmony on June 7th for the 5 night sailing! Very tempted :)

I am sure once I get back from the Epic I will have the cruise bug again & want to book for next year! Will have a look at September too.....thanks for the info! :)

I have been on a bit solo cruise booking mission lately.. 2016 I plan to be on the anthem and for 2017 it was a toss up between the RCI Harmony and CCL Vista. I chose the vista as the cruise a little cheaper for the time period that I was looking for and similar itinerary. I am hoping at some point I will be able to try an NCL ship but at the earliest it will be 2018 because as a solo I don't have enough discretionary income to do more than one a year unless i come across an amazing deal.

Carnival Fascination April 18, 2016

Just booked this repositioning as my first solo cruise - got a good deal and just couldn't pass it up. A bit nervous, but mostly just about dinner in the MDR. I have bad visions of me at a big table where no one else shows up! I'm sure regardless of how that all plays out I'll have fun. Anyone else booked on this one? Just started a roll call thread since there wasn't one yet.

Just booked a 4-night Bahamas on Norwegian Sky for 12/5/16. Got a solo balcony for $609. Doesn't sound that great but it includes a free beverage package, which I intend to make use of. First time booking on NCL, see how I like it on a short run. Most other dates were much higher.