Splendida in Tunisia today

Host Jacquelyn

This is horrible news. I was at the Bardo Museum four years ago on a ship's excursion, which was one of the highlights of my cruise. It has been reported saying that 19 are dead and 17 of them were tourists. I feel absolutely sick about this.

The text below is an excerpt. I'll post a link to the article below the excerpt.

Some of the Italians at the museum were believed to have been passengers aboard the Costa Fascinosa, a cruise liner making a seven-day trip of the western Mediterranean that had docked in Tunis. Ship owner Costa Crociere confirmed that some of its 3,161 passengers were visiting the capital Wednesday and that a Bardo tour was on the itinerary, but said it couldn't confirm how many passengers were in the museum at the time.

The cruise ship recalled all the passengers to the ship and was in touch with local authorities and the Italian Foreign Ministry.

Here is the link to the full article

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/reports-shots-fired-major-tunisian-museum-29720406

This also from MSC - Translated from Italian....

As for the events that are currently taking place in Tunis, particularly at the National Museum of Bardo, MSC Cruises confirms that: - One of our ships, MSC Splendida, is currently in the port of La Goulette, Tunis - currently of the facts, some of the guests were in MSC Splendida different shore excursions, including one at the National Museum of Bardo. - All coaches on tour were immediately recalled to port and all other tours and activities on the ground were immediately suspended. MSC Cruises is in close contact with the Italian Foreign Ministry, with the local authorities, with the Master of the vessel with the local port authority to constantly monitor the evolution of the situation. Updates will follow in the coming hours.

I'm sorry for the victims :(

Safety aside, is Tunis worth such a heavy presence of MSC? They must get very good conditions for a port where so many people don't even dare going ashore. I visited the country years ago for a week and it's capital was not that interesting to me. There are plenty of other nice places in the western Mediterranean sea.

From CNN:

"...At least two cruise ships were docked in Tunis at the time. The Costa Fascinosa carried more than 3,000 passengers, said Costa Cruise, its parent company. And some guests of the MSC Splendida were on tours at the Bardo Museum on Wednesday, said MSC, its parent company.

Polish, Italian, German and Spanish tourists are among those killed, Essid said, with another 20 tourists plus two Tunisians wounded in the attack. He suggested that the terrorists wanted to hurt Tunisia's economy by going after tourists..."

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/18/africa/tunisia-parliament-evacuated/

I'm sorry for the victims :(

Safety aside, is Tunis worth such a heavy presence of MSC? They must get very good conditions for a port where so many people don't even dare going ashore. I visited the country years ago for a week and it's capital was not that interesting to me. There are plenty of other nice places in the western Mediterranean sea.

I find Tunisia a beautiful country and Tunis a lovely capital. Going there really gave you a good aspect on the 'other' part of the Med and in my opinion was a very nice inclusion on the cruise.

I am very sad to see what has happened there today, knowing how proud many Tunisians are of their country and that they abhor such violence.

My prayers are with everybody involved in this situation and I wish Tunisia a quick recovery and a return to stability soon.

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

I spoke to a rep at MSC who told me that all passengers were accounted for, and onboard the ship, and they are only waiting for the OK from the Port Authority to depart. That is great news if it is true, however, I am questioning how much the rep really knew or was able to disclose. I wouldn't treat this as breaking news; I just hope it is true.

I find Tunisia a beautiful country and Tunis a lovely capital. Going there really gave you a good aspect on the 'other' part of the Med and in my opinion was a very nice inclusion on the cruise.

I am very sad to see what has happened there today, knowing how proud many Tunisians are of their country and that they abhor such violence.

My prayers are with everybody involved in this situation and I wish Tunisia a quick recovery and a return to stability soon.

I agree with you. I was there 4 years ago and loved my full-day excursion which included the Bardo, Carthage, U.S. military cemetary, etc. I found the guide and the locals to be very welcoming. The suks was amazing. What a shame that another country has to be struck off the ports list. I am sure no ship will go there anytime soon. Tunisia also has some nice resorts on the Med which are popular with the Europeans. I can picture the Bardo and can imagine how terrified the people must have been. What a terrible loss.

Costa Reports 14 Missing Passengers after Tunis Attack:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12357-costa-reports-14-missing-passengers-after-tunis-attack.html

MSC Statement:

UPDATE: With respect to the tragic events that are currently unfolding in Tunis, MSC Cruises confirms the following:

One of our ships, MSC Splendida was calling the port of La Goulette, Tunis with 3,714 guests and 1,267 crew members aboard.

At the time of the events, some of MSC Splendida guests were on shore excursions, including to the Bardo National Museum. Consequently, all MSC Cruises coaches on tour at the time of the events were immediately ordered back to the port and all other excursions and on the ground activities were immediately suspended.

At this time, the return of passengers to the ship is still undergoing (please note that all the passengers of United States and Canadian nationality are all accounted for and safely back on board).

The ship’s departure, originally scheduled for tonight, was postponed. For this, local security authorities set up exceptional security measures in the port and around the ships to ensure the utmost safety of MSC Cruises’ guests and crew members.

An MSC Cruises team comprised of representatives from the Company’s ownership, its management and dedicated Care task force is currently on its way to Tunisia to provide all possible support to guests on board and to work closely with local authorities.

MSC Cruises remains in close contact with the relevant national and international authorities, local authorities, the ship captain as well as with the port agent to constantly monitor the situation as it unfolds.

She is still in port at 23:50 GMT

image from a live ship map with time and date shown on my desk top

splendida.jpg

COSTA FASCINOSA is berthed next to Splendida at this time

Pete

Edited by Skier52