Corfu diy

envy4u

Hi, we walked to the old town from where the ships dock, very nice easy walk :)

Along the way there are numerous places to rent an ATV if you want, if not, there's a nice little fish/produce market outside the old town, & inside there's a number of old churches, buildings, St. Spyridon's is interesting, lots of little cafes to relax, have a drink & people watch.

post #36 on my review linked below starts my Corfu day review... we hit some stormy weather, so we took it easy that day

What are the must sees and do?

We do not want to rent a car.

Is the town walkable from the ship? Otherwise, is there a shuttle?

Any suggestions appreciated.

This isn't much of a video, but does show the old town. From memory we took a short taxi from the ship, but walked back (about 10 minutes ?) All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]tiA0NW1Iyjs[/YOUTUBE]

There's a very frequent local bus service that takes you to the town centre from outside the port gate, every ten minutes or less.

Costs just a euro or two.

Very simple both ways.

Mebbe I'm lazy, but I feel sure it's a lot more than ten minutes on foot?

Mebbe take the bus in, note the distance, & decide on the day whether to walk back.

A couple of castles, but Corfu town is primarily for shopping - lots of little shops & bars.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We rented a driver to bring us around for the day. I don't recall that it was expensive. This is the blog post of our day in Corfu.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.com/2013/12/corfu-greece-port-of-call.html

Some videos:

Views from Kaiser's Throne, Pelakas

[YOUTUBE]hf1qmbcaeeU[/YOUTUBE]

Paleokastritsa Monastery views

[YOUTUBE]yEzpuwcniiw[/YOUTUBE]

Driving through a small village with narrow roads.

[YOUTUBE]Qzz6gclv__U[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 months later...

Iluvcruising2; thank you for the videos! We're headed to Corfu in June and it's helpful to have a sense of what where we'll be going. Plus, the video of driving down the narrow streets took me back to our years living in Naples, Italy. LOVED driving there ... maybe we'll rent a scooter and zip around Corfu! :D

We rented a small car in Corfu a few years ago and had a blast driving from beach to beach. Some of the roads are very narrow so driving there is not for the faint of heart. But the flexibility to go and see anything you want is very nice.

Chris

We took a taxi to a local beach (had a hard time convincing driver not to take us to the tourist beach further from town). Local beach was terrific -- small fee to enter. Swimming off dock best as it is bit rock near shore. Walked from there to Taverna situated next to the bay and enjoyed some fried cheese, good bread and cold beer. Taxi driver came back for us as promised at 1:00. Had driver drop us off in town. Walked around shops, lovely stores and shop keepers friendly. Then we walked back to ship -- big mistake -- too hot and too far. Should have taken taxi back to ship from town. Otherwise great time in Corfu.

Kathy

Guess the walk depends on how mobile you are. We are two older ladies that would never have walked that two miles. We opted for a taxi (at 10 EUR one way) and that took nearly 10 minutes. He dropped us at a bank and we walked the Old Town core for most of the day (shopping, eating, just people watching, etc). Finally made it to the town square where there were carriage rides. We splurged, then upon returning to the square took a taxi back to the ship for the same 10 EUR one way.

Grand Princess DID NOT offer a shuttle and we were docked at the far end of the pier. NCL Jade did offer a shuttle to the end of the pier, and they let Princess passengers utilize the shuttle too. It is a long walk from the road to the end of the pier to board the ship.

Corfu was very pretty and colorful. Kind of a relaxing atmosphere for just wandering. We had no particular destination or plan.

Happy travels and have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice here and I appreciated the links too. Did anyone see the Hellenic Temple? I see pictures of it, but wonder if it is on a distant island because no one seems to have actually been there. Also, for those who went to the Achellon Palace - is it worth it? Or would you suggest going to vistas and saving my walking for a few blocks in town at the end of a taxi or a few hour long excursion. (I can walk, but only for short distances so I am trying to be selective. I would go to the palace if it is a "must see".)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Corfu, we took a taxi to Ambelonas and had a lovely traditional meal in an old olive farm. One of the highlights of our trip.

http://realcorfu.com/ambelonas/

Hi Newgrange,

We're heading to Corfu next month and this sounds great! Do you recall approximately what the cost was per person, including everything? I want to ask a couple of friends to join us and it would be nice to give them an idea of the cost. The website doesn't have much info.

Thanks!:)

We are headed that way in August. Do you remember how much you paid for the taxi to Ambelonas? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

See my post right above yours - the current lunch price is 35 euro. Dinner is a la carte from the menu.

Edited by Lookingforthesun

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We took a taxi to a local beach (had a hard time convincing driver not to take us to the tourist beach further from town). Local beach was terrific -- small fee to enter. Swimming off dock best as it is bit rock near shore. Walked from there to Taverna situated next to the bay and enjoyed some fried cheese, good bread and cold beer. Taxi driver came back for us as promised at 1:00. Had driver drop us off in town. Walked around shops, lovely stores and shop keepers friendly. Then we walked back to ship -- big mistake -- too hot and too far. Should have taken taxi back to ship from town. Otherwise great time in Corfu.

Kathy

Hello

Could you tell me the name of this beach and how to get to it?

THanks

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the beach, we paid a couple of Euros to enter however I can't find the receipt either.

There is some info on Trip Advisor and below is info I picked up from a Greek travel site:

You need to take bus from Corfu town for any good beach. Near Corfu is Dassia, a 15 minutes trip with urban bus.

In Corfu town (no bus need), you can swim in Faliraki (behind the St Michael and George's Palace) or in Vido island (ferry every 30 minutes from the old port).

I am guessing we went to Faliraki. It was a bit rocky and best to swim from end of pier. We had to talk to several taxi drivers before we could convince one of them we wanted to go to the local beach in town and not off to the resort beaches. Finally one agreed and we arranged to have him take us there and come back in a few hours and pick us up and take us to town. After a swim and relaxing in the sun, we walked a block from the beach entrance to a restaurant situated by the water and enjoyed fried Greek cheese and bread before walking back to meet our taxi. After we were dropped off in town, we spent a couple hours going through the stores, etc. Our wrong move for the day was when we decided to walk back to the ship! It was much further than we thought and very hot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by tomko2