SOLO Cabins - Studios & Staterooms

cruisevv

I've cruised in the RCL studio featured in the video. I had the exact same cabin on the starboard, but one deck lower. I thought it was a great cabin, but IMO it would be tight for two adults and the beds don't separate. I can't believe the price would be so terrific for two people either.

The balcony is really huge in the cabins ending in '48'. It is smaller in the '50' cabins and regular size in the '52' cabins.

One thing that happened on my cruise was that a super studio balcony guarantee was offered (no supplement) and the folks I met who booked it all got regular balconies. This guarantee offering was kind of a secret code for solo balcony rate with no supplement.

Anyone ever cruised in a cabin geared specifically for solos?

The ones I'm aware of:

Super Studio

Cruise line: Royal Caribbean

Ships: Quantum, Anthem

Special: Includes balcony

Review/Vid:

Studio

Cruise line: Norwegian

Ships: Epic, Getaway

Special: Studio-only Lounge

Review/Vid:

I've been in a studio on the NCL Epic twice. Did you have a question about it?

I've been in a studio on the NCL Epic twice. Did you have a question about it?

Did you like it? My first impression from vids/pics is that its very tiny and very loud (the bright purple color scheme is more party than relaxing). What did you think? How was the Solo Lounge?

Edited by cruisevv

I like the look of the RCCL studio balconies! The NCL ones are a bit too claustrophobic for my liking. I like to be able to see outside and have some natural light. The idea of a window onto the corridor really didnt appeal. It looks functional though. I wish RCCL would roll out more solo balcony rooms across the fleet. Having to pay double just to get a an oceanview room (no balcony) on my upcoming cruise really bites.

The RCCL studios that were added to older chips, like the Serenade and Jewel, are clearly an afterthought, and I feel insulting. I cannot comment on the newer ships, but those rooms are still so expensive. The NCL studios are small but not insulting. To me, thought was put into them to make them appealing, despite the 100 sf. And the studio lounge also says, "We want solo travelers." Going NCL, for me, was a great way to begin solo traveling.

But Quantum and Anthem are new. WHY did they make such deep balconies that are as large as or larger than the room itself? It's a little weird.

Don't complain! It's wonderful. The '48' cabins are essentially hump cabins - you just have to walk out to the balcony edge to be on the hump. It's nice to know that solos have a chance at a primo balcony cabin on a new ship without paying double. The whole cabin/balcony wildly exceeded my expectations.

Did you like it? My first impression from vids/pics is that its very tiny and very loud (the bright purple color scheme is more party than relaxing). What did you think? How was the Solo Lounge?

You can change the light color and brightness to fit your mood; it doesn't have to stay purple. Can be red, blue, white, bright or dim.

There's no escaping the fact that the studio is tiny. But so is the price as opposed to paying a 200% single supplement elsewhere. It's modern and functional. I only bring a carry on piece of luggage and I had plenty of space for clothes storage.

If you are a large person, the shower or toilet may seem cramped, if you are a regular size then no problem.

On my 1st Epic, I was in the studio lounge before dinner time, and NCL had a rep who organized plans for the different MDR's each night. Very helpful. Some people hooked up, others planned excursions together or made plans for ship activities.

My 2nd Epic I did the 7 night dining pkg and thought that was a great experience. If I return for a 3rd go I'd probably go for a mixture of maybe 3 specialty and 4 regular meals.

The entertainment on Epic was fantastic, Cirque dinner show, BMG, 2ndCity, Dueling Pianos, Legends, all were great.

My next NCL could very well be NY/NJ to Bermuda, and I would do a solo cabin again, np.

Don't complain! It's wonderful. The '48' cabins are essentially hump cabins - you just have to walk out to the balcony edge to be on the hump. It's nice to know that solos have a chance at a primo balcony cabin on a new ship without paying double. The whole cabin/balcony wildly exceeded my expectations.

*laughs* As you wish. I guess its personal preference. I have to admit, I'm sure those balconies are great for small parties with friends. No one has to dance around the bed.

You can change the light color and brightness to fit your mood; it doesn't have to stay purple. Can be red, blue, white, bright or dim.

There's no escaping the fact that the studio is tiny. But so is the price as opposed to paying a 200% single supplement elsewhere. It's modern and functional. I only bring a carry on piece of luggage and I had plenty of space for clothes storage.

Thanks for the detailed review! Just what I needed. I also only bring a carry-on with me.

Here are enough details to make your eyes glaze over! There was a discussion somewhere about these cabins having "obstructed" views. The picture in post 268 was taken from my balcony looking aft down the side of the ship.

Quantum

These pictures tell it all. The only thing missing is the " obstructed " view, which can be seen on the Jan 23 live post - I think day 2. Post 268 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2154636&page=14

What you have to understand is that in order to enjoy your obstructed view, you must go 11 feet out to the closest balcony rail and look aft. From the cabin or the bulk of the balcony area, you can only see the ocean. You can look directly down at the water from the long side of the balcony.

I did just measure the cabin. Approximate sizes are:

1). Cabin door direct to back wall - 13 feet

2). Cabin width - about 8 feet 4 inches (100 inches)

3). Balcony door area - 16 inches to outer lip and 67 inches wide

4). Balcony width - about 8 feet 4 inches

5). Balcony long side - 16 feet

6). Balcony shirt side - almost 11 feet

7). Bathroom - 53 inches deep by 62 inches wide with one corner angled for door.

8) Bed is 55 inches wide and 75 inches long and is square on the end.

The cabin is not completely a rectangle. Each cabin door is recessed about 28 inches from the edge of the hallway. The back of the bathroom is recessed into the 28 inch areaon one side of the door, so it doesn't overwhelm the visual of the room. Doors open out instead of in, which is really good.

On entry to the cabin the side of the bathroom is only 23 inches before the bathroom door angle starts going out to 41 inches.

I agree. I think allowing studios to have a balcony is AWESOME! i hope the Ovation has them too and i'll definitely be checking its trips out when it comes to Oz if it does

Hello, I did a studio on the Epic in 2011 and loved it- but more so because of the whole solo experience. I really only slept in the room and changed/showered there.

On my last 2 Breakaways, I upgraded to a balcony a week before.

I am conflicted as to whether I really need one. i have a tendency to feel as though I am cheating myself by isolating myself when at sea.

I usually encourage people to book a studio and then upgrade in the end if they get a deal or to just book last minute if possible (I can only do this myself by taking the week off months in advance and rolling the dice)

To me , the best part of the balcony was having extra space to unpack and more outlets. And yes, the space outside is nice and in my opinion the beds in the balcony are more comfortable.

However, if you are going on the ship to be more social and be out more, I don't think it is a dealbreaker.

Howard, two things. First, I've not even been attending the solo get together when I have a balcony. Weird? And secondly, you gotta go on the BA to Bermuda! Awesome cruise!

Hello, Mrobstad! I did Bermuda in 2013 and think I prefer that route to the PC/GSC/NAU one. I am debating going last minute this year or waiting until next year and doing the 12/17-12/24 Escape for a few reasons:

-New ship, would do studio as there would be more to see, greater sense of detachment leaving from miami and good price, plus company holiday monday so extra recovery time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back to your original question...what ships have solo cabins, this is what my research turned up:

NCL: Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Pride of America

RCCL: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas have "studios", Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas have "single cabins"

P&O: Azura, Britannia, Ventura, Arcadia, Aurora, Oriana

Fred. Olsen: I think all of them have some kind of single cabin, some oceanview and balconies available

Cunard: Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria, and Queen Mary 2, some oceanview

Costa: Classica, Fascinosa, Favolosa, Fortuna, Magica, neoRomantica, Pacifica, and Serena

HAL: MS Prinsendam (unconfirmed and maybe just a few??), MS Koningsdam due in 2016

Lindblad Expeditions: all ships

Emerald Waterways: two on every ship

American Queen Steamboat Company: American Queen

Unconfirmed but AmaWaterways, Avalon Waterways, Viking, and CroisiEurope are rumored to have a few across their fleets

This is information I have gathered from the boards here at CC and over a year of solo traveler research. I can't guarantee that this is complete or correct!

• 2 weeks later...
Back to your original question...what ships have solo cabins, this is what my research turned up:

RCCL: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas have "studios", Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas have "single cabins"

Fred. Olsen: I think all of them have some kind of single cabin, some oceanview and balconies available

Costa: Classica, Fascinosa, Favolosa, Fortuna, Magica, neoRomantica, Pacifica, and Serena

HAL: MS Prinsendam (unconfirmed and maybe just a few??), MS Koningsdam due in 2016

Unconfirmed but AmaWaterways, Avalon Waterways, Viking, and CroisiEurope are rumored to have a few across their fleets

This is information I have gathered from the boards here at CC and over a year of solo traveler research. I can't guarantee that this is complete or correct!

RCCL Harmony of the Seas (under construction) will have single cabins on deck 4 - http://www.cruiseshipdeckplan.com/harmony-of-the-seas/

Hi, just to add an ***....AMA Waterways does have single

cabins:D...I am going on my first RIVER CRUISE with them in April

2016:D....I am in one of those cabins;) so that is a confirmation to your list:)

(More than just a rumor LOL)....it is a fact.

Edited by Lois R