What currency in Greece?

bookworm61

For once the Americans are sort of neutral in these events and the opinions coming from Germany, UK, and Greece are interesting to compare.

Right, but this advice it's not just a opinion.

It's quite simpel:

If you've booked a pre-paid private tour for example, the driver/guide (in Europe mostly freelancers) wants cash and the fuel station wants also cash, because they get no cash from their bank at the moment, a bank crash is imminent and they have to pay all in cash too. If the tour-company also get's no cash from their bank (what is a fact at the moment, because all banks are closed), they are not able to pay the fuel and the driver, even if they want to.

This is just the way it is, no bad Greek if he denies your pre-paid item, but only a victim of circumstances in such a situation, as you may be one.

This is very important to understand!

Edited by German Giant

Right, but this advice it's not just a opinion.

It's quite simpel:

If you've booked a pre-paid private tour for example, the driver/guide (in Europe mostly freelancers) wants cash and the fuel station wants also cash, because they get no cash from their bank at the moment, a bank crash is imminent and they have to pay all in cash too. If the tour-company also get's no cash from their bank (what is a fact at the moment, because all banks are closed), they are not able to pay the fuel and the driver, even if they want to.

This is just the way it is, no bad Greek if he denies your pre-paid item, but only a victim of circumstances in such a situation, as you may be one.

This is very important to understand!

Yes I understand. I have nothing prepaid except one night in a hotel. But let me tell you how this New York mind thinks. If the operator of an excursion thinks I'm going to pay twice lol lol lol. I just won't. I'll take a bus or walk to a beach and sit on a towel. We consider that being ripped off (cheated out of money). I'm on a cruise so the cruise line and tour operators can figure it out, I am not worried

I checked all of our reservations we made for private tours for payment terms on our upcoming Celebrity cruise. I was happy to discover that only one tour requires Euros. The others can be paid by credit card or USD, even in Turkey. Several of them were quoted in USD so I checked to make sure that is how payment could be made.

Just a reminder to check your payment terms with tour providers.:)

The others can be paid by credit card or USD, ..

If they are in Greece, I would not trust in!

Outside of Greece there are no problems and no crises, if Euros, Liras, Kunars or whatever, you can pay as you like. Also all ATMs should be filled well (except in cruiseports near Greece, by the reason that a lot of cruise passengers try to get cash for upcoming Greece ports) and all banks are open as normal.

Edited by German Giant

Thanks for explaining it for us. I have to say that even in NYC the financial capital and home to many Greeks, there is very little in the news.

It's been on all three national TV channels (ABC, NBC, CBS), on morning and evening news, every day, in as much detail as is available. Also on radio, such as PBS/NPR and others of all perspectives.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

It's been on all three national TV channels (ABC, NBC, CBS), on morning and evening news, every day, in as much detail as is available. Also on radio, such as PBS/NPR and others of all perspectives.

My post was last week. And it's on the news now but is it the first story not usually. Are you saying I'm lying about this?

There is coverage on CNN re the huge crowds gathering in central Athens in advance of the midnight deadline. Our stock market as well as other world markets have been affected. It is being covered for sure.

Yes. Now it is being covered but how it affects those of us who will be traveling to Greece very shortly we needed to learn from Cruise Critic folks, to whom I'm greatful

Just watching on our news way up here our little corner of the world about the situation in Greece. They are saying it will affect financial markets world wide. Currently, there are long line-ups at ATMs (they're saying 4-5 hr waits have been reported - whether that is true or not is hard to say) and the maximum amount anyone can withdraw is something like $60 or $80 a day. The banks are closed so it's being reported that businesses will not accept credit cards, travellers cheques, etc (as they have no way to get their $$).

I hope the situation remains calm, however I fear that the country is on the brink of mass panic/demonstrations, etc. If you do go (i.e. the ships are not re-routed, etc), everyone please be safe (and don't carry any more cash ashore than you think you may need - there are people who will take advantage of the situation I'm sure knowing that tourists may be carrying more cash than usual because credit cards can't be used)

Please explain "widely" at exactly your choosen excursions and points of interrest!

Just reporting what US news reported yesterday. I don't have specific excursions tied to this. I don't know about acceptance (or not) of euros, but no matter which currency you plan to use, you should probably bring all the cash you think you'll need in Greece since ATM withdrawals are severely limited.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

A lot of misinformation or exaggeration around in news networks i am afraid :(

nick_arch here, mainly TA contributor, rarely checking things here. I have created the thread referred above ( thank you :) )

As i have reposted:

- Atm's stopped working indeed for 12 - 18 hours during last weekend. The problem was in many cases poor re-supply rate because of extremely high demand on cash withdrawals. The problem was not that much felt in tourist areas, still it was intense for that time in residential suburban areas.

- During this interval credit cards were normally accepted where they are, online web banking was operative while debit cards could also be used as cash to pay.

- Atm's function has been back to normal gradually from the day before yesterday Monday, June 29th morning when atm's were filled up again with cash.

- Atm's now work fine with no queues and with no limit for internationally issued cards. A daily limit has been imposed though for debit cards issued locally, so as locals we can withdraw only up to 60 euros a day while we can use debit cards elctronically with no issues.

- Legel tender here in Greece is the Euro. I doubt many businesses will accept US. I am almost sure any supermarket, especially in Athens for example, would decline a payment in USD. Tourism related on the islands may be accepting USD payments when you don't have any euros, doing the conversion for you, still i doubt this is a common practice.

Although the advise given is to carry as much cash as possible. . . well. . i 'd be a little hesitant to do so.

Realoty for a cruise ship traveller is different than a simple traveller. You have all the access you need in euros ( although admiteddly in poor exchange rates ) in the cruise ship or in other ports of call. Atm's ARE functioning and give cash.

Carrying around a lot of cash anywhere in the world is not a good idea in my opinion. It creates challenges and safety issues. You don't need an external factor to lose money. . . i have managed to lose a lot of moeny by myself by leaving a pouch full with my cash in an airport's restrooms some years ago. . . poof, it was gone when i returned. And then it's pickpocketing which can be a huge issue in ports of call in Spain and Italy, also in Greece although in lower rates.

Judging from the circumstances, i 'd say that carrying some cash is a good idea but carrying an awfully lot of cash is not a good idea, especially when debit cards work, credit cards work and in this forum we are talking about cruise ship passengers that anyway return to their ship for meals and night over.

So, plz, do use common sense and focus on the real analogies of the circumstances.

Greece has terrible fiscal issues, desperately needs reforms and many many many other changes. This is one thing and imagining people will be fighting in front of an atm is another thing. Even during the 12 - 24 hours atm's were out of order or queues of 10 - 50 people formed, people behaved and were calm. Worried but calm.

And if you were in a tourist area in Athens. like Plaka, or Syndagma or a resort on an island or the mainland, you would not realise there is an issue going on.

Which is already mostly solved anyway.

Will this be the same in the future?

Situation in Greece is volatile. . . but it has extremely rarely impacted tourists.

For now, i 'd keep an eye on real on-ground conditions ( it's pretty calm right now ) and carry *some* cash to cover unexpected expenses, still i would avoid carrying a fortune of euros around, either because it's not a wise option anywhere in the world, or because atm's function almost properly in Greece right now.

Thanks for reading. . . wishing the best to all. . . 'll try to keep an eye here, although load of questions is hugely bigger in Trip Advisor where most of my free time is focused on.

Best trips to all. . . njoy!

Edited by nick_arch

A lot of misinformation or exaggeration around in news networks i am afraid :(

Thank you Nick. As you are right there in Athens with first hand knowledge and observations, PLEASE continue to report back here on cruise critic in the coming days and weeks, with information on what is actually happening, so that all the wild guesses, speculation and erroneous information as reported elsewhere can be corrected or clarified as needed. :)

Thank you Nick. As you are right there in Athens with first hand knowledge and observations, PLEASE continue to report back here on cruise critic in the coming days and weeks, with information on what is actually happening, so that all the wild guesses, speculation and erroneous information as reported elsewhere can be corrected or clarified as needed. :)

Thanks to Nick also - although I personally am not going to Greece, it is of great benefit to those here on the boards to have access to this type of information from someone who is there on the ground. Apparently, there is a discrepancy between what the news is broadcasting (or it's not up-to-date) and what information Nick was kind enough to supply.

Would be good for him/her to keep updating as to the monetary and social situation.

Thank you Nick for all the useful info. We have been watching all this closely, as we are traveling in about 70 days. Our media here in the states tend to exaggerate the situation, i.e. terrorism. I'm not saying these issues are not important, its just the focus is just not realistic.

Its good to hear from someone who is in the middle of a situation.

Edited by TinkBellaMom

I didn't mean to take all the cash you could, just all that you'd think you would need. But credit cards are a much better idea for anything that can be paid for using one. Glad the ATM problem was temporary. I hope it continues to improve.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Hey Zedjp3 :) my comment is not necesarilly done having your post in mind.

I just want to counteract the advise given in many places "get as much cash as you want". It is a widely provided advise.

Things are pretty relative and this advise is so generic that fails to match with every traveller's needs.

It's different to reavel alone, different to travel in a group.

It's different to travel with a cruise ship, different to travel 10 days in rural mountainous Greece.

So, everyone has to take in mind specific of his trips and plan accordingly.

"Take all that you'd think you would need" is a good advise.

Perhaps "take all that you'd think you would need to cover unexpected expenses during your stay and all that you 'd think you can handle" is a better expression, but we both agree. . . well. . people have to show some common sense.

Remember that right now there are no problems in atm service.

Situation changes from day to day though, so checking some news, taking in real dimensions of the issue and plan accordingly is a wise thing to do.

Greece did not pay yesterday an 1.9bn installment to IMF. Although international networks played this as a "default", CNN even had a reverse clock counting till 1am local time. . . things are pretty normal today here. It is a very hot, very humid day, people are going to their jobs, resturants and cafeterias are full. I could write pages about this technical default, but i 'll just keep it to on-ground conditions and refrain from any political analysis or fiancial analysis. In such a mess all are to be blamed and everyopinion has a right side to say. But what matters here is to stick to on-ground conditions.

I am sure all travellers and readers have a personal point of view on the matter, are deeply interested about the ramifications, i 'll just try to keep it simple and stick to what i can contribute by writing about local conditions.

SITUATION FOR LOCALS:

Problem of the day: Banks opened first day today, after only two days being closed but for very limited transactions. They specifically serve elder pensionners that have no debit card to use to withdraw money from atm's. Elder pensionners are allowed to request a withdraw from a physical cashier but also are issued on the spot a debit card to use in atm's.

Queues formed in some residential areas branches were really big this morning, exclusively from elder people. They were anxious indeed. What a shame. . . Things were not that well organised. . . they could be better organised, perhaps with an announcement about specific alphabet letters being served day by day. Still, i 'd expect things to go smoother day by day. Again: this is not a widespread problem. I leave in a residential / business area, near the tourist center of Athens. Quiet and no problems.

On the other hand, a huge problem was solved. . our locally issued credit cards work again abroad. Access to locally issued credit cards was blocked by the Greek authorities three days now for transactions in foreign countries or sites. . . so Greeks can again access their credit cards. Phew. . .

SITUATION FOR TRAVELLERS

Things are normal in tourist areas. I had a quick walk during commute in Monastiraki and Acropolis Museum area. It was quiet, no signs of problems, no queues at the bank there. Again it's the residential areas where people have no access to electronic banking either because theY are older or because they lack the proper education.

Atm's work fine, credit cards work fine again. Remember this is a country where credit card use is not widespread years now. Many places a cruise ship traveller will visit will be accepting them, still smaller establishments will not be accepting them and this was the case before too. The deeper you venture in rural areas the rarer credit card machines.

So, cash is needed, just take sensibly expected amounts and not all your bank account along. . . I guess we all understand that common sense is needed.

WORRY OF THE DAY:

What would worry me today? The heat only and to remember to take my sunglasses. After some days of cloudy weathers it's full sunshine today and very hot. . . Fiscal problems are temporary, skin problems not. So: sunglasses, sunhat, comfy shooes and alot of sunblock to get a nice tan slowly.

Edited by nick_arch

SITUATION FOR TRAVELLERS Things are normal in tourist areas. I had a quick walk during commute in Monastiraki and Acropolis Museum area. It was quiet, no signs of problems, no queues at the bank there. Again it's the residential areas where people have no access to electronic banking either because theY are older or because they lack the proper education. Atm's work fine, credit cards work fine again. Remember this is a country where credit card use is not widespread years now. Many places a cruise ship traveller will visit will be accepting them, still smaller establishments will not be accepting them and this was the case before too. The deeper you venture in rural areas the rarer credit card machines.

So, cash is needed, just take sensibly expected amounts and not all your bank account along. . . I guess we all understand that common sense is needed.

Appreciate these excellent details and on-site reporting by Nick. As I recall, a year or two back, Nick was contributing very good information on many items of interest for those visiting Greece. Clearly, some media reports, at times, can get a little too simple and/or sensational.

From the New York Times with the past hour this morning, they have this headline: "Tsipras Signals Greece May Accept Bailout Terms" with these highlights by their two reporters in Athens: "The Greek government has indicated to its creditors that it is willing to accept many of the terms of a bailout package that it had earlier rejected, if they are part of a broader deal to address the country’s funding needs for the next two years, officials said on Wednesday. The development raised the prospect of progress in resolving a financial crisis that has sent shudders through global markets and deeply strained European unity."

Clearly there are broader and long-term economic and government issues involved, but Nick's reports and these most-recent news updates do seem to provide a little more "hope" that things will get worked out, somewhat, maybe. Good luck to all visiting Greece during this summer and fall.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/02/business/international/greece-bailout-tsipras.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

There have been over 11,038 views on this posting.

Thanks Nick. Sounds like anyone visiting should be prepared with some extra Euros and some patience for the Greek people who are going through a lot right now. We will have two port stops in Greece in Oct and will make our plans depending on the situation as it stands then. Last time we were in Athens it was right after the huge demonstrations and we opted for a ship's excursion and that worked out fine. Sometimes a ship's excursion can ease any worries about traffic delays/strikes/whatever when things are uneasy in a port.

In Turkey the ATM's provide Lira, not Euro's.

I have seen ATMs in Turkey which give you a choice of getting Euros or Lira, so they do exist.

White Cloud, I'm sure it varies from ATM to ATM, but our local guide for some tours next month in Istanbul told us that the ATM's do indeed dispense euros as well as US dollars! This may not have been the case when you were there if it was some time ago.

I have seen ATMs in Turkey which give you a choice of getting Euros or Lira, so they do exist.

Thanks "grandma knows best"; makes me feel better! Our tour guide in Istanbul even told us that we could pay him in whatever currency we had.

So looking forward to this trip and spending lots of money in Greece! :D