What currency in Greece?

bookworm61

All this worry and hoopla...On the Rhapsody now, headed to Italy and the last 4 days were in Thessaloniki, Mykonos, Santorini and Athens. Euro was taken and easily obtained, credit cards were taken (even after they said no take just cash, if you say you have no cash) Very few lines if any at ATM's. No reason to fear a travel to Greece at this time, during the day no signs of up rest or violence....don't believe everything the media is trying to sell!

And, american stock prices were still high on October 23, 1929, internet stock prices were still going up in early 2000, Las Vegas home prices were still going up in 2006.

If you don't want to believe that the Greek banks are in danger of total collapse within the next few days without money from the ECB, then why did the Greek government impose those drastic capital controls or ATM withdrawal limits?

Greece is facing two terrible options, Grexit or more austerity, and it seems inconceivable to me how that wouldn't affect tourism.

In the short term, at least, Grexit would be total chaos. Austerity would be less disruptive, but it did impact tourists who visited Greece in 2010 and 2012 after Greece had to accept austerity measures in exchange for bailouts in those two years.

After decisively voting against more austerity measures last week in that referendum, are the Greeks ready to go gentle into the good night and accept the same austerity measures they just voted against? In fact, the austerity measures will be even worse than what was previously on the table because the referendum stunt probably added another 20-30 billion dollars to the bailout cost.

Why will 2015 be different from 2010 and 2012?

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010

As on other days, the protesters have effectively shut down the country. The air-traffic controllers have also gone on strike and closed the airport. At the port of Piraeus, the mob prevents cruise-ship passengers from going ashore and shopping. At the height of the tourist season the tourist dollars this place so desperately needs are effectively blocked from getting into the country. Any private-sector employee who does not skip work in sympathy is in danger. All over Athens shops and restaurants close; so, for that matter, does the Acropolis.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/the-ticking-euro-bomb-what-options-are-left-for-the-common-currency-a-790568-2.html

Dimitriadis was one of those who demonstrated in the summer of 2010 against what they believed were unreasonable government austerity measures. Trucking companies nationwide went on strike, shutting everything down. For eight days, filling stations were unable to get gasoline, while supermarkets quickly ran out of fresh products. Tens of thousands of tourists were stranded, flights were delayed and ships were unable to leave port.

In a worst case scenario, I think the cruise ships will just skip the Greek ports like they were forced to do with past austerity protests.

I am here, i am here

Back from a beautiful week in Chios island.

. . . all these articles are so silly. . . it is business as usual. . .

Flights on time, fuel ok, supermarkets full, coffee places full.

Atm's get busy at some ctnral spots when shops are open. . . and a response to the nice joke about me quieing in front of an atm. . . lol. . . no. . . i have to use an atm for more than a week. I use my debit card instead. As cash.

( i actually got 60 euros from one of the numerous Athens airport atm's one week ago to have some cash to pay the cab when on Chios and have some cash in hand )

Advise is the same: Situation seems to me much more stable right now. . . i 'd still NOT rely to atm's. They are functional, they give money with no limit to travellers and international cards. . . credit cards work normal where they were accepted.

Have some euro cash in hand when you arrive, more cash if you travel independently in remote areas. . . i 'd not say you desperately need so much cash if you arrive on a cruise ship. Things are quiet, definitely safe, and i ate a lot more than i should during my quick getaway. . .

( oh, and Chios is a wonderful, wonderful wonderful island. Used to be an Azamara port of call some years go, no cruise ship arrivals this year i think, still keep it as an option if you travel independently )

Things look a-ok to me, still i 'd just take some precautions and have some cash in hand du to the volatility of the situation a week ago. Thigns may change in the future, but they certainly look a-ok to me despite the silly articles about lack of food, fuel and starving locals eager to find euros. I start believing we are being brainwashed and i was never a fan of conspiracy theories. . .

doh. . .

I am here, i am here

Atm's get busy at some ctnral spots when shops are open. . . and a response to the nice joke about me quieing in front of an atm. . . lol. . . no. . . i have to use an atm for more than a week. I use my debit card instead. As cash.

( i actually got 60 euros from one of the numerous Athens airport atm's one week ago to have some cash to pay the cab when on Chios and have some cash in hand )

Advise is the same: Situation seems to me much more stable right now. . . i 'd still NOT rely to atm's. They are functional, they give money with no limit to travellers and international cards. . . credit cards work normal where they were accepted.

Have some euro cash in hand when you arrive, more cash if you travel independently in remote areas. . . i 'd not say you desperately need so much cash if you arrive on a cruise ship. Things are quiet, definitely safe, and i ate a lot more than i should during my quick getaway. . .

( oh, and Chios is a wonderful, wonderful wonderful island. Used to be an Azamara port of call some years go, no cruise ship arrivals this year i think, still keep it as an option if you travel independently )

Things look a-ok to me, still i 'd just take some precautions and have some cash in hand du to the volatility of the situation a week ago. Thigns may change in the future, but they certainly look a-ok to me despite the silly articles about lack of food, fuel and starving locals eager to find euros. I start believing we are being brainwashed and i was never a fan of conspiracy theories. . .

doh. . .

Thank you for taking the time to post common sense advice from someone who is actually living in Athens.

I am here, i am here

doh. . .

Thank you so much Nick for posting accurate information to help us travelers coming to your country. Hope you had a wonderful vacation and can't wait to visit Athens in a few weeks. :)

It appears the proverbial can has been kicked down the road as a last minute deal has been reached. More bailout money is on the way in exchange for an attempt to live within their means. Should be tourism as usual.

I am here, i am here. Back from a beautiful week in Chios island. . . . all these articles are so silly. . . it is business as usual. . . Flights on time, fuel ok, supermarkets full, coffee places full. Atm's get busy at some ctnral spots when shops are open. . . and a response to the nice joke about me quieing in front of an atm. . . lol. . . no. . . i have to use an atm for more than a week. I use my debit card instead. ( oh, and Chios is a wonderful, wonderful wonderful island. Used to be an Azamara port of call some years go, no cruise ship arrivals this year i think, still keep it as an option if you travel independently ) Things look a-ok to me, still i 'd just take some precautions and have some cash in hand du to the volatility of the situation a week ago. Thigns may change in the future, but they certainly look a-ok to me despite the silly articles about lack of food, fuel and starving locals eager to find euros. I start believing we are being brainwashed and i was never a fan of conspiracy theories. . .

Appreciate so much, Nick, your very good updates and the details about conditions there in Greece. Your week in Chios sounds wonderful. There is, kind of, an agreement been put together overnight. We'll soon see how and if these "details" work out. We'll be hoping for the best for those visiting Greece during the upcoming weeks.

Sadly, Gourmet Gal, makes a good point and raises the question for how long this "deal" will last and/or work.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 201,689 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Greece and Greeks need to do some serious thinking and some serious work on what is needed to get out of this mess. I live here for 36 years, functionally fully a Greek now.

Most people are thinking in the pattern of "euro or not". The answer is not this. Euro or not, you can't make it if things don't work right.

Greece's fiscal problems are huge but at the same time. . . it's a great country and with some serious work for five, ten years a lot of things could change. For the better.

But it needs some really serious and focused work. It's not that bad as it sounds and it could be fixed with hard work, primarily in mentality.

Other than that it's a fantastic country to visit, yeap food is great, sites are fantastic, energy of the place is undeniable. . . but it's not only this. We need some stability and it's 7 - 8 years already of this saga.

More money and more austerity is what we get again, but srsly, there is only one way to go out of this vicious cycle: very hard work and raising productivity. And focused persistence and consistency.

Peace all.

Edited by nick_arch

Greece and Greeks need to do some serious thinking and some serious work on what is needed to get out of this mess. I live here for 36 years, functionally fully a Greek now.

Most people are thinking in the pattern of "euro or not". The answer is not this. Euro or not, you can't make it if things don't work right.

Greece's fiscal problems are huge but at the same time. . . it's a great country and with some serious work for five, ten years a lot of things could change. For the better.

But it needs some really serious and focused work. It's not that bad as it sounds and it could be fixed with hard work, primarily in mentality.

Other than that it's a fantastic country to visit, yeap food is great, sites are fantastic, energy of the place is undeniable. . . but it's not only this. We need some stability and it's 7 - 8 years already of this saga.

More money and more austerity is what we get again, but srsly, there is only one way to go out of this vicious cycle: very hard work and raising productivity. And focused persistence and consistency.

Peace all.

The best post on this thread regarding the deep fiscal/political issues in Greece. Good luck with this next stage in the process. I am looking forward to visiting in September

The best post on this thread regarding the deep fiscal/political issues in Greece. Good luck with this next stage in the process. I am looking forward to visiting in September

YES!!! Super appreciate the wonderful hard work, spirit, style and attitude reflected in Nick's post. Very solid and important understandings and approaches. Good luck. We will continue to follow these issues with interest and hope for you and your country.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 111,033 views for this posting.

We've been in and around Syntagma Square for the last two days and except for a few networks doing live shots there and a few cops on scooters, you would never know anything happened Wednesday night.

We were out for a bite on Wednesday night though and became caught up in one of the spillover confrontations on Syngrou Ave. about 1/3 mile from the InterCon. It got a little sporty for we had more than a good whiff of CS and had to run a bit to avoid the police and anarchists. We had a good laugh about the whole thing and then we found an open restaurant and had a late meal. Everything is all quiet now and has been since that time. We embark on the Star Clipper tomorrow in Piraeus.

Edited by smokinmike

In Athens now. No demonstrations. Some streets around Parliament closed down for security reasons while new Parliament members sworn in. All we saw was lots of journalists waiting for a story. Tourist area restaurants filled with patrons.

• 4 weeks later...

Peace all.

Nick you and I know the biggest lesson for the Greeks is honesty!! The government at the time lied there way into the Euro zone with a fake balance sheet.

The national sport is do not pay your tax, the desperate tourism minister earlier this year pleaded with tourists to use plastic and starve the black economy. The constant under-reporting of crime on the Islands and the boom in meth addicts on the mainland to protect its tourist trade is embarrassing.

Greece has given away its economic sovereignty so after 10 to 15 years of E U driven sell off and austerity measures it may be fixed.

I am really sorry. I don't agree.

First of all, do you have a personal on-ground experience regarding crystal meth use on the mainland, or is it something yo read in a newspaper?

You make it sound as if the mainland is full of tweaking users raiding a Wal-Mart in SoCal.

You know. . . it's not SoCal here. . . lol. . . although SoCal is actually doing far better in this from other US states. . .

Greece does have a narcotic substances issue - as every other Western world country. . . ; i woudn't say though you are in any way accurate. Allow me to know better since i volunteer for a relative NGO regarding prevention of CM use in population groups specifically affected from this. We do have a raising ratio of users, still it is a kindergarden compared to what was and is some US states and most European countries. Really check your numbers and don't paint a silly picture out of nowhere.

Other than that, i 'd also try to keep comments on Greek's honesty outside this forum. Well, i 'd keep it off from anywhere.

Tax evasion is a big issue, still majority of population does pay taxes.

Going so far away from travel related content is not actually what Cruise Critic is about. Epecially when it includes stereotyping of such a magnitude.

It's like saying people are being shot in American schools. . .

Ooops. Sorry. . . actually they are.

plz, do refrain from generalising comments. . .

Edited by nick_arch

I am really sorry. I don't agree. First of all, do you have a personal on-ground experience regarding crystal meth use on the mainland, or is it something yo read in a newspaper?

Other than that, i 'd also try to keep comments on Greek's honesty outside this forum. Well, i 'd keep it off from anywhere. Tax evasion is a big issue, still majority of population does pay taxes. Going so far away from travel related content is not actually what Cruise Critic is about. Epecially when it includes stereotyping of such a magnitude. It's like saying people are being shot in American schools. . . Ooops. Sorry. . . actually they are. plz, do refrain from generalising comments. . .

Appreciate Nick's posts, wisdom and perspective. YES, there are various "issues" in Greece, Europe, the USA, etc. It is important, however, to keep more of a focus with these Cruise Critic boards about travel issues, direct and indirect. "Politics" can fun and interesting to kick around, but they discourage too much that is "off topic" for these boards.

Personally, I have lots of political views and serious questions based on long study and research about history, governments, etc. BUT, here on these travel boards is not exactly the place to do too much with such "generalizations" about various nations, groups of their residents, personal behavior, etc.

THANKS to Nick for his posting, details and background shared, etc.! Glad things are little more stable now in Greece, but there are many nations, including China right now, facing long-term fiscal questions and doubts.

Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,851 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I still work as a volunteer for Al/Anon in the UK, Narc/Anon Tel: 210 347 4777 is our equiv for drug users in Athens. Over the years I have made good friendships with colleague's in Greece.

The only paper worth quoting is the international acclaimed http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/16/greek-addicts-sisha-drug-crisis

<For Charalampos Poulopoulos, the head of Kethea, Greece's pre-eminent anti-drug centre, shisha symbolises the depredations of a crisis that has spawned record levels of destitution and unemployment. It is, he said, an "austerity drug" – the best response yet of dealers who have become ever more adept at producing synthetic drugs designed for those who can no longer afford more expensive highs from such drugs as heroin and cocaine.>

Ps I worked in Piraeus for three yrs.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/02/greece-tourists-credit-cards-tax-evasion

<“In a country where the tax collection system is so inefficient, credit cards are the easiest way of clamping down on evasion,” said Andreadis, who heads the Confederation of Greek Tourism (Sete). “We calculate that around 40% of receipts are not issued in tourist areas to avoid VAT.”>

This is about tourism and honesty,to a quote from TA this villa was among 6 burgled in one night.

<eware, theives

22 July 2015, 16:58

PleAse all in stoupa be careful, arrived Sunday afternoon, stopping in villa in stoupa . Sunday night whilst in bed villa was burgled . Took ALL our money even out of safe and various items, four other villas robbed same night, most worrying thing is we where all in and asleep when this took place, please be extra vigilant>

Kethea should definitely do a better job although this is not related to this forum's aim to discuss. Anyway, they are doing a good job with addicts, mainly heroine but not at all doing a good job re CM prevention. Not impressed really.

I would not drag this into an irrelevant conversation, still statement in the article "The drug of preference for thousands of homeless Greeks forced on to the streets by poverty and despair" is what i 'd call sensationalism.

Shisha was here around Omonoia from the start of the decade, before all this "crisis". Drugs ARE prevalent part of everyday life in many countries, including the UK, the US of course, many other countries and third world countries too.

To imply this will affect a traveller's experience in Cruise Critic is really far from reality.

Are you sure you are not painting the picture a bit more gray that it is?

I mean, how on Earth this affects a traveller's experience? Sincerely, area around the Acropolis where most visitors from the cruise ships will move today is full of visitors trying to carm in as much as possible, grab an ice cream, take photos and so.

Not underestimating any issues in Athens, it's a 5 million people metropolitan area, it would be naive to imply it's all perfect. . . there are naigbourhoods i would not get in, same as NYC, same as London too. . .

Srsly. . . i think you are conceiving another reality that a visitor's. Personal opinion of course.

As for the Stoupa burglaries, just dont tell me you woke up yesterday.

My room in Hawaii, freaking Hawaii was robbed first day i got there 7 years ago. . . these things happen everywhere, yes in Greece too. It's not paradise really. . . it's a quite close though and much better form other countries.

Still.

I am with you on tax evasion though in the islands.

I do pay my taxes though. Many other people too.

So, let's not generalise. You are generalising fat and flat.

( and sincerely: kudos for volunteering for Alanon / Naranon. It's a good thing and i am proud of all the effort made there. . . different countries, similar problems. . . Gosh. . . let's hope it gets better for many people anywhere in the world entangled in this. . . )

Edited by nick_arch