Roll Call empty - will we be sailing alone?

glorialagos

I have cruised many lines and always enjoyed meeting others through the Roll Call and then face to face at the Meet and Greet. This is my first time traveling with Holland America and there is ZERO activity on our Roll Call. We set sail on September 6. Is it too early? Is it a sign that our ship will not be very full? Or is it simply that people don't know about/care about Roll Calls as much on HAL?

I'm feeling a little like the uncool kid in the school cafeteria sitting all alone with my lunch tray! :(

Some roll calls are active, others aren't. On all cruise lines. Just the way it is.

Remember Cruise Critic is a very small percentage of all people that cruise- less than 5% is the number I have heard.

As HAL has 6 or 7 ships in Alaska, and you didn't name the ship you are on, it is difficult to further comment.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I have cruised many lines and always enjoyed meeting others through the Roll Call and then face to face at the Meet and Greet. This is my first time traveling with Holland America and there is ZERO activity on our Roll Call. We set sail on September 6. Is it too early? Is it a sign that our ship will not be very full? Or is it simply that people don't know about/care about Roll Calls as much on HAL?

I'm feeling a little like the uncool kid in the school cafeteria sitting all alone with my lunch tray! :(

I noticed that too! I am on Princess this time and our ship leaves July 11th and as of right now only 10 posters have joined our roll call. Carnival seems to have the more social posters but that could be the difference between a beach destination (party atmosphere) or going to a more quiet destination such as Alaska. Anyway, no worries and enjoy the anticipation of going on your cruise!

I don't know what is about but I have often found that roll calls for Alaskan cruises are light in numbers. On one cruise we had exactly one other member attend the meet and greet and on two others the numbers were something like 4 and 5 people.

I started our roll call over a year ago and we still don't have enough people for Meet & Mingle. Other roll calls for cruises before and after mine seem much more busy. Maybe the week we are going is not as popular?

I posted my theory on this topic once before, so here it is again. :)

One of the lures of the Roll Calls is to put small groups together and organize private excursions. For most itineraries you need to have a group to book a private excursion at a reasonable price.

The situation in Alaska is, for the most part, different. Yes there are many companies offering private excursions, but they are pre-scheduled and all you need to do is contact them and join the already arranged group (think Chilkoot Charters in Skagway, Orca Enterprises or Harv and Marv in Juneau, etc.).

Also, you get lots of families (as opposed to couples or singles) and they might be more likely to spend time together.

Finally, it seems like Alaska cruises attracts a lot of first time cruisers since it's a popular destination and a ship is pretty much the best way to see Southeast Alaska. These folks are much less likely to know about Cruise Critic or the Roll Calls.

Your title made me smile. :) Of course and obviously, you won't be sailing alone. The last ten cruises or so, we have not joined the Roll Call and yet have still made some lovely friends and had wonderful conversation and drinks and dinner with some fabulous people. It certainly doesn't take much to strike up a conversation... your love for cruising, first off!

Have fun. Alaska is magnificent.

One of the lures of the Roll Calls is to put small groups together and organize private excursions. For most itineraries you need to have a group to book a private excursion at a reasonable price.

The situation in Alaska is, for the most part, different. Yes there are many companies offering private excursions, but they are pre-scheduled and all you need to do is contact them and join the already arranged group (think Chilkoot Charters in Skagway, Orca Enterprises or Harv and Marv in Juneau, etc.).

Also, you get lots of families (as opposed to couples or singles) and they might be more likely to spend time together.

Finally, it seems like Alaska cruises attracts a lot of first time cruisers since it's a popular destination and a ship is pretty much the best way to see Southeast Alaska. These folks are much less likely to know about Cruise Critic or the Roll Calls.

Yes, I think you are correct on all counts.

I also agree, and furthermore even among those who do follow Cruise Critic, not all find joining roll calls appealing.

Some passengers are more sociable "joiner" types than others.

Some will follow a roll call for a while to see how it goes before deciding whether or not to join.

I also agree, and furthermore even among those who do follow Cruise Critic, not all find joining roll calls appealing.

Some passengers are more sociable "joiner" types than others.

Some will follow a roll call for a while to see how it goes before deciding whether or not to join.

I have always found the Roll Call to be a great planning tool. Usually there are repeat cruisers who can help with information about the ship, excursions, etc. I find it to be a smaller general topics board and gather lots of planning info from them. Once I am on the ship, I usually visit the Meet and Greet but more to meet the ship officers than the other cruisers!

But I agree, some do not find it appealing. And there were some good points made about many families going so I would see why they plan among themselves and would be less likely to join a roll call.

It's still early. I may find a friend yet! :)

I think this is a large chunk of the reason. Unless someone's done enough research ahead of time to find cruise critic, there's just so many new cruisers on these routes that I think you have a much smaller percentage than usual (which is already small) that are on here.

Heck, I made the most traveled group on my last Alaska cruise, and my numbers weren't that high :).

Our July 31 Solstice Alaska cruise just gained enough entries to qualify for a Connections party. But I think it happened because someone signed up a large group traveling together. It's been a slow roll call.

I'm expecting a very small gathering.

Our December 2015 Caribbean roll call has, on the other hand, been active for the past six months or more. These are mostly repeat cruisers who do the route often.