Is there customs dockside in Amsterdam?

pzbz

Has anyone disembarked in Amsterdam and can you tell me if you have to go through customs dockside or does the ship get cleared overall?

I am trying to see how quickly I can get to my prebooked taxi. We leave from the Port of Amsterdam and are returning to the Marine Termianl outside of the city due to the SAIL tall ships event in August. I plan on self disembarking/private taxi to catch an early flight so time is of the essence.

What can I expect dockside that might slow me down or is it just a case of walking down gang plank and getting to my tax??

Thanks in advance!

Where is your cruise coming from?

On our last visit there, sailing from Ireland, we had a passport check only, no customs. However it was only two agents checking (and stamping) 2000 pax getting off the ship.

Leaving from Amsterdam and returning there!

My ship got cleared entirely. I was on the Celebrity Silhouette, from Amsterdam to Dover Guernsey, Ireland, Scottland, Wales (although we could not dock), France, and back to Amsterdam. I walked off of the ship, grabbed my luggage, and was free to get a taxi. Maybe because my ship went outside the eurozone, and then back into it?

My ship got cleared entirely. I was on the Celebrity Silhouette' date=' from Amsterdam to Dover Guernsey, Ireland, Scottland, Wales (although we could not dock), France, and back to Amsterdam. I walked off of the ship, grabbed my luggage, and was free to get a taxi. Maybe because my ship went outside the eurozone, and then back into it?[/quote']

So, my next question for those who have gone before..when the ship docks at 6:00 am what time does customs for the ship allow for disembarking? Is it typically an hour before passengers can start disembarking? I know there is no individual customs check for passengers but wonder how much time is needed for the ship customs clearance? I need to clarify the time for my private taxi on picking us up and whisking us to the airport? The dock in question (if that makes a difference) is in Amsterdam(sailing from and returning to)!

Thanks again!:(

My ship got cleared entirely. I was on the Celebrity Silhouette' date=' from Amsterdam to Dover Guernsey, Ireland, Scottland, Wales (although we could not dock), France, and back to Amsterdam. I walked off of the ship, grabbed my luggage, and was free to get a taxi. Maybe because my ship went outside the eurozone, and then back into it?[/quote']

What time did you dock and what time did they let you get off the ship???

Since you not only arrive at a different docking place but also during a very busy event in port it is difficult to tell how much time you willneed.

In general ships often dock earlier then the time announced, but disembarking depends what time customs clears the ship.

Often that also goes rather quick.

Since you not only arrive at a different docking place but also during a very busy event in port it is difficult to tell how much time you willneed.

In general ships often dock earlier then the time announced, but disembarking depends what time customs clears the ship.

Often that also goes rather quick.

Have you heard anything about the new terminal? I was reading yesterday that people had to stand in a line for over an hour just to check in their luggage? Also, that it was over a 30 minute walk to end up at their gate, including moving sidewalks? Thank you for all of your great information, we are very excited about visiting your beautiful country.

Did you have your passport stamped?

Have you heard anything about the new terminal? I was reading yesterday that people had to stand in a line for over an hour just to check in their luggage? Also, that it was over a 30 minute walk to end up at their gate, including moving sidewalks? Thank you for all of your great information, we are very excited about visiting your beautiful country.

As I think was explained on another thread, there is no new terminal at AMS - there is a new centralised security search facility. Schipol is a pretty large airport and I could well believe some gates may take some people 30 minutes. At least you don't have to get there in time for the primary search anymore :)

Hi Mary,

We are going to check in on line the day before while on board the ship. Then when we get to the airport we will do the self baggage drop which should save the line for check in. Then it is straight up stairs to the mezannine to the central security followed by passport check by the Dutch Miltary police then on to D1 for Americans flying american carriers and then you get your gate # which I believe will be in the D Concourse (at least it is for Delta). I think this is correct!

So online check in should save time by avoiding that line!

Penny

Hi Mary,

We are going to check in on line the day before while on board the ship. Then when we get to the airport we will do the self baggage drop which should save the line for check in. Then it is straight up stairs to the mezannine to the central security followed by passport check by the Dutch Miltary police then on to D1 for Americans flying american carriers and then you get your gate # which I believe will be in the D Concourse (at least it is for Delta). I think this is correct!

So online check in should save time by avoiding that line!

Penny

Yes I believe it said D1 was for only Delta, other carriers had to go to one of two other concourses.

Did you have your passport stamped?

Penny & Mary, we just walked off the ship after our Baltics cruise which ended June 9, no one even asked to see our passports. I believe the ship was cleared at 7am. I met someone who had a 9.30 flight and she was self-disembarking, can't say if she made her flight though:D

What time did you dock and what time did they let you get off the ship???

The ship docked at 6:30. They started letting people off around 7:30, and everybody was off of the ship by 9. I wasn't in a rush because we stayed the night in Amsterdam and flew out first thing the next morning.

I cannot comment on new terminals in Schipol airport. It's the first time I've ever been there. It is enormous. Depending on which gate you need to be at, I can well believe the long walk.

My passport was stamped when first entering Amsterdam, before embarking. It was not stamped when I disembarked. I never had to present my passport at all.