One Day in Rome

JaniceW

I know that this question has been asked many times but I have already been to Rome twice so I have already seen the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Collosseum and the Vatican. We will be staying in Rome overnight after a cruise and I am looking for a itinerary that does not include what I have already seen. Thanks!

What interests you most? Art, ancient history, shopping, etc. That would help us help you.

Do you like museums or would you prefer not to spend time that way?

Are certain periods of time more compelling to you than others (Ancient Rome, the Renaissance, Risorgimento, etc.)?

Is the list you've provided comprehensive or just a sample of what you've already seen? I notice that you mention the Colosseum but not the Forum or Palatine. You also haven't noted the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, the Galleria Borghese, or Castel Sant'Angelo, all of which are fairly common tourist destinations in Rome.

Edited by euro cruiser

We spent a very pleasant day at Ostia Antiqua the ancient port for Rome where the Tiber used to enter the sea. The ruins are in excellent conditions, many many mosaics and almost no tourists.

We Took the Metro to Pyramid and changed to the train, no extra charge. Spent maybe 3 hours at Ostia Antiqua, walked the short walk back to the train station, there are a couple of places to eat, and then continued on the train line same direction as before about 3 more stops to the coast and walked around there then took the train back into Rome. All on the Roma Pass including entrance fee into Ostia Antiqua. Check it out on Rick Steves.

Here are some thoughts:

--The Capitoline Museum (ancient Roman sculpture, mosaics, frescoes)

--The Borghese Gallery (Renaissance and Baroque art in a beautiful setting)

--Galleria Doria Pamphilj (Another Renaissance and Baroque gallery in a palazzo in Central Rome)

--San Clemente Church (three levels of history in one church)

--Baths of Caracalla (some of the best-preserved Roman baths I've seen)

--Museum of the Imperial Forums (Musei dei Fori Imperiali) and Trajan's Market

And another couple of ideas from my most recent trip here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2218933

Here's a thought: what about a foodie tour in Trastevere? Totally different direction than museums and historical sights. You can find an organized tour online or use Rick Steves guidebook "Italy" for a self-guided tour.

What interests you most? Art, ancient history, shopping, etc. That would help us help you.

Do you like museums or would you prefer not to spend time that way?

Are certain periods of time more compelling to you than others (Ancient Rome, the Renaissance, Risorgimento, etc.)?

Is the list you've provided comprehensive or just a sample of what you've already seen? I notice that you mention the Colosseum but not the Forum or Palatine. You also haven't noted the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, the Galleria Borghese, or Castel Sant'Angelo, all of which are fairly common tourist destinations in Rome.

Thank you for your response. Personal emergency has kept me off the boards. I have not been to the Forum or Palatine or for that matter, most of the other sights mentioned.

Thank you all - you have provided some great ideas! I hadn't realized how much I had missed! I'll do some homework and decide which of the great selections I am most interested in seeing. I already know that the Pantheon is a must for me.

I definitely would also recommend 2 of those mentioned already --The Borghese Gallery and the Baths of Caracalla. Just make sure to make reservations for Borghese.

We did a food walking tour the last time we were in Rome and it was fabulous! It took us through the Jewish Quarter and stopped in about 7 places. Check them out at https://www.foodtoursofrome.com. Besides tasting some great food, we learned so much about that area of Rome which we had not visited before.

Marianne

Thank you all - you have provided some great ideas! I hadn't realized how much I had missed! I'll do some homework and decide which of the great selections I am most interested in seeing. I already know that the Pantheon is a must for me.

If you're staying in Rome overnight after your cruise, I can highly recommend staying in the vicinity of the Pantheon. It's a very pleasant area and you can easily find a good restaurant for dinner and enjoy walking around in the evening with all of the monuments lit up. Piazza Navona just a few blocks away, is also worth seeing in the evening.

(The Pantheon does close its doors around 7pm, though, so don't wait until evening to see it -- it's probably my favorite building in the world!.)

I know that this question has been asked many times but I have already been to Rome twice so I have already seen the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Collosseum and the Vatican. We will be staying in Rome overnight after a cruise and I am looking for a itinerary that does not include what I have already seen. Thanks!

I would think about Tivoli Gardens as well as Ostia Antica

Think about just walking around Rome, taking time to sit at an outdoor restaurant on a piazza, watching the people go by. Cruise the streets, looking at the shop/store/restaurant windows. See something you like? Go in, try something new. The area around the Pantheon is great for this - you can go between there and Piazza Navona, and Campo di Fiore. Great area to walk around. I'm always surprised by what I run into when I do my walking - I actually "ran into" the Colosseum and Hadrian's Temple by just wandering around. :)

I almost never see this museum mentioned and it is one of my favorites in Rome: Museo ****onale Romano at Palazzo Massimo. Not far from the Termini station with no crowds and lots of antiquities. Noted especially for its amazing displays of frescos etc. excavated in the city. The room with all four walls containing Livia's (wife of Emperor Augustus) garden frescos is simply breath-taking.

I have no idea why it was edited out but the museum is Museo ****onale Romano at Palazzo Massimo

It was edited out because the word N -- a -- z ---i is automatically censored on CC, as are those four letters anytime they appear in that order in a different word, as they do in the name of the Museo you posted. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous, as the N -- a --- z --- i --s existed in history and one ought to be able to mention them. (Using the word to name call is different.) The word even gets censored over on the France board when people are discussing Normandy tours and WW II history.

I don't know if this was something you did on your prior visit to the Vatican, but on our last visit to Rome, which was our second time there, I got tickets to visit the Scavi Tour of the Necropolis below St. Peter's Basilica. It is located 40 feet below the Basilica and is where the tomb of St. Peter was uncovered. IMO, it's a must-see if you are not too claustrophobic. Check it out at http://www.scavi.va Best to write to the excavations office in advance for tickets as they only allow a limited number of people to enter each day. Their website outlines exactly what its all about and how to get tickets.