First Cruise

Hislamb12

We are taking our first cruise to Bahamas with Royal Caribbean January 2016.

We are flying in the afternoon before and leaving the afternoon following the cruise. So we are looking what hotel options that might put us by the beach so we can enjoy the beach on our extra days in Miami? But of course not too far from either the hotel or Port either :) Is that possible?And we don't have a high budget either...thanks

April in CO

We are taking our first cruise to Bahamas with Royal Caribbean January 2016.

We are flying in the afternoon before and leaving the afternoon following the cruise. So we are looking what hotel options that might put us by the beach so we can enjoy the beach on our extra days in Miami? But of course not too far from either the hotel or Port either :) Is that possible?And we don't have a high budget either...thanks

April in CO

Give us an idea of your budget and your arrival date. January is high season and Martin Luther King weekend (MLK day is Monday, January 18th) is usually the most expensive weekend of the month.

Welcome to the boards! :)

Flying into MIA (Miami) or nearby FLL (Fort Lauderdale)? :confused: How many in your group? :confused: Budget? :confused:

Cheaper than staying on the beach, but for sure not as convenient, you can stay near the MIA airport. Several hotels (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Sofitel, etc.) in the Blue Lagoon area that offer free airport shuttles plus nearby dining and shopping options. To get to the beach you can shuttle back to MIA and take the airport flyer bus from MIA to South Beach for about $2.65 each. From MIA area hotels you can cab to POM for about $30 (for the cab, not per person).

If you are flying into FLL I would stay there, enjoy the beach, and use http://www.sunny.org to research area tourist options and hotels. From the FLL area is it easy to find a shared shuttle to POM for about $15 each.

So, there is my husband and myself and another couple.

We are all raising families and on tight budgets. This is a big treat for us to do this trip!! Which we are so excited for, leaving our kiddos and going to the beach what could be more fun ??

So, just affordable, not sure of the budget, we have to pay for a room for two nights, so it is what it is :)

We are flying into Miami..On January 10th, cruise leaves the 11th, and returns the 15th and we fly out mid day on the 16th.

The reason I was thinking staying closer to the beach is we only have one day and night on each end for the beach, so within a walking distance or short cab ride I think would help us get more time in? However, come to think of it, it might not be too easy that first night there as we arrive in at 3:50, so it would be the morning of the cruise we would want to stroll on the beach. and the last day in Miami is really the day we would utilize the beach...

Arriving at 3:50 in December, by the time you collect bags and get from the airport to your hotel leaves you with about zero beach time. I would look for a downtown hotel or save $$ and stay in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA.

Post cruise I would focus on Miami Beach, especially South Beach (the "Miami" you see on the TV shows and in the movies) - because you'll have the entire day to spend on the beach, in the pool, or eating/drinking/dancing and people watching. Taxi from POM to SB hotels should be about $15-20+

Arriving at 3:50 in December, by the time you collect bags and get from the airport to your hotel leaves you with about zero beach time. I would look for a downtown hotel or save $$ and stay in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA.

Post cruise I would focus on Miami Beach, especially South Beach (the "Miami" you see on the TV shows and in the movies) - because you'll have the entire day to spend on the beach, in the pool, or eating/drinking/dancing and people watching. Taxi from POM to SB hotels should be about $15-20+

I agree because by the time you get to South Beach it will be dark.

However, I'd stay downtown your first night and then hotwire a South Beach hotel for your return trip.

Honestly, I can agree with John's statement above. We are also cruising in January 2016. I'm not sure what your budget is for a hotel, but have you checked out the prices? They're high! We are flying in around 2pm local time into MIA, but we figured by the time we got off the plane, got our bags, got to the hotel, got checked in etc, it would be well after 3 pm, and that's if everything is on time. So the South Beach area, although it's nice was just out of the picture for us. Some of the hotels were over $600 for a night and some were much much higher than that. For one night, no thanks!

We got a hotel room downtown. We like downtown as we have stayed there before and our real purpose is a pre-cruise stay. So it works for us. We are close to the port in the morning and we are within walking distances to dinner, shopping, and a walgreens for last minute stuff. We are happy with that for one night. But even for that you're going to pay a pretty penny in January. We are staying at the intercontinental hotel and are paying around $300/night.

There's also the Holiday Inn Port of Miami that is down the street, it's cheaper, but not as nice, but is sufficient for one night.

Honestly, I can agree with John's statement above. We are also cruising in January 2016. I'm not sure what your budget is for a hotel, but have you checked out the prices? They're high! We are flying in around 2pm local time into MIA, but we figured by the time we got off the plane, got our bags, got to the hotel, got checked in etc, it would be well after 3 pm, and that's if everything is on time. So the South Beach area, although it's nice was just out of the picture for us. Some of the hotels were over $600 for a night and some were much much higher than that. For one night, no thanks!

We got a hotel room downtown. We like downtown as we have stayed there before and our real purpose is a pre-cruise stay. So it works for us. We are close to the port in the morning and we are within walking distances to dinner, shopping, and a walgreens for last minute stuff. We are happy with that for one night. But even for that you're going to pay a pretty penny in January. We are staying at the intercontinental hotel and are paying around $300/night.

There's also the Holiday Inn Port of Miami that is down the street, it's cheaper, but not as nice, but is sufficient for one night.

Did you look at hotwire? I found a bunch in the 3-4 star range for the 15th for $140-$165 per night range.

Yes, South Beach hotels can be crazy expensive. I got a local's deal last year over the South Beach Wine & Food Festival for $367 for The Hotel and was thrilled. Their basic rooms started at about $750 per night.

Being your first cruise maybe you do not realize that boarding starts at about 11am. You mentioned going to the beach the day of boarding but you can be on the ship in time for lunch. Whatever you decide to do enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone for your help and good suggestions. I will look into all of them.

And you are right, we did not realize we board the ship at 11? I am glad to know that now thanks:)

Honestly, I am so excited about it, but this trip is turning out to be a lot more planning and figuring things out even on port days than I realized:confused: Nothing is a good deal anymore huh? always hidden costs.

But we will figure it out (or should I say I will , hubby lets me do all this planning )

Some hotels I found at South Beach...anyone know anything about them?

Central South Beach Convention Center area hotel (no name listed on Hotwire?_) $236 a night Or South Beach Ocean Drive Hotel North (again no name $299 a night)

How far is this area from Port or air port? I am feeling very confused about it all not ever been there.

thanks

April

Some hotels I found at South Beach...anyone know anything about them?

Central South Beach Convention Center area hotel (no name listed on Hotwire?_) $236 a night Or South Beach Ocean Drive Hotel North (again no name $299 a night)

How far is this area from Port or air port? I am feeling very confused about it all not ever been there.

thanks

April

They aren't far from the port at all.

The airport is a long ways from anywhere.

A lot of time if you click the hotel, it will give you what the last person won. I just got the Catalina Hotel for $50 a night for four rooms because it said the last person that clicked on this deal got the Catalina.

Anything over three stars in South Beach will be nice.

Keep in mind that not all South Beach hotels have pools so if that is important, look for that listed as an amenity.

You are talking about hotwire right?

FWIW, you can take the airport flyer from South Beach to the airport for $2.50 or something else ridiculous per person.

Forgot to add, that if you are booking both couples in one room, make sure you put that down when you search.

Unlike anywhere else, South Beach hotel rooms are TINY (they were all built in the 1940s) and two beds in a room is an upgrade and usually a suit. They will charge you an arm and a leg to try and upgrade.

thanks

April

Taxi from MIA to South Beach will take about 20 minutes - depending upon traffic taxi from POM to SB will take about 10-15+ minutes. Taxi from MIA to downtown hotels will take about 15 minutes. The airport flyer bus is a good option between SB and MIA - http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/routes/150.pdf

Pull up Miami on Google Maps to get an idea on the area layout. ;)

Have you looked on LMT? There are some decent rates for hotels. Join the club..it is $25 but then you get a $25 credit on your booking so it is free.

http://www.lastminutetravel.com

Keep in mind if you use Priceline or Hotwire you cannot cancel so be very sure of what you are doing with that. Are the 4 of you staying in one room or getting 2 rooms?

• 2 weeks later...

maps

Ok, Just found Hamptom Inn and Suites by Hilton, Miama Brickell Downtown for $229, breakfast included...Can someone link me a map of the city showing streets, port and South Beach?

thanks

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/25.772514,-80.198525/Miami+Beach,+FL/@25.785904,-80.164146,14z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9a6172bfeddb9:0x37be1741259463eb!2m2!1d-80.1300455!2d25.790654?hl=en

For other maps:

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/plan-your-trip/maps

data=!4m9!4m8!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9a6172bfeddb9:0x37be1741259463eb!2m2!1d-80.1300455!2d25.790654?hl=en

Thanks everyone for your help and good suggestions. I will look into all of them.

And you are right, we did not realize we board the ship at 11? I am glad to know that now thanks:)

Honestly, I am so excited about it, but this trip is turning out to be a lot more planning and figuring things out even on port days than I realized:confused: Nothing is a good deal anymore huh? always hidden costs.

But we will figure it out (or should I say I will , hubby lets me do all this planning )

Planning for the cruise is half the fun! These boards will provide a ton of good information. :D