Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Hello!

Looking for suggestions for reputable car/towncar service from FLL Airport to GalleryOne Doubletree Hotel.

Or, would you suggest a taxi? Is there a preferred taxi company in FLL area?

That's a short ride. I would just go in the taxi line and get whichever car shows up, as it's very convenient. Yellow Cab is the biggest company. Uber should also be up and running in Broward County soon, so download the app.

Thanks royalcruz!

I am not looking to try uber yet.

In Puerto Rico, we have to be sure to use regulated cabs, so I assume all the cabs in Ft Lauderdale are part of the same system then? I assumed a cab would be very expensive, but maybe not. :)

I rarely use cabs, as you can tell. It will just be myself and my teen daughter.

Thanks royalcruz!

I am not looking to try uber yet.

In Puerto Rico, we have to be sure to use regulated cabs, so I assume all the cabs in Ft Lauderdale are part of the same system then? I assumed a cab would be very expensive, but maybe not. :)

I rarely use cabs, as you can tell. It will just be myself and my teen daughter.

A taxi will cost about $25 plus tip to Gallery One. Town car service is usually about the same or more. Only regulated taxis are allowed in the taxi line at the airport, as all taxis that pick up from the airport have to have a special permit. It will cost about $25 to go to the port also. Have a great time!

By the way, I have an elementary ed degree from University of Maryland, but I moved to FL after college so I never taught there. :)

YellowCab is omni-present, but I had a terrible experience with them each time I was in Ft Lauderdale (worst was a driver on drugs--had to call 911 and end the ride early). I've had a consistently good experience with uber in FLL, though as of January uber wouldn't transport within the port area.

Hello!

Looking for suggestions for reputable car/towncar service from FLL Airport to GalleryOne Doubletree Hotel.

Or, would you suggest a taxi? Is there a preferred taxi company in FLL area?

Alternatives to yellow cab, then? Towncar services or airport shuttle companies? I'm ok with sharing a van.

There are shared van services at the airport: Go Airport Shuttle and Super Shuttle. The towncar service that I use works by referral only...email me at royalcats at aol dot com and I can give you the phone number.

Is the Hard Rock Cafe within walking distance of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport. Anything in the area to do in morning or night before heading to Miami for cruise?

There isn't much in walking distance of Fairfield Inn. The closest restaurants are Rustic Inn and Tropical Acres. The Field (good bar and dining), Royal India, and My Big Fat Greek Restaurant are a mile or so away.

Is the Hard Rock Cafe within walking distance of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport. Anything in the area to do in morning or night before heading to Miami for cruise?

How are you getting to the Miami port the next day? We are doing the same, not sure of which hotel yet in FLL.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Just to give a thumbs up for this location. We recently had an overnight stay pre-cruise and couldn't have been better. Convenient to everything and hotel is very nice. Thanks to all who recommended. :)

At the Embassy, were there any transport options? Airport shuttle, shuttle to cruise port? And was breakfast included? Thanks for any info - we are weighing options for a pre-cruise night.

At the Embassy, were there any transport options? Airport shuttle, shuttle to cruise port? And was breakfast included? Thanks for any info - we are weighing options for a pre-cruise night.

Breakfast is included and you can order a shared port shuttle van at the front desk for about the same price as a private taxi. ES is a few blocks from the entrance to Port Everglades.

Edited by royalcruz

We have booked the Candlewood Suites for our pre-cruise stay...just one night. From reviews on tripadvisor, it appears to be a decent hotel and only 8 min from the cruise port. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle to the cruise port and if there is anywhere within walking distance for dinner? TIA:)

There are shared van services at the airport: Go Airport Shuttle and Super Shuttle. The towncar service that I use works by referral only...email me at royalcats at aol dot com and I can give you the phone number.

We are staying at the Marriott Renaissance hotel on 17th St pre cruise in Feb 2016. I'm looking for a better experience getting picked up at the airport and getting to the cruise port. I've seen that there are restrictions on Uber - so a town car service sounds like a good option.

Royalcruz - may I email you to get the phone number of the car service? Also if anyone has any dinner suggestions that are within walking distance to our hotel - that would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

We are staying at the Marriott Renaissance hotel on 17th St pre cruise in Feb 2016. I'm looking for a better experience getting picked up at the airport and getting to the cruise port. I've seen that there are restrictions on Uber - so a town car service sounds like a good option.

Royalcruz - may I email you to get the phone number of the car service? Also if anyone has any dinner suggestions that are within walking distance to our hotel - that would be great! Thanks!

This hotel is VERY close to the port (some people have walked it if on Princess), so I would just take a taxi (cost about $10, depending on which pier your ship is at).

If you are looking for an upscale restaurant, Market 17 across the street from your hotel is wonderful! It's less than a 5 minute walk (most of that time would probably be spent waiting for a WALK light on 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd).

This hotel is VERY close to the port (some people have walked it if on Princess), so I would just take a taxi (cost about $10, depending on which pier your ship is at).

Absolutely agree with a taxi to the pier - take a look at google maps or the port map (http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf) - the hotel is opposite the convention center (at the northern end of the port) on 17th street at the corner of Eisenhower Drive. The Princess terminal is #2 (and, if multiple ships are in port, #4 and #21) - other terminals would definitely require a taxi.

Edited by capriccio

Yes, you can go ahead and email me. I'm not sure if the car service will do such short rides, but you can check. The hotel is only about 4 miles from the airport door, and is across the street from the port entrance.

Market 17 across 17th St is a great restaurant. Bimini Boatyard next to the hotel has closed and will be reopening soon as "Boatyard" by The Restaurant People, a great company. I suspect it will be very much worth trying. http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2015/08/28/restaurant-opening-at-the-former-bimini-boatyard.html

There isn't much in walking distance of Fairfield Inn. The closest restaurants are Rustic Inn and Tropical Acres. The Field (good bar and dining), Royal India, and My Big Fat Greek Restaurant are a mile or so away.

Thanks, so what would be the best way for a family of 5 to get there?