Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Undecided: Bubba Gumps, Cheesecake Factory, Outback or Duffys...any advice for dinner for a group of 22 with 4 toodlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since yours is such a special situation, I really think you need to reach out directly to the restaurants. It really requires a great deal of advance planning (I know from having staff organize office dinners but unfortunately not in Fort Lauderdale so I can't give you specifics).

If I was having to make arrangements, I would check out the on-line menus for an idea of price and to ensure that there are dishes that everyone would enjoy. Then I would contact each restaurant that met your criteria and ask them directly if they can handle that large a group:

• timing - can you pick the reservation time or will the restaurant tell you a time to arrive
  • seating - can you be seated together (private room or a dedicated area) or will you be divided up into tables through out the restaurant?
  • menu - if you are seated together, will everyone be able to order off the regular menu or do they have a special menu for groups?
  • payment - are you planning on one bill if you are seated together, bills by table if you are divided up throughout the restaurant, or individual bills for each family group?

Good luck!

Edited by capriccio

Undecided: Bubba Gumps, Cheesecake Factory, Outback or Duffys...any advice for dinner for a group of 22 with 4 toodlers

They are all family-friendly. I agree with Capriccio...call and ask those questions to help you make a decision. You might also consider Bravo Italiano. It's near Duffy's/Outback and I think they can handle a large group. They have lots of entrees under $20 (including soup or salad and garlic rolls), and they give 20% off if you show your cruise boarding pass. The others you asked about are chain restaurants so this one is a little different.

Jack Daniels...Lol

Since yours is such a special situation, I really think you need to reach out directly to the restaurants. It really requires a great deal of advance planning (I know from having staff organize office dinners but unfortunately not in Fort Lauderdale so I can't give you specifics).

If I was having to make arrangements, I would check out the on-line menus for an idea of price and to ensure that there are dishes that everyone would enjoy. Then I would contact each restaurant that met your criteria and ask them directly if they can handle that large a group:

• timing - can you pick the reservation time or will the restaurant tell you a time to arrive
  • seating - can you be seated together (private room or a dedicated area) or will you be divided up into tables through out the restaurant?
  • menu - if you are seated together, will everyone be able to order off the regular menu or do they have a special menu for groups?
  • payment - are you planning on one bill if you are seated together, bills by table if you are divided up throughout the restaurant, or individual bills for each family group?

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are all family-friendly. I agree with Capriccio...call and ask those questions to help you make a decision. You might also consider Bravo Italiano. It's near Duffy's/Outback and I think they can handle a large group. They have lots of entrees under $20 (including soup or salad and garlic rolls), and they give 20% off if you show your cruise boarding pass. The others you asked about are chain restaurants so this one is a little different.

I have just checked Bravo Italiano web site and also looks good. I will discussed it with the group.

Thanks for your advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have eaten at Bravo...very good, but those garlic rolls will stick with you until then next morning, if you know what I mean!

Not good to take the garlic with me to the cruise. lol!!

I searched the thread and only found the recommendation to do a ships tour at the end of the cruise. In the past we have gone pre-cruise when we had a rental car, but this time we are doing a B2B. We would like to do an airboat tour for 4 of us between the 2 sailings. Is there a company that picks up at the port or is there a reasonable way to get to an airboat tour company? Recommendations?

I searched the thread and only found the recommendation to do a ships tour at the end of the cruise. In the past we have gone pre-cruise when we had a rental car, but this time we are doing a B2B. We would like to do an airboat tour for 4 of us between the 2 sailings. Is there a company that picks up at the port or is there a reasonable way to get to an airboat tour company? Recommendations?

There are no airboats close to the port and I haven't heard of anyone that picks up from the port, just the ships tours. A ship's tour will take you to FLL and then you can get a cab back to port for about $10-15. A rental car would probably be the most reasonable way to get to airboat tours. I think a taxi would cost about $75-90 each way.

There are no airboats close to the port and I haven't heard of anyone that picks up from the port, just the ships tours. A ship's tour will take you to FLL and then you can get a cab back to port for about $10-15. A rental car would probably be the most reasonable way to get to airboat tours. I think a taxi would cost about $75-90 each way.

Same question but detest ships tours. Just want day tour of any site with drop off at airport late afternoon..................... Options.

I enjoyed a beautiful spa day at the Atlantic Hotel today with express pedicure and massage. You can use the pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna when you have spa services. Gypsy is a great massage therapist. Lunch at the pool bar was pretty good.

Hello!

I will be renting a car from Hertz at Universal Orlando and driving down to FLL on Memorial Day wknd Saturday. 2016.

The FLL Beach area roads will be closed due to a summer kick off beach bash.

I am trying to avoid traffic and congestion. I planned to return the car to the Hertz office in State Road 84, then taxi to GalleryOne hotel. Would this SR. 84 location put me in a traffic mess with the beach festival?

Would the FLL Airportbe better? Is this a small, manageable airport? I hate traffic and it makes me anxious. Just looking for the easiest location and would appreciate suggestions. I am fine with the interstate drive, just concerned about the return part.

I looked at Spirit Air from MCO/Orlando. But with cruise luggage, the price makes it pretty prohibitive.

Thank you to all who share ideas .

Hello!

I will be renting a car from Hertz at Universal Orlando and driving down to FLL on Memorial Day wknd Saturday. 2016.

The FLL Beach area roads will be closed due to a summer kick off beach bash.

I am trying to avoid traffic and congestion. I planned to return the car to the Hertz office in State Road 84, then taxi to GalleryOne hotel. Would this SR. 84 location put me in a traffic mess with the beach festival?

Would the FLL Airportbe better? Is this a small, manageable airport? I hate traffic and it makes me anxious. Just looking for the easiest location and would appreciate suggestions. I am fine with the interstate drive, just concerned about the return part.

I looked at Spirit Air from MCO/Orlando. But with cruise luggage, the price makes it pretty prohibitive.

Thank you to all who share ideas .

SR 84 is not near the beach, so either location is fine. You might run into some traffic getting to your hotel though, as it is very close to the beach.

I

Is there an easy way to use the water taxi from Embassy Suites?

You have three alternatives:

1. Walk 1 mile to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina. http://www.watertaxi.com
  2. Take a taxi to the water taxi stop.
  3. Take the Sun Trolley from Harbor Shops (directly behind the Embassy Suites) to the Hilton Marina. (http://www.suntrolley.com)

I had to reschedule a cruise from September to January. Hotel rates are almost double on January 23rd. Does anyone know if this is normal for the winter or is there a big event that weekend?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is normal for hotel rates to be double in January compared to September.

I could switch to Embassy Suites on 17th Street. I liked GalleryOne because it was close to the water taxi.

Is there an easy way to use the water taxi from Embassy Suites?

Thank you for the helpful information!

Both Embassy Suites and Gallery One are on the road to the beach so you'll find traffic at both. However, Embassy Suites is closer to the airport and SR 84 so you'll have a shorter taxi ride if you return there. However I think Gallery One is in a better location (mall & water taxi) and there is a Hertz rental place about 2 miles away at 901 E Sunrise Blvd.

We are staying at the Springhill Suites in November pre cruise without a car. I know there is a strip mall across the street but we would like to go some place local, tavern or pub food kind of place for dinner close to the hotel.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!