Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

What company is MJS? I figure Uber would be a good way to get around too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

Hmmm. I was planning on using a taxi to get to the pier. Is that still the best way to get to the pier from the Hyatt Place?

Hmmm. I was planning on using a taxi to get to the pier. Is that still the best way to get to the pier from the Hyatt Place?

I like Uber because you can view who your driver is going to be. Plus everything is handled through your phone so there's no cash or credit transaction. If you read taxi reviews from fort lauderdale, some are ridiculous.

I like Uber because you can view who your driver is going to be. Plus everything is handled through your phone so there's no cash or credit transaction. If you read taxi reviews from fort lauderdale, some are ridiculous.

Hmmm. :confused: So what will you do to get to the pier and back to the airport? :confused:

Yes, taxi is most convenient and inexpensive way to get to the pier.

If Uber says yes to your request, you risk being turned away, because the City has decided that they are a transportation service and not just an app (as Uber claims), and therefore they need the proper airport and port permits. They are currently in negotiations to try to find an amicable solution.

Edited by royalcruz

We are coming to Ft L 2 nts pre cruise to attend a Panthers hockey game. Due to weeknight traffic to the game, we're staying by the arena. That eliminates the option of shuttle to the ship. Any advice for parking at the port? Would love to learn they have valet like Tampa...

Yes, cabs are plentiful:)....I always use them.

Has anyone had a negative experience with a cab or getting a cab from either the hotel to the port in the morning or the port to airport?

Cabs are generally plentiful.

Uber is not a service I've used as they are not in my area, and unlikely to ever be here. I'd rather use a cab where the driver has supposedly been checked out to get the right license, and where there is a city license held over the head of the cab and cab company.

I'm staying at a Ft Lauderdale area hotel, and planning to use a shared shuttle service to get to Port of Miami, hence my question about recent experience with MJS. We've used SAS in the past to get from POM to FLL, but SAS didn't want to stop at the hotel we are using.

Hopefully all goes well. If I find a great deal on a rental car, I'll cancel the shuttle and just do the rental car.

Has anyone had a negative experience with a cab or getting a cab from either the hotel to the port in the morning or the port to airport?

Hi again:)....your question is a bit general.....there are 1,000's (not

exaggerating) of people who take cabs from their hotels to the ship

and even more 1,000's who take a cab from the ship to the airport.

Negative experiences? What type are you referring to? There are

tons and tons of cabs waiting at the port for passengers who are

disembarking, needing to go to the airport.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a cab at all...and as for the

hotels? Just ask the front desk to call you a cab:)

Edited by Lois R

We will be debarking from Oasis on May 23. Our flight leaves at about 5:00 pm so we need to be at the airport about 3:00 pm. What is there to do besides Everglades or shopping?

Norine

http://www.sunny.org lists attractions, restaurants and transportation options. The water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) is highly recommended.

I have a cruise out of FLL Dec 26/15. Plan on staying at Hyatt Place or Bahir Mar for the 2 nights, need to plan for restaurants and things to do. We don't plan on renting a car. There will a party of 8.

I was wondering if anyone remembers what was opened Dec24 and 25, 2014 - restaurants, stores, water taxi, trolley?

Edited by phabric

We are coming to Ft L 2 nts pre cruise to attend a Panthers hockey game. Due to weeknight traffic to the game, we're staying by the arena. That eliminates the option of shuttle to the ship. Any advice for parking at the port? Would love to learn they have valet like Tampa...

I've never seen valet parking AT the terminals, but there is Park N Go at the entrance to the port. They will valet your car and shuttle you to and from your terminal with your luggage. They charge much less than the port does, and the biggest savings are if you prebook.

There are occasionally sexual assaults by taxi drivers. One was reported on the news tonight. One happened in November. Is this what you mean by a negative experience?

I've never seen valet parking AT the terminals, but there is Park N Go at the entrance to the port. They will valet your car and shuttle you to and from your terminal with your luggage. They charge much less than the port does, and the biggest savings are if you prebook.

Thanks...I will look them up.

My advice, and what I do with cabs around the world, is to take a photo of the cab with my phone BEFORE I get in - I also take a photo of the driver's info if it is posted. If asked I explain that I want a record in case I forget something in the cab. With the driver knowing that you have a record of the cab/license he is much less likely to try to cheat you on the fare (or something worse! :eek:).

If you do not behave like a sheep you are much less likely to be sheared. :cool:

We've used cabs regularly between FLL and hotels, hotel to PE and PE back to FLL and have largely been happy with the service.

Edited by JohninDC

There are occasionally sexual assaults by taxi drivers. One was reported on the news tonight. One happened in November. Is this what you mean by a negative experience?

and I should add that there are bad people everywhere. This has nothing to do with Ft Lauderdale really. It's just dangerous for a woman to get into a car alone with a stranger.

Not really. I think you're just going to the extreme with my question. I meant more a rude cab driver, an argumentative cab driver, maybe even an irritating one. I don't think I made that clear. Perhaps this can clear it up.

When you arrive in fll, do you have to call the Hyatt Place on 10th for the free shuttle, or do they automatically come at a specific time and place?

I'm not sure if you have to call the hotel, but people who have reviewed the hotel did call for the shuttle. Make sure that you have the exact address of the hotel, as there are 2 Hyatt Places close to the airport and they both have shuttles.

If you don't feel like waiting around, a taxi will cost about $10 plus tip.

I'm not sure if you have to call the hotel, but people who have reviewed the hotel did call for the shuttle. Make sure that you have the exact address of the hotel, as there are 2 Hyatt Places close to the airport and they both have shuttles.

If you don't feel like waiting around, a taxi will cost about $10 plus tip.

Awesome thank you. I forgot about the Hyatt pier. I didn't know the Hyatt pier had a shutle.

Awesome thank you. I forgot about the Hyatt pier. I didn't know the Hyatt pier had a shutle.

Hyatt Pier 66 doesn't have a shuttle, and it is not a Hyatt Place hotel.

There is a Hyatt Place south of FLL airport that does:

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

91 Southwest 18th Avenue

Dania Beach, Florida, USA, 33004