Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We will be staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a couple of

weeks.

Our flight gets in at 5:00 PM we leave the following day on our cruise.

My question is... Is there a store with in walking distance that time of the evening that is doable and safe?

Or should I have the Taxis that we get at the airport stop at the store on the way to the hotel?

We need to buy wine, water and soda..

Thanks for your help ;)

sailing in February, it'll be 6 adults which include elderly parents. We'll have much luggage along with Mom's wheelchair and Dad's walker. Wife and I usually just grab cab out of FLL but with all the aforementioned, what's our best option? We've done this before but for the life of me I can't recall what it was we did. Any input is appreciated. :)

You should try booking Hyatt Place through ValueTrips once they post rates for 2015. This April it was only $99/night. They have free airport shuttle and low cost port shuttle.

Is it @ 1851 SE 10th Avenue? Any idea how much the port shuttle is?

Is it @ 1851 SE 10th Avenue? Any idea how much the port shuttle is?

I called them and it is $7/pp from hotel to port, sign up when you check in, they have certain times for the shuttle. Free shuttle to/from hotel/airport. Taxi is less than $20 from hotel to port.

Hyatt pier sixty six or Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina.

Which would you choose and why? They are close the the same price except for a resort fee. Looking at $150 and lower per night. 2 adults/2 teen girls

I've been to FLL and stayed at the following places: Hyatt Place on 17th, embassy suites, bahia mar, riverside hotel. They are all over my budget.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We will be staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a couple of

weeks.

Our flight gets in at 5:00 PM we leave the following day on our cruise.

My question is... Is there a store with in walking distance that time of the evening that is doable and safe?

Or should I have the Taxis that we get at the airport stop at the store on the way to the hotel?

I know walgreens is walking distance and they sell wine too. Total wine/publix is close. Could walk there and cab back. If stop by cab on way to hilton.....can place internet order at Total Wine and just do a pickup.

We also staying there in April. Enjoy your cruise! JoAnne

Edited by JoAnneNYI

Thanks Joanne for your help..;)

Also I am wondering if its safe to walk from the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina

to Publix or Total wine after dark??

Walgreens is just 2 blocks away. The neighborhood is low-crime. If you go to Publix or Total Wine, you can cross at the crosswalk at Eisenhower Blvd.

Hyatt pier sixty six or Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina.

Which would you choose and why? They are close the the same price except for a resort fee. Looking at $150 and lower per night. 2 adults/2 teen girls

I've been to FLL and stayed at the following places: Hyatt Place on 17th, embassy suites, bahia mar, riverside hotel. They are all over my budget.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sue

They are both nice. I would choose either based on the total price, or choose Hilton Marina based on being closer to stores and to budget restaurants, since you state that you have a budget. Have a nice trip!

Edited by royalcruz

Additionally, we would like to take parents here for pre-cruise dinner. Think the nostalgic atmosphere would be neat for them. We plan to make res. Any idea how much a taxi would run us from Embassy, 17th St (6 adults and would likely leave wheelchair behind). TIA:)

About $20.

They are both nice. I would choose either based on the total price, or choose Hilton Marina based on being closer to stores and to budget restaurants, since you state that you have a budget. Have a nice trip!

I won the Hyatt pier sixty six. I used a $25 promo code so it was $152. Per night. Plus I will pay the resort fee...

I'm sure it will be fine. :-)

We are disembarking in Port Everglades and our flight leaves from MIA at 7 PM that evening. I know that I can take a Princess shuttle for $24 pp to MIA but that would leave probably early in the morning. I've read a taxi would be about $85. Is there anything we could do near the Miami Airport that day? We could go there early, check in our bags and then have the whole afternoon to do something. I just don't know if the airport is near anything. Thanks for any suggestions.

You should rent a car, as you want to go to places that are far from each other and cabs will cost you about $300 total for those 2 round trips. April rates will be high. You should try booking Hyatt Place through ValueTrips once they post rates for 2015. This April it was only $99/night. They have free airport shuttle and low cost port shuttle.

I saw this post about valuetrips.com. If I wanted to cancel after booking it, how do I do it? Can I do it online or do I have to call? I couldnt find anything about it on their site.

I did post this on another thread where the discussion was about car rentals, but I think this is the thread where I saw information about Costco discounted car rental rates??

In any event, I see that Royalcruz has been so helpful and knows everything "FLL" it seems! So perhaps posting here as well ---and hoping I'm not breaking the rules or causing confusion (sorry I'm farily new to CC!!) forgive me if that's the case!

Budget or Avis?

Found both, comparable price, same pick up location (Near Port Everglades SE 17th Street) and same return to FLL/Hlywd Int'l Airport. Although the Avis booking says "port everglades shuttle for cruise ships" so I guess you get free shuttle with that booking and not with Budget?

Not sure which company to book with, as we're completely unfamiliar with the FLL area.

Found a deal online at Costco website (Cdn website .ca) we can book here online and rent there, discounted price for Costco members (I learned about Costco car rentals on another thread on Cr Critic, but I can't find it now to get back and ask this question! LOL)

We're cruising with Celebrity in April and return to Port Everglades at 7:00am but our flight home isn't until late that evening around 9pm!

Really don't have a lot of experience renting cars and again, FLL isn't familiar so looking for closest, easiest car rental to get to once we disembark (possibly carry off our luggage) and get to rental car quickly to capitalize on the time we have with the rental for the day!

Car rental suggestions....are we on the right track??

As soon as we figure out the car rental, we can then try and decide what we want to do in FLL for the day!

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

sailing in February, it'll be 6 adults which include elderly parents. We'll have much luggage along with Mom's wheelchair and Dad's walker. Wife and I usually just grab cab out of FLL but with all the aforementioned, what's our best option? We've done this before but for the life of me I can't recall what it was we did. Any input is appreciated. :)

any advice on the above? TIA

I saw this post about valuetrips.com. If I wanted to cancel after booking it, how do I do it? Can I do it online or do I have to call? I couldnt find anything about it on their

Valuetrips gives you Hyatt Place's phone on their confirmation email. You contact Hyatt Place to cancel.

As soon as we figure out the car rental, we can then try and decide what we want to do in FLL for the day!

I can't tell you what car rental company to go with (we got the best price from through our airline last year), but I can assure you that the airport is very close to the port. You could take a taxi to the airport from the ship if a shuttle is not available and ask them to drop you off near the car rentals (probably arrivals, if I recall correctly it was in the terminal). Then you can easily get to your rental.

For car rentals in other locations I have had great luck with Hotwire. You won't know the name of the company until after you purchase, but they only use major agencies in the terminal.

I saw this post about valuetrips.com. If I wanted to cancel after booking it, how do I do it? Can I do it online or do I have to call? I couldnt find anything about it on their site.

This is on the Valuetrips website:

"Reservations can only be confirmed with a credit card to guarantee your reservation. Please provide your card information below. Your card will not be charged for your stay. It is only to guarantee your reservation. Please make payment arrangements at check-in. NOTE: If your plans change, you must call to change or cancel your reservation at least 24 hours before your arrival date to avoid a no-show penalty."

You call the hotel.

Edited by royalcruz

I did post this on another thread where the discussion was about car rentals, but I think this is the thread where I saw information about Costco discounted car rental rates??

In any event, I see that Royalcruz has been so helpful and knows everything "FLL" it seems! So perhaps posting here as well ---and hoping I'm not breaking the rules or causing confusion (sorry I'm farily new to CC!!) forgive me if that's the case!

Budget or Avis?

Found both, comparable price, same pick up location (Near Port Everglades SE 17th Street) and same return to FLL/Hlywd Int'l Airport. Although the Avis booking says "port everglades shuttle for cruise ships" so I guess you get free shuttle with that booking and not with Budget?

Not sure which company to book with, as we're completely unfamiliar with the FLL area.

Found a deal online at Costco website (Cdn website .ca) we can book here online and rent there, discounted price for Costco members (I learned about Costco car rentals on another thread on Cr Critic, but I can't find it now to get back and ask this question! LOL)

We're cruising with Celebrity in April and return to Port Everglades at 7:00am but our flight home isn't until late that evening around 9pm!

Really don't have a lot of experience renting cars and again, FLL isn't familiar so looking for closest, easiest car rental to get to once we disembark (possibly carry off our luggage) and get to rental car quickly to capitalize on the time we have with the rental for the day!

I also have found the Costco prices to be the best for car rentals most of the time.

Avis (and National) has a free port shuttle from the airport. Budget has a free port shuttle from the 17th St location.

Use GoogleMaps to map Port Everglades. Then under "search nearby" enter car rentals. You will see that there are car rental agencies all over the place. The big companies have outlets both at the airport and outside of the airport. Where you see the tight cluster of agencies, that is the airport location; the others are spread out around US1/SE 17th St/A1A. It's only a $10-15 ride to get to any of them, and only a 5-10 minute ride (3 miles maybe).

A bunch of the rental car companies are owned by one company. I've used most of the big companies and it's all the same to me. I don't rent cars in Ft Lauderdale, so if you have further questions, hopefully someone else can help.

Edited by royalcruz

Originally Posted by cruisinlawn

sailing in February, it'll be 6 adults which include elderly parents. We'll have much luggage along with Mom's wheelchair and Dad's walker. Wife and I usually just grab cab out of FLL but with all the aforementioned, what's our best option? We've done this before but for the life of me I can't recall what it was we did. Any input is appreciated.

any advice on the above? TIA

There is an attendant at the taxi line at FLL. That person should be able to make sure that you have a taxi that fits everything. There are some taxi vans that should work if your parents can climb up. If not, 2 taxis or a taxi car and a taxi van.

I also have found the Costco prices to be the best for car rentals most of the time.

Avis (and National) has a free port shuttle from the airport. Budget has a free port shuttle from the 17th St location.

Use GoogleMaps to map Port Everglades. Then under "search nearby" enter car rentals. You will see that there are car rental agencies all over the place. The big companies have outlets both at the airport and outside of the airport. Where you see the tight cluster of agencies, that is the airport location; the others are spread out around US1/SE 17th St/A1A. It's only a $10-15 ride to get to any of them, and only a 5-10 minute ride (3 miles maybe).

A bunch of the rental car companies are owned by one company. I've used most of the big companies and it's all the same to me. I don't rent cars in Ft Lauderdale, so if you have further questions, hopefully someone else can help.

I believe it is Alamo that has the free shuttle to the port from the airport.