Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Anyone stayed here and is it really as bad as some of the reviews. Free shuttle from airport and to cruise ship has peeked my interest

There are many choices that are better......I know the Oakland Park

area.......you are better served finding another property.....lots of

places and as for shuttles? I don't even worry about that.....tons

of hotels that are within a 10.00==15.00 cabride......but if you want

a shuttle, try Fairfield Inn on Griffin, LaQuinta on 26th, or Springhill Suites

in Dania.......those 3 are better than Oakland Park.

Anyone stayed here and is it really as bad as some of the reviews. Free shuttle from airport and to cruise ship has peeked my interest

Parts of Oakland Park are ok, but the part that the Days Inn is in is not a nice area...I would not feel safe there.

I've read back through this quite a ways and didn't see am answer for part of this so here goes...

I'm cruising with my 72 year old dad on 1/31 it off Miami. Air from Boston is crazy right now so thinking of staying in FLL. We'll be arriving 1/29. Planning on using price line or hotel tonight for rooms. Open to other suggestions though.... My plan is to go back to FLL airport and take Miami port express (13$ each), down to the Miami port on Saturday morning. Haven't found much info about them. Is this a decent company ? Is this a decent plan? Probably my dad's last vacation just don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance... Sharon you're amazing!

If you check SAS Transport, they can pick you up at your hotel in Ft Lauderdale (their site lists the hotels they serve) and take you directly to your ship for $15 pp. They are wonderful. Many on this forum use them. The driver calls you as he is headed to pick you up, you call them when you get your luggage before customs.

We're getting off the ship I guess around 9 and then want to store our luggage at the FFL airport. We have a 5 pm flight. Want to take a taxi for a few hours to a nice open area, not a beach, maybe an interesting street or beach front promenade with shops/restaurants. Any suggestions. Not a mall.Thanks

We are staying at the Embassy Suites for the third time.

Our TA priced it with linking it to our cruise and it was more than we ever paid.

Then we booked on our own using our rewards Number (not Points) and we got a better deal.

Plus we found out had we booked thru RCI we would not be able to claim our loyalty points for a reason we do not know since the price was higher.

So we are staying at the Embassy Suites again for a decent price.

We like it there it meets our needs, and we like the evening managers special, and the full breakfast.

Also we walk to Publix to get our last minute supplies.

Sea Ya

I am looking at Embassy Suites , we are a family of 6. The hotel info states they pay for 2 to shuttle from airport. We can pay for kids at desk ,Anyone know the cost for the shuttle per person? Thank for your help :)

We're getting off the ship I guess around 9 and then want to store our luggage at the FFL airport. We have a 5 pm flight. Want to take a taxi for a few hours to a nice open area, not a beach, maybe an interesting street or beach front promenade with shops/restaurants. Any suggestions. Not a mall.Thanks

My recommendation in Fort Lauderdale would be to stroll along Las Olas Boulevard. It is trendy and full of shopping, bars, restaurants, and art galleries. A nice way to spend a few hours, especially if you don't have to worry about your luggage in tow.

What to do with your luggage:

• If your airline participates in the cruiseline's luggage express program use that - leave luggage out the night before arrival, pick it up at your final destination for a per person price.
  • Taxi to FLL and store your luggage at Bags to Go (http://www.bagstogo.net - they are in each terminal)

Where to go: check out the Fort Lauderdale tourist website (http://www.sunny.org) for info on attractions, restaurants, transportation, etc. The water taxi is highly recommended (http://www.watertaxi.com). If you aren't interested in the beach, head to Las Olas Blvd - lots of restaurants, galleries, window shopping etc. Start at the west end of the street and you can mosey (or take the Sun Trolley) all the way to the beach (there are more restaurants along the beach front).

How to get there from FLL:

Have fun!

Edited by capriccio

My recommendation in Fort Lauderdale would be to stroll along Las Olas Boulevard. It is trendy and full of shopping, bars, restaurants, and art galleries. A nice way to spend a few hours, especially if you don't have to worry about your luggage in tow.

Thank you for the information

Definitely Las Olas Blvd. There is about a mile of shops and restaurants. I would taxi to Cheesecake Factory and go east from there. When you reach SE 15th Ave, there isn't much past there(unless you go another 1.5 miles to the beach), so turn around and walk up the opposite side. Once you get back to where you started, you can walk west along the Riverwalk (the brick-paved riverfront). When you get as far west as the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, there isn't anything past there, so walk back east on 2nd St and you'll find a bunch of bars/cafes. This all makes for a nice 3+ mile stroll.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi.

We will be sailing out of FLL in December.

We are a party of 10, so want to get two rooms at Embassy Suites (this is a NYE cruise).

I may go down a day/two early with my 21 year old dd before my dh/ds rest of family arrive.

Is it correct that if I book at Embassy, my dd and I can walk to Las Olas for dinner and shops (we live in NY and I worked in Manhattan for 100 years LOL Will walking be okay for us at night, like it would be in mid/uptown Manhattan)?

Does the Embassy get booked fairly quickly? We will be boarding the Independence on December 28 and it is a NYE cruise so not sure how quickly the hotels book up (in Manhattan they can be booked almost a year in advance).

Also, is there a liquor store in walking distance to the Embassy Suites?

I would like to pick up 5/6 bottles of champagne to bring on with us (we have 4 cabins booked).

When we are ready to go from Embassy to the RCCL Pier in FLL, we are a party of 10? Would our best/most cost effective option by a cab for each party of 5 or should we rent a van? We will be a party of 10 with luggage.

Thank you all VERY much!

Hi.

We will be sailing out of FLL in December.

We are a party of 10, so want to get two rooms at Embassy Suites (this is a NYE cruise).

I may go down a day/two early with my 21 year old dd before my dh/ds rest of family arrive. Check out http://www.sunny.org for info on attractions, restaurants and transportation.

Is it correct that if I book at Embassy, my dd and I can walk to Las Olas for dinner and shops (we live in NY and I worked in Manhattan for 100 years LOL Will walking be okay for us at night, like it would be in mid/uptown Manhattan)? It is over a 2 mile walk one way and I would never recommend it at night. Take a taxi - they aren't expensive.

Does the Embassy get booked fairly quickly? Yes; it is especially popular with cruisers and since you'll be there during a holiday week don't wait too long to book. We will be boarding the Independence on December 28 and it is a NYE cruise so not sure how quickly the hotels book up (in Manhattan they can be booked almost a year in advance).

Also, is there a liquor store in walking distance to the Embassy Suites? Total Wine is right behind it in the Harbor Shops.

I would like to pick up 5/6 bottles of champagne to bring on with us (we have 4 cabins booked).

When we are ready to go from Embassy to the RCCL Pier in FLL, we are a party of 10? Would our best/most cost effective option by a cab for each party of 5 or should we rent a van? We will be a party of 10 with luggage. Get 2 taxis (you can request van taxis for the same price as a sedan) - it should only be about $12 - $15 per taxi.

Thank you all VERY much!

See responses in red.

Edited by capriccio

See responses in red.

Thank you so much!

Maybe I'll book today just to at least hold our reservations and can always change and look around. Just went on to sunny to see if I could get a better deal for Embassy but it is $10 higher than booking directly on the website.

I'll take a cab to Las Olas. Thanks.

Sorry, I have a question.

Are the Embassy suite 2 room suites, 2 bedrooms or just two rooms?

This makes a big difference to me since we want two bedrooms.

Thanks so much!

All the Embassy Suites we've stayed in (too numerous to count), including the one in Fort Lauderdale, are 2 rooms (bedroom and sitting room with fold out couch). I've seen comments on this board that Gallery Suites and Residence Inn (I think, I'm sure someone else will chime in if my memory is faulty) have 2 bedroom suites.

All the Embassy Suites we've stayed in (too numerous to count), including the one in Fort Lauderdale, are 2 rooms (bedroom and sitting room with fold out couch). I've seen comments on this board that Gallery Suites and Residence Inn (I think, I'm sure someone else will chime in if my memory is faulty) have 2 bedroom suites.

You are correct, Residence Inn has true 2 bedroom suites, with a full bathroom in each bedroom.

Thank you VERY much!

I will need to cancel my Embassy reservations, which I made today.

I need two dedicated two bedrooms or 4 hotel rooms.

Thanks so much!

You are correct, Residence Inn has true 2 bedroom suites, with a full bathroom in each bedroom.

Thanks so much!

I'll do some research but do you know if they get good reviews and is it close to restaurants, shops and RCCL pier?

Is there a liquor shop close by where I can purchase a few bottles of champagne (we have 4 cabins so know I can bring on

up to 8).

Thanks so much!

Edited by js

Thanks so much!

I'll do some research but do you know if they get good reviews and is it close to restaurants, shops and RCCL pier?

Is there a liquor shop close by where I can purchase a few bottles of champagne (we have 4 cabins so know I can bring on

up to 8).

Thanks so much!

In Ft. Lauderdale, a really good place to buy wine is Total Wine in the Harbor Shops, right off 17th St. This is very close to the port entrance. If you are taking a taxi to the port, you can easily stop here. In fact, you can use their website to order and pay for your wine/champagne, and just run in and pick it up on the way to the port.

Definitely Las Olas Blvd. There is about a mile of shops and restaurants. I would taxi to Cheesecake Factory and go east from there. When you reach SE 15th Ave, there isn't much past there(unless you go another 1.5 miles to the beach), so turn around and walk up the opposite side. Once you get back to where you started, you can walk west along the Riverwalk (the brick-paved riverfront). When you get as far west as the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, there isn't anything past there, so walk back east on 2nd St and you'll find a bunch of bars/cafes. This all makes for a nice 3+ mile stroll.

Thank you royalcruz, I think we'll do that, store the luggage and take the free shuttle or taxi

I think Gallery One is the only hotel with 2 BR suites very close to a store where you can purchase champagne (Publix is a block away, across the street). It's about 4 miles north of the port.

As an alternative you can book one of the very expensive 2 BR suites at W, and hope that CVS .75 miles south sells champagne (not too sure but you can call CVS Beach Place and ask).

Edited by royalcruz

• 2 weeks later...

I will be writing a full review later, but wanted to let everyone know that we just self-disembarked off the Victory on Thursday. Self-Disembarkation began at 8:15 for Platinum & FTTF. We were off ship, through customs and at the curb by 8:30 a.m. where QLS Transportation was waiting. We arrived Fort Lauderdale Airport in less than 30 minutes and were through TSA by 9:30 a.m. We will definitely do this route again!

NOTE: Traffic going the other direction was horrendous! We would never do this if going from Port of Fort Lauderdale to MIA.