Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Hi all!

We are staying in FL at Cambria Suites (near the airport), with a group one night before our cruise. I understand that it has a shuttle to and from the airport and the port. Is it a decent hotel? Is there anything (i.e. restaurants, CVS/Walgreens) near the hotel within walking distance? I would like to get soda before the cruise, so that I don't have to take it on the plane with me! :o

How far away is the water taxi?

Are there any restaurants in the FL airport, so we can get lunch when we land?

TIA!!

Oh! I just read on another thread that there is a Walmart next to Sawgrass Mills!:) Now have to decide between taxi RT to Sawgrass/Walmart or the ships excursion to Sawgrass. I tried to check the taxi price and saw that it was around $45-50...can anyone verify that? And is that pp or for any number of pp? Thanks again!

A taxi to Sawgrass Mills from the port will cost about $50 per taxi. There is also a Walmart in Hallandale, but that one is also quite far. There are no Walmarts in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not sure what you are trying to purchase, but a few blocks away from the port you will find T.J. Maxx, Ross, and Dollar Tree (about a $10 taxi ride).

Hi all!

We are staying in FL at Cambria Suites (near the airport), with a group one night before our cruise. I understand that it has a shuttle to and from the airport and the port. Is it a decent hotel? Is there anything (i.e. restaurants, CVS/Walgreens) near the hotel within walking distance? I would like to get soda before the cruise, so that I don't have to take it on the plane with me! :o

How far away is the water taxi?

Are there any restaurants in the FL airport, so we can get lunch when we land?

TIA!!

There aren't many table service restaurants in the airport, but there is a table service Chili's Too in Terminal 3 (you don't need a ticket to get there). There are lots of fast food options in the airport.

Cambria is not in the most convenient location but there is a Kmart several blocks away (east of I95) that sells soda. There are a few restaurants near Kmart, like Chipotle, fast food, and Moonlite Diner. Close to the hotel is Las Vegas Cuban Restaurant.

The closest water taxi stop for Ft Lauderdale is 7 miles away at Hilton Marina. The closest Hollywood stop is 6 miles away at Giorgio's Bakery. The Ft Lauderdale route is more interesting IMO, but if you have ALL day you can transfer at Hilton Marina and do both.

Edited by royalcruz

A taxi to Sawgrass Mills from the port will cost about $50 per taxi. There is also a Walmart in Hallandale, but that one is also quite far. There are no Walmarts in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not sure what you are trying to purchase, but a few blocks away from the port you will find T.J. Maxx, Ross, and Dollar Tree (about a $10 taxi ride).

Thanks for confirmation on the taxi fare to Sawgrass Mills. Is the closest Walmart at Lauderdale Lakes (on N. State Rd 7) or S. University Dr or S. Flamingo? Looking at a map it seems LL would be closest, but not sure.

We love browsing and getting all kinds of things at Walmart, but love TJM and Dollar tree too. Have never checked out Ross, but have heard there are some good deals on dresses to be had there. Are those in a mall like Galleria or separate?

There aren't many table service restaurants in the airport, but there is a table service Chili's Too in Terminal 3 (you don't need a ticket to get there). There are lots of fast food options in the airport.

The Chili's Too in terminal 3 is (at present time) inaccessible without a plane ticket. The construction in the terminal made it so (sadly). I noticed this last week when I was in the building, as the middle cut through is now an "exit only" for the secure area.

Thanks for confirmation on the taxi fare to Sawgrass Mills. Is the closest Walmart at Lauderdale Lakes (on N. State Rd 7) or S. University Dr or S. Flamingo? Looking at a map it seems LL would be closest, but not sure.

We love browsing and getting all kinds of things at Walmart, but love TJM and Dollar tree too. Have never checked out Ross, but have heard there are some good deals on dresses to be had there. Are those in a mall like Galleria or separate?

The Ross is in the Southport Plaza on SE 17th Street.

Wal-Mart is a pretty good distance to/from the port/beach/17th St area.

I just booked my Jan 11th 2015 cruise. I am starting to look at hotels. I am looking to book a room for 2 double beds. I would also need Airport Shuttle and Port Shuttle (Doesn't have to be free) Everything I have found is $200+ for one night. Is it just me or does that seem high? Any help for ideas would be great!!

My flight will be in 6pm the day before the cruise.

I just booked my Jan 11th 2015 cruise. I am starting to look at hotels. I am looking to book a room for 2 double beds. I would also need Airport Shuttle and Port Shuttle (Doesn't have to be free) Everything I have found is $200+ for one night. Is it just me or does that seem high? Any help for ideas would be great!!

Sounds about right for January. I ended up around $235 for the Sheraton airport/cruiseport.

Qtvagurll11...

There is a group of boutique hotels called North Beach Village...just about equal distance from the airport and cruiseport. I stayed at TropiRock several years ago and will be staying at Cocobelle in February. $109. for the night...regular room with two queen beds. They also have larger rooms with kitchens, etc. Pool on the property and the beach is just about a 3-4 minute walk. They have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. Not sure about shuttle to the cruiseport. You can check them out at TripAdvisor or google North Beach Village...it will show you pictures and give you descriptions of each of the hotels. Super clean and convenient. Galleria Mall is about a mile away...Beach Place just a couple of blocks. Good luck!

Someone mentioned that a T. J. Maxx would be opening at the Harbor Shops. Has that opened yet? Being from Chicago, it's hard to find summer clothes now and I was hoping to find something at T.J.'s. There's a Ross near there too, right?

The walmart in Lauderdale Lakes and the one on S University in Davie are both about 10 miles from the port. Davie is a lower crime neighborhood than Lauderdale Lakes, so I'd choose Davie. The Ross Dress for Less by the port is in a shopping center, not in an enclosed mall. Galleria Mall is moderate to upscale...Ross is a discount store. I rarely find anything at Ross but if you like low prices you might like it.

Edited by royalcruz

That seems about right. You can get the Sleep Inn in Dania for $159 if you prepay and join the Choice hotel club. Anything cheaper might be gross or scary unless you get lucky with a discount website.

Someone mentioned that a T. J. Maxx would be opening at the Harbor Shops. Has that opened yet? Being from Chicago, it's hard to find summer clothes now and I was hoping to find something at T.J.'s. There's a Ross near there too, right?

TJ Maxx opened last week. Ross is across the street.

Try the Roadway Hotel. A friend used it and she was very pleased. It has a shuttle and is reasonably priced. It is high season in Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

My fiancee and I will be in FLL on his birthday on Dec 28th. I am trying to figure out a fun restaurant to take him to. For my birthday he took me to the melting pot and we had a lot of fun. I'm looking for a cool type of place like that to take him. We like steak, seafood, and he is looking forward to trying alligator. Any ideas of an unique/fun restaurant I could take him to?

My fiancee and I will be in FLL on his birthday on Dec 28th. I am trying to figure out a fun restaurant to take him to. For my birthday he took me to the melting pot and we had a lot of fun. I'm looking for a cool type of place like that to take him. We like steak, seafood, and he is looking forward to trying alligator. Any ideas of an unique/fun restaurant I could take him to?

http://www.southportrawbar.com/

Bad website, amazing food!

Right on the docks, although I'm not sure the December weather will let you enjoy the dock-side patio.

You won't leave unsatisfied though.

Try the Dining in the Dark experience at Market 17 (17th Street Causeway, near Port Everglades). I surprised my fiance there one year for his birthday and we had such a fun time. If you're adventurous, go for it, and if you have any type of food allergies, you can call ahead and let the chef know. (By the way, Melting Pot's Fort Lauderdale location closed in October).

Here is some more info:

http://www.market17.net/darkdining.htm

Edited by brunello22

Here are some fun places that have served Alligator. Check to see that they still have it on the menu...

Rustic Inn

Lulu's Baitshack

Coconuts

Casablanca

Lobster Bar doesn't have Alligator. They do, however, have awesome service and food, and on Sunday nights there is a great $49 3-course menu that you will enjoy. In addition, they do really nice complimentary birthday desserts in case you prefer a la carte.

Cruising out of Fort Lauderdale on the Independence in Feb. We're flying down a day early. So does anyone have any advice on travels? Like what is the best deal as far as which Airport, hotel, shuttle to & from...There will only be 3 or 4 of us this time so a cab, shuttle, rental car anything is doable. We've cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale a few times but was wondering if there is any advice on the best way. Thanks Also is there Hotels at the port where you can see the Ships and walk a board walk to eat or something like that?

Wow!! Thanks for all of the great options everyone. I think that I have some serious considering to do now. I really liked quite a few of those options. :) I'm debating on whether or not to surprise him or if I should just go ahead and let him pick it haha.

Edited by melnemac32

Cruising out of Fort Lauderdale on the Independence in Feb. We're flying down a day early. So does anyone have any advice on travels? Like what is the best deal as far as which Airport, hotel, shuttle to & from...There will only be 3 or 4 of us this time so a cab, shuttle, rental car anything is doable. We've cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale a few times but was wondering if there is any advice on the best way. Thanks Also is there Hotels at the port where you can see the Ships and walk a board walk to eat or something like that?

Your thread from elsewhere has been moved to the Florida departures board for the same question. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133931