Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We will be staying in FLL post cruise next Oct and decided to spend one night rather then getting a flight right after the cruise and arrive home around 10 PM or after. What hotels would you recommend close to the FLL INTL Airport. I was looking at the BW Plus, not the one South of the airport.

Gay

We will be staying in FLL post cruise next Oct and decided to spend one night rather then getting a flight right after the cruise and arrive home around 10 PM or after. What hotels would you recommend close to the FLL INTL Airport. I was looking at the BW Plus, not the one South of the airport.

Gay

I would recommend looking at the hotels on SE 17th St. They are all good and very close to the airport. There's some shopping and lots of dining in the area and you can even take the Suntrolley to the beach for a buck.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi Sharon, thank you, was googling the area and looked at Hotels over on 17th Ave. I was also wondering since it is 1 night if we wanted to be closer to the airport. Plenty of time to decide. Our cruise will end in FLL on Nov 3rd 2015. Due to a very late arrival home, I decided we should spend the night and take an early flight home.

Gay

Hi Sharon, thank you, was googling the area and looked at Hotels over on 17th Ave. I was also wondering since it is 1 night if we wanted to be closer to the airport. Plenty of time to decide. Our cruise will end in FLL on Nov 3rd 2015. Due to a very late arrival home, I decided we should spend the night and take an early flight home.

Gay

The hotels on 24th St (also called S.R. 84) near Best Western are the same driving distance to the airport as the 17th St hotels. They are physically closer, but you can't fly like a bird. :) The 17th St area is MUCH nicer than 24th St. but 24th St might be cheaper.

So me and my munchkin are staying at Hyatt Place on 17th. We get in fairly early and I would love to take him to the movies. Is there a movie theater nearby?

No there isn't. There was one there over 20 yrs ago. There is a movie theatre near the Stirling Rd hotels (Regal Oakwood), but they were just on the news this week because a woman complained her whole family got bed bugs there.

Edited by royalcruz

We wil be flying into FLL in February to sail on the Oasis of the Seas, and were told to book Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port Hotel is that a fairly nice hotel we just need it because we are flying in a day early? Thank you for your help and advice.

There isn't anything to do around the airport Sheraton and the reviews say it badly needs a makeover.

Umm no thank you!!!!!! Ewww just made me itch lol

No there isn't. There was one there over 20 yrs ago. There is a movie theatre near the Stirling Rd hotels (Regal Oakwood), but they were just on the news this week because a woman complained her whole family got bed bugs there.

My wife and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th on 12/31 and 1/1 prior to our cruise. Are there any traditional Fort Lauderdale New Years Eve events to consider? We are not looking for big party/dancing, etc. at a fancy hotel or restaurant, but rather something casual and unique to the area. Looking forward to our first New Years Eve with temperatures above freezing. LOL.

My wife and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th on 12/31 and 1/1 prior to our cruise. Are there any traditional Fort Lauderdale New Years Eve events to consider? We are not looking for big party/dancing, etc. at a fancy hotel or restaurant, but rather something casual and unique to the area. Looking forward to our first New Years Eve with temperatures above freezing. LOL.

There is usually the Downtown Countdown party but it hasn't been advertised yet for this year. Here is last year's ad....

http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/events/countdown/

Hi,

We are staying in Gallery one for 4 nights over New Year. Which of the restaurants around the Galleria area would you recommend for a nice New Year Eve dinner? Are reservations necessary? What about dress code (especially as its NYE)? (up to $200 for 2 including a couple of glasses of wine)

Does any restaurant do a dinner and dancing event on NYE? (not at the same budget of course!!).

thanks

Hi,

We are staying in Gallery one for 4 nights over New Year. Which of the restaurants around the Galleria area would you recommend for a nice New Year Eve dinner? Are reservations necessary? What about dress code (especially as its NYE)? (up to $200 for 2 including a couple of glasses of wine)

Does any restaurant do a dinner and dancing event on NYE? (not at the same budget of course!!).

thanks

The only upscale restaurant by Galleria is Truluck. You should definitely make reservations. People will dress up a bit on NYE, anything from dressy casual to cocktail. They do have a lounge that has live entertainment, but I'm not sure if anyone dances. I don't recall seeing any dinner and dancing events in Ft Lauderdale. Some other very nice restaurants a very short ride away: Chart House, Steak 954, Via Luna, 3030.

The only upscale restaurant by Galleria is Truluck. You should definitely make reservations. People will dress up a bit on NYE, anything from dressy casual to cocktail. They do have a lounge that has live entertainment, but I'm not sure if anyone dances. I don't recall seeing any dinner and dancing events in Ft Lauderdale. Some other very nice restaurants a very short ride away: Chart House, Steak 954, Via Luna, 3030.

Thanks for the info. They are not taking online bookings for NYE, so I'll send them an email and see if they are doing anything special!

On a slightly different subject.......will Sawgrass Mills be crazy on Jan 1st? I presume they will close early on NYE, so Jan 1st is the only other day we have to go!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. They are not taking online bookings for NYE, so I'll send them an email and see if they are doing anything special!

On a slightly different subject.......will Sawgrass Mills be crazy on Jan 1st? I presume they will close early on NYE, so Jan 1st is the only other day we have to go!

Thanks!

There will probably be a NYE party at W hotel in the Living Room lounge or in the Whiskey Blue bar there, with a cover charge. It's a young trendy scene. It's a very short drive there, maybe 1.5 miles. You could dine at the 954 Steak restaurant first, or at S3 in the Hilton next door.

I can't tell you about Sawgrass Mills on Jan 1st as I've never done that. Hopefully you have a car, as taxi fare would be really expensive to go there ( $100 or more round trip).

Edited by royalcruz

We will be in FLL one night pre cruise December 10th and also will be looking to book a room for the day after the cruise (our flight that night is at 8pm, so it will just be a place to kill time for the day, a hotel that allows early check in would be great)

We have three small kids with us 5,4,10 months.

We are looking for a hotel with: Complimentary transfers and breakfast if possible. A pool or playground and some form of kid friendly fast food (or take out) very close by. A store for diapers and wipes would be great too.

We are pretty easy going and not looking for anything amazing. Clean and safe would be good :)

Hoping for a hotel where we could see the Liberty of the Seas in the morning.

Also is a taxi generally cheaper than the hotel shuttle to get to and from the ship?

I saw the Hampton Inn airport north cruise port for $109 but I am not sure if that is good or not for what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance! We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral and have that down pretty well. FLL is pretty new to me. It's been a long time since we have been there.

We will be in FLL one night pre cruise December 10th and also will be looking to book a room for the day after the cruise (our flight that night is at 8pm, so it will just be a place to kill time for the day, a hotel that allows early check in would be great)

We have three small kids with us 5,4,10 months.

We are looking for a hotel with: Complimentary transfers and breakfast if possible. A pool or playground and some form of kid friendly fast food (or take out) very close by. A store for diapers and wipes would be great too.

We are pretty easy going and not looking for anything amazing. Clean and safe would be good :)

Hoping for a hotel where we could see the Liberty of the Seas in the morning.

Also is a taxi generally cheaper than the hotel shuttle to get to and from the ship?

I saw the Hampton Inn airport north cruise port for $109 but I am not sure if that is good or not for what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance! We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral and have that down pretty well. FLL is pretty new to me. It's been a long time since we have been there.

Hampton Inn north FLL/cruiseport will be a great choice for you. They have everything you want except you can't see the port from the hotel. Taxi to the port will be about $15 per taxi, which is cheaper than any per person charge for shuttles that I've ever seen. There are McDonalds, Subway, Wendy's, pizza, Cuban, and Asian food a block away, as well as Winn-Dixie and Big Lots. The port is really big so even if you paid more money (probably at least double what you are paying) for a room with a view of the port, you won't get a good view of Liberty of the Seas. The closest hotel to where that ship usually docks is Hyatt Pier 66, and it's a few blocks from takeout food and stores, and doesn't have any shuttles.

Hampton Inn north FLL/cruiseport will be a great choice for you. They have everything you want except you can't see the port from the hotel. Taxi to the port will be about $15 per taxi, which is cheaper than any per person charge for shuttles that I've ever seen. There are McDonalds, Subway, Wendy's, pizza, Cuban, and Asian food a block away, as well as Winn-Dixie and Big Lots. The port is really big so even if you paid more money (probably at least double what you are paying) for a room with a view of the port, you won't get a good view of Liberty of the Seas. The closest hotel to where that ship usually docks is Hyatt Pier 66, and it's a few blocks from takeout food and stores, and doesn't have any shuttles.

Thank you! We are going to book it. Is the Rodeway good for a day room after the cruise? (8pm flight). The google reviews are hit or miss, but the price is right

Edited by bobbie0253

Thank you! We are going to book it. Is the Rodeway good for a day room after the cruise? (8pm flight). The google reviews are hit or miss, but the price is right

Rodeway is the only place I know of offering dayrooms. Personally, I don't enjoy old motels, but it has been renovated. My friend stayed there this summer with her sister and they said it was fine.