Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't Duffy's a Sportsbar that serves

food?

Panera's? Nothing sports related at all....the menu is salads/sandwiches

and of course bagels and pastries:D...and coffees and teas:)

We often get soups/salads and sandwiches well made at Panera's. That's what we got at Duffys. I had an BLT with avacado on a great thick sliced rye bread and a very very nice salad (they had several choices). Husband had a wonderful soup with his sandwich. I was talking about the type of food, not the atmosphere. The food IMO was similar to Panera's but very inexpensive at lunch tine. I would not usually think of eating at a place like Duffys which is why I made the comparison. Sorry if you don't agree.. Thought I was being helpful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We often get soups/salads and sandwiches well made at Panera's. That's what we got at Duffys. I had an BLT with avacado on a great thick sliced rye bread and a very very nice salad (they had several choices). Husband had a wonderful soup with his sandwich. I was talking about the type of food, not the atmosphere. The food IMO was similar to Panera's but very inexpensive at lunch tine. I would not usually think of eating at a place like Duffys which is why I made the comparison. Sorry if you don't agree.. Thought I was being helpful.

Thank you for the comparison. Not being from the area I wouldn't even think of looking at or going to a place like Duffys if it wasn't for the kinds of recommendations that I read here.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I wasn't critisizing you:eek:......and I was just surprised about the

comparison is all....I put a smile at the end of my post:)......glad

you found Duffy's a good choice and next time I am staying down

there I will give it another try....I was there years ago but not

recently. Oh, I LOVE anything with bacon:D

And one other thing, no need for you to be sorry about anything.

I have always thought of Duffy's as "burgers"....guess I forgot what

else is on their menu.

Edited by Lois R

I wasn't critisizing you:eek:......and I was just surprised about the

comparison is all....I put a smile at the end of my post:)......glad

you found Duffy's a good choice and next time I am staying down

there I will give it another try....I was there years ago but not

recently. Oh, I LOVE anything with bacon:D

And one other thing, no need for you to be sorry about anything.

I have always thought of Duffy's as "burgers"....guess I forgot what

else is on their menu.

Oh Lois,

Didn't realize you had such a love of bacon. My activities today include going to a food festival devoted to bacon. I'm sure you would appreciate it. ;)

Oh Lois,

Didn't realize you had such a love of bacon. My activities today include going to a food festival devoted to bacon. I'm sure you would appreciate it. ;)

A BACON FESTIVAL??:D...omg.....wish I was there!:)

Duffy's has great food which is why I recommend it. I don't go there for the sports bar but for the restaurant. There are TVs everywhere playing sports, but sports fans in FL aren't like in some other places, so it doesn't get rowdy. You can get everything from pub food (burgers and wings) to plated food like ribs and skirt steak. They also have a lot of healthy food, like salads, tuna burgers, grilled fish tacos, and fresh vegetables, as well as a gluten-free menu. It's family friendly and there is something for everyone. All Duffy's are large and well-staffed too, so there isn't usually a wait for a table. :)

I've heard that hotels on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale are nice and close to the port. Anyone have any suggestions? I've kind of got it narrowed down to three:

Extended Stay America

Holiday Inn Express

Hilton Marina

The Hilton Marina is cheapest, but I've read some bad reviews and I don't think it has a free shuttle from airport, whereas the other two do. They are all around $200, which I didn't really want to pay, but it might be worth it for the proximity to the port. Any others I'm overlooking?

I've heard that hotels on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale are nice and close to the port. Anyone have any suggestions? I've kind of got it narrowed down to three:

Extended Stay America

Holiday Inn Express

Hilton Marina

The Hilton Marina is cheapest, but I've read some bad reviews and I don't think it has a free shuttle from airport, whereas the other two do. They are all around $200, which I didn't really want to pay, but it might be worth it for the proximity to the port. Any others I'm overlooking?

Try Hyatt Place on 17th street . Stayed there this may . They have airport shuttle as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Extended Stay America

Holiday Inn Express

Hilton Marina

$200 is a great price for February at any of these hotels. Hilton is my favorite for having a pool resort day, but the others are more convenient to dining and shopping. Renaissance, Embassy Suites, and Hyatt Place are all in that area and are all good choices.

I read through the thread and couldn't find an answer to my question.

We are arriving FLL on Saturday, November 22 and cruising out of Port of Miami that day. We arrive back at Port of Miami and do not leave FLL until 5 pm that evening.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do before we have to get to the airport? Is there a tour that would pick us up at the Port and drop us off at the airport? I know we have done that in Rome and in Seattle and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are arriving FLL on Saturday, November 22 and cruising out of Port of Miami that day. We arrive back at Port of Miami and do not leave FLL until 5 pm that evening.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do before we have to get to the airport? Is there a tour that would pick us up at the Port and drop us off at the airport? I know we have done that in Rome and in Seattle and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good morning:).....most cruiselines offer "Post Cruise excursions". I did

the airboat tour to the Everglades back in February and loved it:D....

I have sailed from both Miami and FLL for many years and it was the

first time I have ever taken that tour.......it was alot of fun:D

We also did the Everglades Tour last year. It was fun. It was a lot better of a way to spend some time than cooling our heels at the airport for hours. Plus, it was very convenient. We took our luggage to the bus. They loaded it and we didn't see it again until they unloaded it for us at the airport.

DSC09175-L.jpg

DSC09137-L.jpg

Thanks Lois and Sunny AZ for your input. We will definitely do the Everglades tour if my husband's friend is busy.

I was looking at local tours, but it seems that the cruise line is the way to go since they take care of your luggage and everything.

Donna

We are staying at the Embassy Suites New Year's Eve.....can anyone recommend some restaurants in the area? Nothing too fancy...just someplace good to eat and then we will bring in the new year back at the hotel. There is a Total Wine in the area, correct?

Thanks!

We are staying at the Embassy Suites New Year's Eve.....can anyone recommend some restaurants in the area? Nothing too fancy...just someplace good to eat and then we will bring in the new year back at the hotel. There is a Total Wine in the area, correct?

Thanks!

There's a Total Wine in the shopping center behind Embassy Suites. Some popular casual restaurants in the area are Southport Raw Bar, Kelly's Landing, Duffy's, Waxy O'Conners pub, Carrabas, Bravo, Quarterdeck. There are also lots of popular take-out type places with seating, like PeiWei, Chipotle, Shula Burger, Panera, Five Guys, Doughboys. Some places might be closed or close early. If Duffy's is open I'd eat there, as their food is pretty good if you want a really casual place. Waxy's might be a fun place to be if they are open.

There's a Total Wine in the shopping center behind Embassy Suites. Some popular casual restaurants in the area are Southport Raw Bar, Kelly's Landing, Duffy's, Waxy O'Conners pub, Carrabas, Bravo, Quarterdeck. There are also lots of popular take-out type places with seating, like PeiWei, Chipotle, Shula Burger, Panera, Five Guys, Doughboys. Some places might be closed or close early. If Duffy's is open I'd eat there, as their food is pretty good if you want a really casual place. Waxy's might be a fun place to be if they are open.

Looks like a great selection! Thanks!

Good afternoon all. We have booked out next cruise for next October (leaving on the 17th). We will be driving down a day or two before and would prefer a Hilton or Choice property so we can use points. We also would like a breakfast. We will park at the port (easier with a handicap person) so we don't need a shuttle. Can anyone tell me which hotels would be the best and most convenient to port?

Also, I like the idea of the Everglades tour but what else would be some options to do besides hang out on the beach? Thanks to all who assist!