Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

I read through a lot if the other thread and I didn't really see a lot on the hotels I'm considering. I have it narrowed down to the following three:

Hyatt pier 66

Renaissance

Hilton

Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels? Our budget is approximately $150.

And am I correct that all of these hotels are near restaurants? We won't be there that long so I'm not concerned with things to do, just dinner and breakfast the next morning before we head off to the port.

Stephanie

I read through a lot if the other thread and I didn't really see a lot on the hotels I'm considering. I have it narrowed down to the following three:

Hyatt pier 66

Renaissance

Hilton

And am I correct that all of these hotels are near restaurants? We won't be there that long so I'm not concerned with things to do, just dinner and breakfast the next morning before we head off to the port.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie.....I have stayed at all 3 of them over the years.

The prices can vary depending on time of year and who you book

through. Priceline/Hotwire usually has The Renaissance on their list

to get at a more resonable rate.

Yes, all 3 are near restaurants:).

Hi Stephanie.....I have stayed at all 3 of them over the years.

The prices can vary depending on time of year and who you book

through. Priceline/Hotwire usually has The Renaissance on their list

to get at a more resonable rate.

Yes, all 3 are near restaurants:).

Lois,

I priced them all out and on Trivago they range from $119 to $148 for October 24th. Out of the three, which did you like best? Was there one you just wouldn't stay at again? I know it's only one night, but we have had some bad luck in the past.

Thanks

Stephanie

Lois,

I priced them all out and on Trivago they range from $119 to $148 for October 24th. Out of the three, which did you like best? Was there one you just wouldn't stay at again? I know it's only one night, but we have had some bad luck in the past.

Thanks

Stephanie

Hi, in my opinion? I like the Renassiance location the best of them.:)

The hotel was fine........it is located in what is called "QUAY"....it

is a small shopping center with restaurants very close by.

The Hilton? I am guessing you are talking about the Hilton Marina....

I didn't like the shower.....it comes down from the ceiling AND

both doors do not close....weird....and not my choice.

Pier 66? I know ALOT of people LOVE IT.....I had a bad experience

so it has left a bad taste in my mouth from them.

Hyatt pier 66

Renaissance

Hilton

Stephanie

All of these hotels have restaurants in them but Renaissance is the closest to lots of other restaurants. Hyatt Pier66 is the furthest.

It's decision time....:confused:

Spring Hill Suites, Dania Beach

Fairfield Inn, Dania Beach

Holiday Inn Express, 17th St.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Cheryl

HIE is in the best location and has a 24 hr airport shuttle, but the other hotels might offer more (suites, cruise parking deals, etc).

Hi, in my opinion? I like the Renassiance location the best of them.:)

The hotel was fine........it is located in what is called "QUAY"....it

is a small shopping center with restaurants very close by.

The Hilton? I am guessing you are talking about the Hilton Marina....

I didn't like the shower.....it comes down from the ceiling AND

both doors do not close....weird....and not my choice.

Pier 66? I know ALOT of people LOVE IT.....I had a bad experience

so it has left a bad taste in my mouth from them.

Thank you so much. I was leaning towards the Renassiance, my husband said something about how he's always liked the Hyatt chain and never had a bad experience. But that's not true, we had a bad experience where they gave us a smoking room and swore up and down they were booked solid and couldn't give us another room. When my husband made the reservation he asked for NO SMOKING. It was disgusting, we were able to open the window but it doesn't matter. I also left my Apple charger in the bathroom, I realized about 10 minutes after we had left. I called the front desk and they had the maid check. The maid said there was no charger.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback.

Stephanie

HIE is in the best location and has a 24 hr airport shuttle, but the other hotels might offer more (suites, cruise parking deals, etc).

We are driving down, so the park and cruise package is what we're looking at for our 9 night cruise.

HIE is the most expensive by $40+. We'll have a car, so we can get ourselves around for dinner the night before the cruise.

Thanks!

Cheryl

We are driving down, so the park and cruise package is what we're looking at for our 9 night cruise.

HIE is the most expensive by $40+. We'll have a car, so we can get ourselves around for dinner the night before the cruise.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Parkingstay.com is a good place to start your search. If price is the most important feature, the Rodeway Inn is an option, but read reviews on tripadvisor to see if it sounds ok for you...it's far from perfect but some people really like it there.

We are staying 1 night pre-cruise in/on Fort Lauderdale Beach downtown area..... what are your thoughts of taxi fares for group of 6? Thanks in advance :)

That all depends on where exactly your hotel is. It will cost between $10 and $35 per taxi to the port. You could call Yellow Cab and see if a taxi van is available.

I haven't seen anything recent, so I was hoping for some more current opinions. I am booked for my mom and I at the La Quinta in Hollywood for June. The rate isn't great, but we are cruising from Port Everglades on Independence so will only be there one night. Has anyone been there recently? The reviews seem very mixed for the past few months. Mostly, I want a place we can relax and hang out by the pool for the day, and that offered shuttles so I don't have to worry about a car.

Also-how much would a taxi be to Primo Hoagies? :D I used to live in Philly and miss them like crazy, so the idea there is one in town seems worth a trip.

I would consider switching hotels- are there any in the $100-$150 range close to the port where we might see the ship? The cruise is a surprise.

Finally- where can we find out what terminal the ship is leaving from? All the old links I have found don't lead anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

Megan

I haven't seen anything recent, so I was hoping for some more current opinions. I am booked for my mom and I at the La Quinta in Hollywood for June. The rate isn't great, but we are cruising from Port Everglades on Independence so will only be there one night. Has anyone been there recently? The reviews seem very mixed for the past few months. Mostly, I want a place we can relax and hang out by the pool for the day, and that offered shuttles so I don't have to worry about a car.

Also-how much would a taxi be to Primo Hoagies? :D I used to live in Philly and miss them like crazy, so the idea there is one in town seems worth a trip.

I would consider switching hotels- are there any in the $100-$150 range close to the port where we might see the ship? The cruise is a surprise.

Finally- where can we find out what terminal the ship is leaving from? All the old links I have found don't lead anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

Megan

LaQuinta is in Hollywood, about 9 miles from Primo, in Ft Lauderdale. Is there one in Hollywood? Taxi would cost about $30 each way. If you stay at Riverside hotel or downtown Hampton Inn you could walk there. If you book Hyatt Place through ValueTrips it will be in your price range in May 2015....you can walk from there to the bridge to see the port.

LaQuinta is in Hollywood, about 9 miles from Primo, in Ft Lauderdale. Is there one in Hollywood? Taxi would cost about $30 each way. If you stay at Riverside hotel or downtown Hampton Inn you could walk there. If you book Hyatt Place through ValueTrips it will be in your price range in May 2015....you can walk from there to the bridge to see the port.

I've been looking at the Riverside hotel- is it nice? The prices seem almost too reasonable for downtown, if that makes sense. What would taxi costs be to the port from there, and from the airport to there? Are there any good restaurants nearby? The help is so fantastic! It is so hard to book a hotel in a place you've never been! :o

I've been looking at the Riverside hotel- is it nice? The prices seem almost too reasonable for downtown, if that makes sense. What would taxi costs be to the port from there, and from the airport to there? Are there any good restaurants nearby? The help is so fantastic! It is so hard to book a hotel in a place you've never been! :o

Is the Riverside nice?:D YES, YES, and YES:D and are restaurants

nearby? YES.....only about a dozen of them;) (if not more) ALL within

walking distance:D.....

If you are getting a good price with them? BOOK IT!:)

Is the Riverside nice?:D YES, YES, and YES:D and are restaurants

nearby? YES.....only about a dozen of them;) (if not more) ALL within

walking distance:D.....

If you are getting a good price with them? BOOK IT!:)

You won me over! I booked a tower room and I am thrilled! Now, I just have to wait until June...AUGHHHHHHHHH!

Even with taxi fare the cost will be about the same as the La Quinta, and it looks like there is a lot more to do in the area.

One more question- I would like to find a place close by that I could get my mom a massage the day before we embark-any suggestions? I would prefer reasonable, but I am going all out on this trip!

Megan

OMG! SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the LaQuinta Hollywood!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many good restaurants around there, just take your pick(let me know what you like i.e. cuisine and style and price range, and I can make recommendations)! Each of your taxi rides will be about $20. Oddly enough there are very few massage spas in that area and I haven't tried any. Maybe the hotel concierge can arrange a massage in your room or in the neighborhood.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi,

6 of us will be staying at the Gallery one hotel after our cruise for 1 night.

Do you think we will need to rent a car? If not does the area have plenty of things to do and local transportations to get you there? Should I book a different hotel?

Thanks

OMG! SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the LaQuinta Hollywood!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many good restaurants around there, just take your pick(let me know what you like i.e. cuisine and style and price range, and I can make recommendations)! Each of your taxi rides will be about $20. Oddly enough there are very few massage spas in that area and I haven't tried any. Maybe the hotel concierge can arrange a massage in your room or in the neighborhood.

Yay! Affirmation! :) I find it crazy I will actually be paying less for a hotel everyone says is much nicer! I did go ahead and go for a tower room- the regular rooms didn't get nearly as good a rating. I do like the idea that the water taxi is right nearby and that they have (apparently) a very nice pool. I know we will end up taking a red eye and will get in early (it is just the easier way to fly from Washington to Florida). So we should have a full day to either lounge by the pool or explore. I love French food, and Mexican/Cuban, but my mom loves classic American (burgers, steaks), and she LOVES Eggs Benedict. I also really like Pastalitos- we can't really get those here!

Megan

Hi,

6 of us will be staying at the Gallery one hotel after our cruise for 1 night.

Do you think we will need to rent a car? If not does the area have plenty of things to do and local transportations to get you there? Should I book a different hotel?

Thanks

You won't need a car there for one night. There is an indoor mall a block away and there are restaurants there and in the area within walking distance. The beach is a few blocks away too. If you want to go down to the main beach area, it's about 2 miles and you can get there by SunTrolley or by bus 40. If you have time for another boat ride, there is a water taxi stop at the hotel.

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two hotels--both are recommended by many people on this forum. Any thoughts about which is best? I read a few reviews that Hyatt Place has limited space in their breakfast buffet area and that Embassy Suites is undergoing renovations but people like the evening reception and breakfast I lean towards Embassy Suites as we are Hilton Honors members, but rooms look really nice at the Hyatt and they have a complimentary shuttle from the airport. Currently Embassy Suites is $16 more expensive for a comparable room Any thoughts or recommendations from those of you who have stayed either place.

You won me over! I booked a tower room and I am thrilled! Now, I just have to wait until June...AUGHHHHHHHHH!

Even with taxi fare the cost will be about the same as the La Quinta, and it looks like there is a lot more to do in the area.

One more question- I would like to find a place close by that I could get my mom a massage the day before we embark-any suggestions? I would prefer reasonable, but I am going all out on this trip!

Megan

Hi Megan:) Sharon is our FLL expert:D but I have stayed at the

Riverside before and it is wonderful and Las Olas Blvd is awesome too.

Stroll up and down the Blvd and most of the restaurants have menus

in the window so you can see the offerings/prices/etc......:)

Yay! Affirmation! :) I find it crazy I will actually be paying less for a hotel everyone says is much nicer! I did go ahead and go for a tower room- the regular rooms didn't get nearly as good a rating. I do like the idea that the water taxi is right nearby and that they have (apparently) a very nice pool. I know we will end up taking a red eye and will get in early (it is just the easier way to fly from Washington to Florida). So we should have a full day to either lounge by the pool or explore. I love French food, and Mexican/Cuban, but my mom loves classic American (burgers, steaks), and she LOVES Eggs Benedict. I also really like Pastalitos- we can't really get those here!

Megan

French: Le Bonne Crepe or Cafe de Paris

Mexican: Rocco's Tacos (warning: it's loud and crowded and you should make reservations; almost a mile away but it's a pleasant walk)

Cuban and Pastalitos: none in the neighborhood

American: Big City Tavern, Mangos, Cheesecake Factory

Eggs Benedict: Cheesecake Factory, Le Bonne Crepe

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two hotels--both are recommended by many people on this forum. Any thoughts about which is best? I read a few reviews that Hyatt Place has limited space in their breakfast buffet area and that Embassy Suites is undergoing renovations but people like the evening reception and breakfast I lean towards Embassy Suites as we are Hilton Honors members, but rooms look really nice at the Hyatt and they have a complimentary shuttle from the airport. Currently Embassy Suites is $16 more expensive for a comparable room Any thoughts or recommendations from those of you who have stayed either place.

My gut says ES is better because it's better located, is grander, and has a nicer pool area. It will cost you at least $30 more than HP because of the price difference and transportation though.

Edited by royalcruz