Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Can anyone tell me if my return flight is too tight?

I will be disembarking the Allure on Sunday, december 7, 6:15am

The flight I have in mind will leave by 8:20am at Fort Lauderdale airport

Thanks for the feedback

Way too tight. You will have to self disembark for any chance and even then it's no more than 50-50. Book something after 10 and self disembark to be safe. Or book something after 11 and use regular disembarkation (you can always exchange your luggage tags for an earlier time if you bring your airline confirmation to guest relations).

We are a party of 6, 4 adults and 2 children flying in on 1/9/15 for a cruise on 1/10/15. Tonight I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites on State Road in Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone provide any pro's or con's for this hotel? Picked this one because it fits all of us in one room and it provides shuttle service to the port. Yea or Nay?

We are a party of 6, 4 adults and 2 children flying in on 1/9/15 for a cruise on 1/10/15. Tonight I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites on State Road in Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone provide any pro's or con's for this hotel? Picked this one because it fits all of us in one room and it provides shuttle service to the port. Yea or Nay?

The location is fine for one night. There's a shopping center a block east where you can get some food and wine. Most of the restaurants in the area are takeout and fast food but there is a sports bar/grill and German restaurant. If you don't feel like waiting for shuttles, taxis are inexpensive from airport and to port because it's very close to both.

Edited by royalcruz

We stayed right across the alley from HI at the Spring Hill Suites. A huge shopping center was across the street with a Carolina Ale House, KMart, etc. it was fine. The taxi from the port back to the hotel to collect our car was $20.

We stayed right across the alley from HI at the Spring Hill Suites. A huge shopping center was across the street with a Carolina Ale House, KMart, etc. it was fine. The taxi from the port back to the hotel to collect our car was $20.

The Holiday Inn Express where Medicmel is staying is on State Rd 84 in Ft Lauderdale, which is a different area from Springhill Suites.

Finally booked my first solo cruise -- 12/11-22/2014 on NCL Pearl out of Miami. Questions???

Flying Southwest into Ft. Lauderdale as nonstop and good rates and no luggage fees.

Undecided -- should I stay in FLL or get shuttle and go to Miami hotel? In FLL -- Considering Sleep Inn Airport, Cambria Inn airport, Holiday Inn Exp. airport West or South due to rates found on LMT -- opinions please.

In Miami -- considering Cambria airport Blue Lagoon, Hol. Inn Exp. & Suites or Hol. Inn Exp. airport Doral area from LMT.

Which shuttle service --- SAS, QLS or (forgot name -- something with Express Tranp. in name)????

Greatly appreciate all of your help. Thanks in advance.

We just stayed at the Embassy Suites. Had a rate of a total if $115 through TravelPony. It included a full breakfast and a managers get together with snacks and free drinks in the evening. Close to everything. They charge $8 a person for shuttle from airport. This thread does tell about ways to get to Miami.

Finally booked my first solo cruise -- 12/11-22/2014 on NCL Pearl out of Miami. Questions???

Flying Southwest into Ft. Lauderdale as nonstop and good rates and no luggage fees.

Undecided -- should I stay in FLL or get shuttle and go to Miami hotel? In FLL -- Considering Sleep Inn Airport, Cambria Inn airport, Holiday Inn Exp. airport West or South due to rates found on LMT -- opinions please.

In Miami -- considering Cambria airport Blue Lagoon, Hol. Inn Exp. & Suites or Hol. Inn Exp. airport Doral area from LMT.

Which shuttle service --- SAS, QLS or (forgot name -- something with Express Tranp. in name)????

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The most reasonable way is usually to stay in Ft Lauderdale and shuttle to Port Miami in the morning. SAS lists the hotels that they service on their website. Sleep Inn is on the list and is convenient, as it is adjacent to a few restaurants and Walgreens. Holiday Inn Dania is on the list and is brand new. Cambria is on the list and gets good reviews.

We are going on the Oasis August 2015. I would some information on hotels to stay for one night before the cruise,

Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place Convention Center (book on Valuetrips), and Renaissance are very popular with cruisers as they are just outside of the port. Just read this thread for a few pages and you'll get lots of ideas. Hotel rates are great in August, so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting something nice.

Edited by royalcruz

My DW and I are arriving in FLL early afternoon on a Saturday and we are interested in watching the "ship parade" as the ships leave that day. We are booked at a hotel on 17th Street. Is there a way of accessing the beach that the ships go past? If not, where else would be good to watch?

Sharon -- thanks for your help. Is the new Hol.Inn Exp. West or South -- the one in Dania? Also, hate to bug you -- but which hotel would you choose for yourself if alone?

Jean

Sundowner, The brand new HIE is south of FLL. I personally wouldn't stay there because I find US1 in Dania to be really seedy. If I was traveling alone, I'd stay at Cambria because it's the prettiest, but I wouldn't venture out because it's off the beaten track (I'd order a pizza and relax in my room). You can walk to Las Vegas Cuban restaurant for dinner or to Oakwood Plaza but I don't think it's the safest thing to do alone after dark. I might stay at Sleep Inn because Poncho's Backyard Mexican restaurant next door is good, and I could walk over to Walgreen's to pick up a few things. Bear in mind that I am cautious/self-protective and I'm used to living in a low-crime neighborhood with a burglar alarm service.

Edited by royalcruz

My DW and I are arriving in FLL early afternoon on a Saturday and we are interested in watching the "ship parade" as the ships leave that day. We are booked at a hotel on 17th Street. Is there a way of accessing the beach that the ships go past? If not, where else would be good to watch?

Ride over to the South Beach Park (2-3 miles), and then walk south on the beach about a mile. It's a pretty hard walk if you aren't used to walking on the beach, and remember that you'll have to walk back too.

Sharon --- Thanks again for your wonderful help. Like you I am very cautious and would not be out walking by myself after dark -- too dangerous. I was taught to pay attention to my surroundings and I do my best.

I will probably choose Sleep Inn and try that resturant well before dark.

New kink ----- mother and daughter on roll call are staying at Best Western on Sterling Road and asked me to join them. Before I committed would need to find out for dinner or just SAS shuttle to POM.

BW does not get great reviews but then you can't always trust all the

reviews. Rate is $16 higher than Sleep Inn which could go toward dinner, but making new friends would be great.

I truly hate to bug you but what do you think of the BW??

Promise no more questions.

Jean

Sharon --- Thanks again for your wonderful help. Like you I am very cautious and would not be out walking by myself after dark -- too dangerous. I was taught to pay attention to my surroundings and I do my best.

I will probably choose Sleep Inn and try that resturant well before dark.

New kink ----- mother and daughter on roll call are staying at Best Western on Sterling Road and asked me to join them. Before I committed would need to find out for dinner or just SAS shuttle to POM.

BW does not get great reviews but then you can't always trust all the

reviews. Rate is $16 higher than Sleep Inn which could go toward dinner, but making new friends would be great.

I truly hate to bug you but what do you think of the BW??

Promise no more questions.

Jean

Both the Best Western and Sleep Inn get mixed reviews, so I don't know which is better or worse. If this mother and daughter would like to join you, the 3 of you can walk over to Las Vegas Cuban for a good dinner (very reasonably priced and the closest restaurant, but you have to cross Stirling Rd.). But then, you'd be staying there just because someone you've never met suggested meeting up...I hope she comes through for you. If you stay at Sleep Inn, to get to the restaurants, just cross the side street next to the hotel and you'll find a small strip center with Mexican, Pizza, and Chinese food. So it's all very safe...I'd even walk it in the dark alone. SAS serves both hotels.

We are staying in the gallery one double tree for 3 nights, going in 10 days time, could you tell me if I'm close enough to walk to harbour shops. I would like to pick up some vodka and rum for our hotel room, or if it's to far could you tell us the nearest place an how to get there, and also any nice resonable places to eat near to the hotel, Thankyou :)

Can anyone possibly give me accurate information as to which rental car companies participate in the shuttles from the airport to the port and vice versa? It appear many of the companies now have separate facilities with their own shuttles. Thanks:confused:

We are staying in the gallery one double tree for 3 nights, going in 10 days time, could you tell me if I'm close enough to walk to harbour shops. I would like to pick up some vodka and rum for our hotel room, or if it's to far could you tell us the nearest place an how to get there, and also any nice resonable places to eat near to the hotel, Thankyou :)

Hi,:) nope,:eek: The Doubletree is near the Galleria and that is quite a bit

north of the Harbour Shops.....no way would I walk it.......if you want

to go to the Harbour Shops? My best suggestion would be to take a cab.

There is a liquor store called The Hut on Seminole Dr just across Sunrise Blvd from the hotel. If you still want to go to the Harbor Shops, you can hop on the Suntrolley in front of the Galleria Mall or just wave it down going east on Sunrise; it will go to Harbor Shops then turn around and go back to Galleria. It about a 4 mile ride and it costs $1 or so per ride.

Nice reasonable places to eat are Seasons 52, PF Changs, and Jade Palace. There is also La Cantina and Franco & Vinny's just over the bridge but I haven't eaten there so I can't recommend. There is also Truluck and Texas de Brazil but those are more expensive. Burger Fi is inexpensive but no table service.

Can anyone possibly give me accurate information as to which rental car companies participate in the shuttles from the airport to the port and vice versa? It appear many of the companies now have separate facilities with their own shuttles. Thanks:confused:

The last I heard it was just Alamo and National but you should call the local phone numbers to confirm. Also, I think you can rent from Budget at FLL then drop off near the port on SE 17th St for free shuttle.

So my Dad and I are cruising on Princess out of FLL. My dad is driving down a few days earlier and I am flying in the day of the cruise (Nov 9th). My Dad needs a hotel that will allow parking for the duration of our cruise (11 nights) and I will need a shuttle service that goes to the hotel. Then we both need a shuttle service from the hotel to the port.

So, my question is, what hotels offer shuttle service to/from FLL Airport and to/from the Cruise terminal AND offers parking?