Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Hello!!

We will be sailing on the Carnival Freedom Jan 4-10. We Dad will be dropping us off and picking us up as well. (thank you Papa!!) I therefore have a few questions for you:

- I would assume the drop off is fairly simple and that there are indications as to what ship is leaving from what pier once you drive in? Is there a particular port area entrance that works better than the other?

- For the post cruise pick up, what is the best plan? The Port Everglades website suggest that people park at 1850 Eller in the cell phone lot. Would I therefore ask my dad to park there and wait for us to call him to say we are off the ship, and he could then drive to the debarking pier to pick us up?

Any info would be muchly appreciated!

Good afternoon all. We have booked out next cruise for next October (leaving on the 17th). We will be driving down a day or two before and would prefer a Hilton or Choice property so we can use points. We also would like a breakfast. We will park at the port (easier with a handicap person) so we don't need a shuttle. Can anyone tell me which hotels would be the best and most convenient to port?

Also, I like the idea of the Everglades tour but what else would be some options to do besides hang out on the beach? Thanks to all who assist!

The most convenient Hilton/Choice hotels to the port that include breakfast:

Embassy Suites (nicest AND closest to port)

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Hotel

Comfort Suites Airport Cruiseport

There is also Hilton Marina, which is nice but breakfast is not included...plenty of breakfast places nearby though (Denny's, Einsteins, Joe's Cafe)

Hilton and Embassy Suites might charge a parking fee.

A nice area to hang out in Fort Lauderdale is downtown on Las Olas Blvd, unless you have mobility issues.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello!!

We will be sailing on the Carnival Freedom Jan 4-10. We Dad will be dropping us off and picking us up as well. (thank you Papa!!) I therefore have a few questions for you:

- I would assume the drop off is fairly simple and that there are indications as to what ship is leaving from what pier once you drive in? Is there a particular port area entrance that works better than the other?

- For the post cruise pick up, what is the best plan? The Port Everglades website suggest that people park at 1850 Eller in the cell phone lot. Would I therefore ask my dad to park there and wait for us to call him to say we are off the ship, and he could then drive to the debarking pier to pick us up?

Any info would be muchly appreciated!

Drop off is easy. Use the entrance closest to where you are coming from, as they all lead to all terminals. I come from US1 north of there, and use the entrance on Eisenhower. If I was coming from the interstates, I'd use the entrance at the end of I595. You will ALL need photo ID to enter the port.

Yes, for pickup, ask your dad to wait in the cell phone lot. Do not ask him to come until you are through customs, as those lines can take a while and he can't wait at the curb for you. If he lives within 20 minutes, call him when you are ready to walk off the ship and tell him to leave for the port (it takes about 10 minutes for him to drive through security and to the terminals and it takes about 30 minutes for you to walk off the ship, get luggage, go through customs, and get to the pickup area). Dad will need to show photo ID to get into the port.

Hi there

We are looking for some parking at Port Everglades...

Has anyone ever parked with 'simple airport parking' they are offering cruise parking at us1 parking.

I have also found Park N Go, but it is slightly more expensive - does anyone have any recommendations for parking near the cruise port.

Hi.

We are cruising in March and have stayed at various hotels on 17th street pre-cruise over the years, but are considering staying closer to the beach this time for a change. Any suggestions for something nice close to the beach, at the price of the 17th street hotels?

Considering we'd like to pick up wine and water, is it inconvenient to stay in the beach area pre-cruise?

Also, in everyone's experience, which of the discount online sites are most successful at getting the best hotel rate.... for the hotel of your choice?

Thanks in advance!

Dee :o

Hi.

We are cruising in March and have stayed at various hotels on 17th street pre-cruise over the years, but are considering staying closer to the beach this time for a change. Any suggestions for something nice close to the beach, at the price of the 17th street hotels?

Considering we'd like to pick up wine and water, is it inconvenient to stay in the beach area pre-cruise?

Also, in everyone's experience, which of the discount online sites are most successful at getting the best hotel rate.... for the hotel of your choice?

Thanks in advance!

Dee :o

There is a CVS at the beach that sells wine and water but the hotels very closeby are expensive so it would not be convenient to carry water. Some of the decent moderately priced hotels are Courtyard, Bahia Mar, Sheraton, Westin, Best Western Oceanside, Alhambra Resort, Hilton, Sonesta. People have reported getting good prices on hiltonfamilymvp and lmt.

The most convenient Hilton/Choice hotels to the port that include breakfast:

Embassy Suites (nicest AND closest to port)

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Hotel

Comfort Suites Airport Cruiseport

There is also Hilton Marina, which is nice but breakfast is not included...plenty of breakfast places nearby though (Denny's, Einsteins, Joe's Cafe)

Hilton and Embassy Suites might charge a parking fee.

A nice area to hang out in Fort Lauderdale is downtown on Las Olas Blvd, unless you have mobility issues.

When you say mobility issues, does that mean if you have a wheelchair it won't work on Las Olas Blvd? My mom has MS and sometimes she has to use her wheelchair or a walker depending on how she is feeling. Will it be a real issue for her or will it work if she can get in and out of her chair?

Thanks for the info. Embassy Suites is what I was thinking. Which is the one close to the port?

When you say mobility issues, does that mean if you have a wheelchair it won't work on Las Olas Blvd? My mom has MS and sometimes she has to use her wheelchair or a walker depending on how she is feeling. Will it be a real issue for her or will it work if she can get in and out of her chair?

Thanks for the info. Embassy Suites is what I was thinking. Which is the one close to the port?

What I mean is that the boulevard district is about a mile long. She'll be ok taking a stroll with you in her wheelchair but might have some difficulty in some of the boutiques.

Hi,

I just booked a cruise out of FLL yesterday (which sails in 2 weeks) and I know nothing about the area.

I will be flying in 2 nights before the cruise, and I do not plan to rent a car. I will need to get back and forth to the port 2x in 2 days, so I'd like to stay somewhere relatively close so I don't get killed in cab fares. Or preferably at a place that has a free shuttle to the port.

However, since I will be staying for 2 days prior to the cruise, I would also like to be in a place that is either on the beach or has a nice pool, and somewhere that is close enough to shops and restaurants that I can walk around safely (I'm a woman travelling solo). I don't want to break the bank though.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I just booked a cruise out of FLL yesterday (which sails in 2 weeks) and I know nothing about the area.

I will be flying in 2 nights before the cruise, and I do not plan to rent a car. I will need to get back and forth to the port 2x in 2 days, so I'd like to stay somewhere relatively close so I don't get killed in cab fares. Or preferably at a place that has a free shuttle to the port.

However, since I will be staying for 2 days prior to the cruise, I would also like to be in a place that is either on the beach or has a nice pool, and somewhere that is close enough to shops and restaurants that I can walk around safely (I'm a woman travelling solo). I don't want to break the bank though.

Thanks!

What are your dates and what is your budget? I hope you aren't in FLL during the International Boat Show (Oct 30 - Nov 3). Hotels will be really expensive - if you can find a room at this late date.

Hi,

Thanks!

Embassy Suites or Renaissance are by the port and have nice pools and are in walking distance to lots of places. Courtyard across from the beach is not expensive and is a very easy walk to places and close to the port. The kinds of hotels that you want don't have free shuttles to the port.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi:) I sail solo all the time and I agree with Royal Cruz....and also

right near Embassy Suites is a Hyatt Place. They are very, very close

to many restaurants (walking distance). I have stayed at Renassiance

and Hyatt Place before. They are not "beach hotels" so if that is

requirement? You would have to look elsewhere.......Ft. Lauderdale/

Hollywood have ALOT of beach hotels......not sure if you have used

the search feature on here but type in "Ft. Lauderdale Beach hotels" and

see what pops up. I also recommend using Trip Advisor.

Hope you have a great cruise:D

We took a cab from embassy to the Port and it was $6.10 plus tip. Took a cab from the port to Extended stay to visit friends and it was $5.50 but had a minimum of $10 so people need to be careful about that. Didn't see the sign on the cab until too late. Is this all cabs? Not much difference than it would have been after tip.. Hope he didn't expect a tip as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by DMRick

We took a cab from embassy to the Port and it was $6.10 plus tip. Took a cab from the port to Extended stay to visit friends and it was $5.50 but had a minimum of $10 so people need to be careful about that. Didn't see the sign on the cab until too late. Is this all cabs? Not much difference than it would have been after tip.. Hope he didn't expect a tip as well.

People have consistantly reported here that there is a $10 minimum when going to/from the port, but not sure why.

People have consistantly reported here that there is a $10 minimum when going to/from the port, but not sure why.

I think I had read that and someone said to insist on paying the meter amount but there is a notice on the cab and I wouldn't want my vacation to end on an argument.

Could have something to do with the time cabs have to wait in line at the pier for a new fare?

Personally, I would always pay the driver at least $10, even for a short haul, because I likely caused him/her to miss a better fare route (like to the airport) to take me a short distance. But then again, thats just me.

DaveOKC

Could have something to do with the time cabs have to wait in line at the pier for a new fare?

Personally, I would always pay the driver at least $10, even for a short haul, because I likely caused him/her to miss a better fare route (like to the airport) to take me a short distance. But then again, thats just me.

DaveOKC

We did give ten on the way there as we shared with another couple but it wasn't required. The short hauls prob do pretty good as he could be back in line in ten minutes.

I have read through most posts on this thread but do not see information I need which is the cost to get from Port Everglades where we will disembark from the Allure to MIA. I called Top Shuttle Services and they charge $95 for 2 people (plus tip of course).

Any other options better than that? Metro Shuttle will provide a private van for $85 since they do not run their shuttle on Sundays.

If you are so inclined, bargain with the cab driver before leaving the peir.

I did that once from POM to Hollywood Tri rail station.

Meter would have been $70.

The cheapskate in me paid $50.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just take a cab to the Miami Tri Rail and then take the Tri Rail to Hollywood? Cab would have been $25 and Tri Rail is about $3?

Edited by mississauga

I have read through most posts on this thread but do not see information I need which is the cost to get from Port Everglades where we will disembark from the Allure to MIA. I called Top Shuttle Services and they charge $95 for 2 people (plus tip of course).

Any other options better than that? Metro Shuttle will provide a private van for $85 since they do not run their shuttle on Sundays.

The few shuttles that go to MIA seem to charge at least as much as taxis. I would just use a taxi. You might be able to find private Towne Car transportation for about the same price if you don't like taxis. Or use Uber.

Can anyone tell me if my return flight is too tight?

I will be disembarking the Allure on Sunday, december 7, 6:15am

The flight I have in mind will leave by 8:20am at Fort Lauderdale airport

Thanks for the feedback

Edited by ljsb

Can anyone tell me if my return flight is too tight?

I will be disembarking the Allure on Sunday, december 7, 6:15am

The flight I have in mind will leave by 8:20am at Fort Lauderdale airport

Thanks for the feedback

Way too tight IMO. Doubt you will be off the ship at 6:15.

DaveOKC