Cost from port to Rome and back?

b_cruise

My daughter and I were talking today and decided instead of taking the train, maybe we should get transport. I usually book a tour through italytoursharing but this time we just want to walk around on our own.

I was just wondering if anyone has just got transport there and back and the approx. cost?

I may post on my roll call and see if I can get a few of us interested even though I am aware it will be a lot more than the train.

My daughter and I were talking today and decided instead of taking the train, maybe we should get transport. I usually book a tour through italytoursharing but this time we just want to walk around on our own.

I was just wondering if anyone has just got transport there and back and the approx. cost?

I may post on my roll call and see if I can get a few of us interested even though I am aware it will be a lot more than the train.

Depends how many people you can get together.

If you have two people, one way (port to Rome or vice versa) ranges from 90 euro (shared shuttle) to around 130 euro for private transport. Perhaps you can get a slightly better price if you are doing a round trip....

Just out of curiosity and not to discouage you from your plans, what is your objection to the train. It's fairly quick and cheap. From what I read, perhaps the biggest objection is getting from the actual location of the ship in port to the city gates with the inherent long lines waiting for the shuttle buses. That seems to me to be an arrangement between the cruise lines and the port authorities not to make it too convenient for people to take the train into Rome (being the cynical person I am). Like I said, just curious.

I want to tell ya but people will think I'm crazy... Lol... Maybe I am haha

You don't have to give your reasons...

But I will say for anyone who is thinking about it, that the train is a) very inexpensive, b) pretty straightforward when you're 'on the ground' even though it might sound a little complicated when you read through how to do it, and c) often enables you to spend more time in Rome than the ship's 'on your own' transfers because you can catch an earlier train.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with mobility issues or perhaps with young children -- but for anyone else, it's worth considering....

But I will say for anyone who is thinking about it, that the train is a) very inexpensive, b) pretty straightforward when you're 'on the ground' even though it might sound a little complicated when you read through how to do it, and c) often enables you to spend more time in Rome than the ship's 'on your own' transfers because you can catch an earlier train.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with mobility issues or perhaps with young children -- but for anyone else, it's worth considering....

The train also is problematic for the fact that it leaves you on the outskirts of "il centro" and antiquities. Real time killer getting to and from the train.

Speaking of antiquities, recent increases in anti-terrorism security measures across Rome and the Vatican have significantly increased waiting times (primarily for DIY tourists) at most major sites.

The train also is problematic for the fact that it leaves you on the outskirts of "il centro" and antiquities. Real time killer getting to and from the train.

Only if you don't take the time to learn the most efficient route to where you are going. If you blindly go to Termini and start from there you will waste time but a little prior research will show you faster ways to get where you are going.

Speaking of antiquities, recent increases in anti-terrorism security measures across Rome and the Vatican have significantly increased waiting times (primarily for DIY tourists) at most major sites.
Nice try, but it's not true that DIY tourists wait longer. Anyone can make a reservation in advance directly with the Vatican Museums and skip the line the same way a tour group or a private guide does. The only folks that get in faster are those who pay the bigger bucks for the before or after hours tours.

Really, there are plenty of good reasons for cruise passengers to consider private tours, you don't need to make things up to push the case.

Only if you don't take the time to learn the most efficient route to where you are going. If you blindly go to Termini and start from there you will waste time but a little prior research will show you faster ways to get where you are going.

Nice try, but it's not true that DIY tourists wait longer. Anyone can make a reservation in advance directly with the Vatican Museums and skip the line the same way a tour group or a private guide does. The only folks that get in faster are those who pay the bigger bucks for the before or after hours tours.

Really, there are plenty of good reasons for cruise passengers to consider private tours, you don't need to make things up to push the case.

No one is making things up. This past summer, at both the Colosseum and the Vatican Museum, extra (shorter) security lines were in effect for groups of more than 8-10 with a licensed guide. Individual guided couples and smaller groups were sent to the regular security line with the DIYs. Note that I am not talking about the entry lines. I am talking about the newly added SECURITY lines which were beefed up earlier this year.

Bottom line is much slower going for cruise ship one day visitors, particularly those negotiating public transport.

Best bang for the buck is to carefully research hotels, do pre/post cruise Rome visit and use hotel concierge to arrange driver (including port/airport transfers)+licensed guide package, which will most likely cost less than organized group tour company. I know because we've done it.

No one is making things up. This past summer, at both the Colosseum and the Vatican Museum, extra (shorter) security lines were in effect for groups of more than 8-10 with a licensed guide. Individual guided couples and smaller groups were sent to the regular security line with the DIYs. Note that I am not talking about the entry lines. I am talking about the newly added SECURITY lines which were beefed up earlier this year.

Bottom line is much slower going for cruise ship one day visitors, particularly those negotiating public transport.

Best bang for the buck is to carefully research hotels, do pre/post cruise Rome visit and use hotel concierge to arrange driver (including port/airport transfers)+licensed guide package, which will most likely cost less than organized group tour company. I know because we've done it.

Note that the original poster is considering a private transfer of 2 (or perhaps a few more) versus train on a port day. The things you mention regarding security lines and staying in Rome really wouldn't pertain to them.

I personally find any form of wheeled transportation in the Centro Storico to be painfully slow. I have walked briskly past snarled traffic many a time and have beaten buses to my destination on foot....:rolleyes: A private driver can only go as fast as traffic will allow.

Using a combination of the train + metro or tram will oftentimes get you places pretty quickly. Will it be QUITE as quick as a private transfer from Civi? No. But it will also be a lot less expensive.

Thanks everyone for all the answers and even the debate. I have used the train before and I have used italytoursharing.com ( awesome by the way) before but this time I may just get transport. I would definitely consider the train again but to tell u the truth I'm just a bit nervous with stuff going on ( I know I'm paranoids) but that's my crazy reason, lol... After researching pricing, I just may live on the edge and take the train...haha..ill see how I'm feeling closer to the cruise unless I can get a van full.

"Bang for the buck" is a value judgement, not an absolute fact. It's great that you've found what works for you but your value system isn't necessarily everyone's; others can reasonably line up the same set of facts, options, and risks and come to different conclusions. There is no hard and fast right or wrong that applies to everyone. (Which is a very good thing, as it would be a pretty boring world if we all thought and acted the same way.)

Thanks everyone for all the answers and even the debate. I have used the train before and I have used italytoursharing.com ( awesome by the way) before but this time I may just get transport. I would definitely consider the train again but to tell u the truth I'm just a bit nervous with stuff going on ( I know I'm paranoids) but that's my crazy reason, lol... After researching pricing, I just may live on the edge and take the train...haha..ill see how I'm feeling closer to the cruise unless I can get a van full.

Well, whatever you decide, do keep things in perspective: Think of the folks who ride those Regionale trains from Civitavecchia into Rome every single day to work. I don't imagine that they are worrying about any sort of "stuff" going on any more than I worry about it affecting me on my normal daily commute.

Or maybe another way to look at it -- of all the many trains that go to Rome, twice per hour, every day of every week, what are the chances that something would happen on your specific visit date, on your specific route and on your specific train...???

Yah exactly... I know this and I still am being paranoid but one thing for sure, I won't stop travelling. I think u have more of a chance of getting hit by lightning. I'm sure it is just all the news right now. It's got everyone nervous.

Read the last few posts with interest…… and perhaps I would have agreed a bit more wholeheartedly with Cruisemom IF I hadn't been on a train in France just days before the attack last summer. While I wasnt on THE train it could have just as easily been MY train. Just my daughter and I traveling (with a tour group) but still a bit unnerving to say the least.

I have always been one with the philosophy that I would not let the situation that we are faced with now stop me from traveling. And it won't. But it will alter a bit HOW I do it.

We were in Athens just a bit after the BIG demonstrations in Syntagma Square…. we altered our plans by using the ship "on your own" tour to get in town and back to the ship. ( we had used the metro before so knew how to do it) It cut our time down but we didn't know if the public transport would be striking or what.

We were in Istanbul last spring…… we took the tram in our first day and while there were crowds galore (a local holiday) we enjoyed the main things we wanted our kids to see (this was our 3rd trip there). But on the second day (we overnighted) we stayed on the ship due to some other issues (not violent) that could have caused serious problems getting back on time.

Egypt we did with a tour (15 days) and while visiting all the major sites we had an armed guard with us as well as a machine gun on the back of the Nile cruise ship while on the 7 days up and back trip. We did not go alone into towns but rather our awesome guide accommodated us by taking us in even when not on a tour. He knew everyone, everyone knew him and he was careful to take us where HE felt we were safe. It was an amazing trip and we are still friends with him on FB.

I think everyone has their comfort zone. Some will chose to stay home, some will travel carefree (come what may attitude) and others will still travel but perhaps in a slightly different way to feel comfortable. It really is a personal choice and sometimes "comfort" is more important than "cost".

"I think everyone has their comfort zone. Some will chose to stay home, some will travel carefree (come what may attitude) and others will still travel but perhaps in a slightly different way to feel comfortable. It really is a personal choice and sometimes "comfort" is more important than "cost"."

Well stated texancruise!!

Read the last few posts with interest…… and perhaps I would have agreed a bit more wholeheartedly with Cruisemom IF I hadn't been on a train in France just days before the attack last summer. While I wasnt on THE train it could have just as easily been MY train. Just my daughter and I traveling (with a tour group) but still a bit unnerving to say the least.

I have always been one with the philosophy that I would not let the situation that we are faced with now stop me from traveling. And it won't. But it will alter a bit HOW I do it.

We were in Athens just a bit after the BIG demonstrations in Syntagma Square…. we altered our plans by using the ship "on your own" tour to get in town and back to the ship. ( we had used the metro before so knew how to do it) It cut our time down but we didn't know if the public transport would be striking or what.

We were in Istanbul last spring…… we took the tram in our first day and while there were crowds galore (a local holiday) we enjoyed the main things we wanted our kids to see (this was our 3rd trip there). But on the second day (we overnighted) we stayed on the ship due to some other issues (not violent) that could have caused serious problems getting back on time.

Egypt we did with a tour (15 days) and while visiting all the major sites we had an armed guard with us as well as a machine gun on the back of the Nile cruise ship while on the 7 days up and back trip. We did not go alone into towns but rather our awesome guide accommodated us by taking us in even when not on a tour. He knew everyone, everyone knew him and he was careful to take us where HE felt we were safe. It was an amazing trip and we are still friends with him on FB.

I think everyone has their comfort zone. Some will chose to stay home, some will travel carefree (come what may attitude) and others will still travel but perhaps in a slightly different way to feel comfortable. It really is a personal choice and sometimes "comfort" is more important than "cost".

Well....not sure I would ever describe myself as a "carefree" traveler -- as I meticulously research and study every detail. :D

I prefer to put myself in a different category than those you mention -- those who logically look at the situation and make an assessment rather than being swayed by an emotional response to a recent event that is statistically very unlikely to affect me.

When I'm driving to work and someone just a few cars ahead of me has an accident, my response isn't to stop driving. Rather, I weigh up the likelihood of a similar event impacting me (small) and I continue on my way -- being careful, and cautious and keeping a proactive eye out for other drivers that might not be as careful/cautious and doing my best to steer clear of them.

I guess that's as good a metaphor as any for how I travel. ;)

Now I'm not saying everyone should be the same way. If traveling in a certain way or a specific place genuinely affects your ability to enjoy the day, then by all means, plan something different.

But I see a lot of people whose fears get the better of them, and they do not have a chance to enjoy all that travel offers....

For example, when fellow tourists ride the old, slow Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii, many are stressed out about the potential of encountering pickpockets, or are worried about being crowded or are disdainful of the old cars with their graffiti, etc.

I, on the other hand, having secured any valuables in advance, spend my time observing the charming Italian children riding the train enroute to their schools or the two Italian grandmas, obviously old friends, holding each others arms as they get onto the train. Or the young female office workers heading into Naples, gossiping and laughing together.

To each his own!

Thanks everyone! The cruise ship transfers are $69 us which isn't too bad although there are three of us. I may just start another tour with my 'go to' company italytoursharing.com as I really enjoy their tours.

On another note, the new westjet Christmas video is out...love the giving spirit!!

Hello

We are very interested in train info. It sounds like it is something we can do. We have just returned from Italy and Greece 6 weeks traveling on our own using B&B's. Than we got word the our POPE opened the Holy Doors. Holy smokes, we need to return to Rome before he closes them.:) We are cruising on the Vista in the Spring, so we could make it back to Rome using the train. Our initial plan was to rent a car and explore more of Tuscany. Any help would be appreciated. pcavera@mishoreline.com Bev

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out/research smartcruisetours. They offer a bus shuttle from the port to Rome and then back to the port for 19 euro per person. I have emailed them twice with questions and they were always prompt and thorough-- I'll have to see if their service is as well :) Their guided tours have received mixed reviews so maybe there is someone on the boards that can share their experience with their transfer/shuttle service? Enjoy your day in Rome!

We will not get into the debate of tours vs DIY (we are long term committed DIYers) but think it might make sense to talk money. A BIRG ticket costs about 12€ ($13) per person. This single ticket covers round trip regional trains Civitavecchia to Rome PLUS unlimited use (all day) of Rome's Metro and bus system. And given normal rush hour traffic the train is often faster then a vehicle or bus transfer.

Hank