Bermuda in May

Love2CruiseRCI

I went in early May 2013 out of Baltimore. The sea days there were a bit chilly but still able to lay out. The water in Bermuda was warm enough to swim, but also a little chilly - I guess I would say refreshing - I'm from NE Ohio so I'm used to the cold lake water so keep that in mind. There were plenty of people swimming though! We were also comfortable in sun dresses, shorts, tanks and t-shirts all three days.

Good luck deciding! :)

We are thinking cruising to Bermuda out of NYC on 5/1/16. Has anyone been in early May? Is it warm enough for the beach and to get into the water? We have been before but in August and I'm worried it won't be warm enough in early May for the beach.

I went a couple of times in May and found the water temperature too cool. The air temperature was comfortable. Since I go to the beach a lot I won't book earlier than June anymore.

We went on May 15th four years ago and it was fine. Water was warm and air temp upper 70's to lower 80's. For us it was the prefect time to go. One think to watch out for is that it's jellyfish season around that time. There were many in the water and they actually had people policing Horseshoe beach picking up the dead jellyfish on the beach. Enjoy!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Early May is hit or miss for sunning on the beach. We went for a land vacation the first week of May in 2012, and the weather was a little too cool for sunning, but was great for walking along the beach and enjoying other outdoor activities. However, when we went the second week in May in 2013 on NCL Breakaway out of NYC, it was perfect beach weather. On that cruise, while at sea, it was too chilly for doing the pool and waterslides. May is a great time to go to Bermuda if you want to go at a time when it is less crowded and not as many families with children.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times in early May. If you are from the Northeast and are used to swimming the in the Atlantic ocean then you should be fine. However if you are south of the boarder the water will probably feel cold. We are on the May 8th Bermuda sailing next year.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times in early May. If you are from the Northeast and are used to swimming the in the Atlantic ocean then you should be fine. However if you are south of the boarder the water will probably feel cold. We are on the May 8th Bermuda sailing next year.

We are from Maryland so we are used to the chilly Atlantic. We just booked the May 8 sailing as well. Pretty excited for our first Norwegian cruise!

We are from Maryland so we are used to the chilly Atlantic. We just booked the May 8 sailing as well. Pretty excited for our first Norwegian cruise!

It will be chilly outside on the ship on your sea days too. On the beaches besides the cool water which is too cool for this Marylander, every time in May there were swarms of Jellyfish. That is why I aim for Bermuda in middle or late June, or September and early October.

0ac9d9caf20002a32b45d9072ff3ee08.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

We're from NY and used to fresh water lakes, etc., and we thought the water was warm. :-) It was cloudy and cool when we left NY but the following day it was hot on the ship sitting by the pool. I guess it all depends on what you're used too. The only thing we didn't like about going in May were the jellyfish.535aca23e0c5c955598bfd1a460cd257.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bitterman

• 2 months later...

I am looking at going the end of May, are the jelly fish still a problem then. I like being in the water but have encountered them in the past and have no desire to swim with them again. I could change our date to mid Sept. Thanks for the help.

I am looking at going the end of May, are the jelly fish still a problem then. I like being in the water but have encountered them in the past and have no desire to swim with them again. I could change our date to mid Sept. Thanks for the help.

They could be a problem then. That is when I have seen them. They also might not be a problem at the end of next May. They get blown to the beaches after storms. None can predict those. The water is also too cool for me then so now I wait until middle of June to cruise to Bermuda.

We've cruised to Bermuda many, many times over the past 30 or so yrs. Always in May or Sept, other than this past summer when we went in June. Water in Bermuda in May is comparable to that off the NJ/NY coast in the summer. It's "refreshing". Many folks are in the water in May at both Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay. The rates are bit lower in May, it's not yet hot and humid, and very few children on the cruises in May.....I'd go.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Bermuda last year at the end of May/beginning of June. There were no jellyfish that I saw in the water. And the water was warm enough to swim in.

I am going back to Bermuda on May 29th in 2016. Hoping for more of the same! :)

Thanks doublemm16. I took a gamble and booked on the Splendor for May 26 which will put us there on May 29th also. We only have 1 1/2 days there then 2 more ports. So if I miss the beach there, we will have two more to go to. Fingers crossed for jellyfish free water.

Sandra

We've cruised to Bermuda many, many times over the past 30 or so yrs. Always in May or Sept, other than this past summer when we went in June. Water in Bermuda in May is comparable to that off the NJ/NY coast in the summer. It's "refreshing". Many folks are in the water in May at both Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay. The rates are bit lower in May, it's not yet hot and humid, and very few children on the cruises in May.....I'd go.

Thanks marco. It sounds lovely. I can't wait to stick my toes in the sand in Bermuda. We will be there May 29th. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Bermuda once in late May and did not encounter any jellies, but the weather was cool and rainy. We had 1 decent beach day, and that was the day we left.

Since that time we always chose early to mid June. The weather is improved by then, and the water is warmer. Luckily again, no jellies or Portuguese Men of War. If I see one on the beach, I won't go in the water. One on the beach could mean many more in the water. The white moon jellies hardly sting, but the Men of War's stings are dangerous. If you see one-----stay away.

Thanks that's some good info. If I see one, I don't get in the water either. The cold water doesn't bother me much, but jellies and man o war are another story. I'm sure if the conditions are not good we can find something else to entertain ourselves. Thanks for the post.

Sandra

We are thinking cruising to Bermuda out of NYC on 5/1/16. Has anyone been in early May? Is it warm enough for the beach and to get into the water? We have been before but in August and I'm worried it won't be warm enough in early May for the beach.

Hi, we sailed from NYC on the Breakaway in May 2014 (third week) and for me it was too cold to do more than wade to just above my knees. The beaches were windy and sunny, but in the coves out of the wind it was better. This is one location we enjoyed: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147258-d148432-Reviews-Jobson_s_Cove_Beach-Warwick_Parish_Bermuda.html I think it's hard to judge for another; think about kids, they'll swim in the Atlantic ocean here in New England in May, LOL! But I prefer the warm waters of the Caribbean, so I would have preferred it warmer. Also we were using the public bus and ferry system to travel the island, and I didn't want to be really wet and cold on the 30 minute bus ride to the port. In hindsight, especially at Jobson's Cove, we could have changed right on the beach without worry; there was no one but us girls there. This year I'm doing the same trip with my husband, but we're going in the 3rd week of June. I think I'll enjoy the water more then. Laurie

We just sailed on April 5th this year to Bermuda and didn't have any issues getting in the water. It would be a bit chilly for the first 5 minutes and then you were use to it and could get in and out all day with no issues (at least for us). Every day we went was a beach day for us and we loved it. We also had nice weather there the entire time too.

The only time we encountered a jelly fish was a day we went jet skiing/boating and it was located in the area around the ships/fort. I almost missed it and had to turn the boat around to go back and find it floating on the top of the water. :eek:

P6090878%20copy-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...