Flam railway issues!

Help please!

We have been trying to book for the Flam railway when we go on our Norway Fjords cruise, however the most appropriate times are all blocked out. Presumably the cruise ships by lock book in advance which means very few options! We could wait until we get there and see if there are any returns (tricky!) or we could gamble on an early departure (9.45) but as we don't dock until 9 and everyone else gets priority for disembarking (especially if tendered) could be problematical, likewise if we book the later one which gets back at 3.40 and the ship leaves at 5 which again could cause us to worry and not enjoy the trip. The other option is to pay the exhibitant price of a ship excursion and bite the bullet!

Has anyone managed to book this trip themselves with those time constraints?

Thank you

We booked the train ourselves when we went to Flam. Our ship docked very near to the station. It was about 200m flat walk, so I think the later train would be OK.

We did the same. We actually had our tickets in hand so we did not have to get in the ticket line. I would not wait until you get there. If you stop in Bergen before Flam you can buy your ticket there.

Just before you buy the ticket online, you have the option of adding a very inexpensive 'cancellation insurance' for the ticket(s). I would gamble on the earlier one rather than the later one. If you go earlier, that gives you plenty of time to do other things throughout the rest of the day, maybe the 90 minutes bus tour up to Stegatstein Lookout (tickets also available on the Flam Railway site)...

Thank you all much for your speedy replies - very helpful! I think our ship has Kai next to it so I think that means we dock on the quay rather than anchor and needing a tender. So that should help.

If you are docking, I'd guess that 45 minutes is quite reasonable to make the railway independently. If you are tendering, I'd purchase tickets through the ship if they are still available (I normally don't buy things through the ship unless I have to, but I would if all the safe times are sold out directly through the railway).

A previous poster noted that on his or her sailing tickets for both the shore excursion and direct tickets were sold out on the Flam railway; if I were planning a last minute cruise I'd check the Flam ticket situation prior to booking since I really want to take this excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

The first time I tried to book the Flam Rairway tickets there appeared to be none available at times that worked for the cruise. I tried again the next day and was able to buy 3. Go figure.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone taken the train on a rainy day? Is it a waste of time and money?

Hmmmm. Others may hate me for this, but.... It was a pretty rainy and miserable weather day when my ship stopped in Flam. I had booked a day-long, Celebrity bus excursion that did a lengthy loop on the roads and ended with the downhill train ride back into Flam. Much of the day was spent driving in the rain, mist/fog and we were not able to see much at many of the viewpoints we stopped at. The rain was coming down quite hard during the train trip down the mountain. Also, the train was jam packed with people. I was forced to sit on an inner aisle and couldn't really enjoy the outside view much due to people standing to take pictures or just generally being in the way due to all the people. The train stopped once at a waterfall where we could get off the train for pictures. It was raining, but many of us still got off and took pictures. Honestly, it was not the best experience I've had. However, I would still do it again in a heart beat. Since it was raining, I don't think I'd rather be outside walking around much anyway.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hmmmm. Others may hate me for this, but.... It was a pretty rainy and miserable weather day when my ship stopped in Flam. I had booked a day-long, Celebrity bus excursion that did a lengthy loop on the roads and ended with the downhill train ride back into Flam. Much of the day was spent driving in the rain, mist/fog and we were not able to see much at many of the viewpoints we stopped at. The rain was coming down quite hard during the train trip down the mountain. Also, the train was jam packed with people. I was forced to sit on an inner aisle and couldn't really enjoy the outside view much due to people standing to take pictures or just generally being in the way due to all the people. The train stopped once at a waterfall where we could get off the train for pictures. It was raining, but many of us still got off and took pictures. Honestly, it was not the best experience I've had. However, I would still do it again in a heart beat. Since it was raining, I don't think I'd rather be outside walking around much anyway.

What month was you Flåm visit? Let's make offerings to the weather gods, lol.

I bought my tickets, rain or shine [emoji32]

I took the late morning Flam train from Myrdal to Flam and then right back to Myrdal on May 28 last year. It was snowing in Myrdal, and raining along the train route. We still had spectacular views and vistas both on the trip down and the trip back. I would not have missed this for the world.

phpKSkH30PM.jpg.60898f224c022b29c36e634552af082e.jpg

phpDkN0UoPM.jpg.d5911ae4951b1c866cf25fdd2808a10f.jpg

php62vRttPM.jpg.2fbae05b61c2b552e9650ea47413a8b0.jpg

What month was you Flåm visit? Let's make offerings to the weather gods, lol.

I bought my tickets, rain or shine [emoji32]

My cruise was in late July of 2011. I agree. Rain or shine. Most of my stops has rain/fog/mist issues and a lot of sites weren't at their prime viewing. But it was still a great trip.

As larger ships come on line there will be fewer tickets for DIY trips on Flam railway. We also did Norway in a Nutshell coach and rail tour. It was a glorious day, everyone was sunbathing by the lake in Voss.

However on a more recent trip to Trollstigen we only saw the views from postcards in the shop!

As the Norwegians said on the very wet trip, without the rain there would be no waterfalls, which were spectacular!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is still looking to book the Flam railway,,,I tried to book it a couple of days ago for 2nd June when I'll be there on Brittannia and it is sold out until late afternoon which I presume is around Sailaway time! Ship's tour is also sold out. Have booked Norway in a nutshell at exorbitant cost cos it includes the flam railway,,that is now limited availability if anyone is interested.