Getting Euros for trip

Boscodog

As I am deep into planning my upcoming Mediterranean Cruise and 4 days in Rome, it seems like lots of the tours we are planning and car transport all want payment in euros. What is the best time/and way to get the euros? Before we leave and travel with all the cash or in the airport in Rome or in Civitavecchia.

Commonly recommended here is ATMs in country. You may need to get some at the airport- at all times look for a bank owned and operated (and located) ATM, not one provided by a currency exchange business at the airport.

There is NO best time. You can try to game the exchange rate, but there is no way to safely predict when the rates will be more favorable. Right now euro rates are about 1.12, which is off it's lows (about 1.05 later last year) but far below highs (mid 1.30s) that have been seen over the last 5-7 years.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I usually get a few hundred euro from AAA before we leave to cover cabs etc. from airport and then at bank atm's as needed. I take 2 different account atm cards in case one has a problem, like our trip last month. One always worked, the other did sporatically. Be aware of daily limits on your card.

AAA has a pretty lousy exchange rate. If you feel you MUST get some euros in advance of your trip, better to go to your local bank or if that's not a good option, look at Wells Fargo's online purchase option.

I don't tend to do a lot of cash-intensive things (private transport, apartment rental) so I'm okay just bringing a few euro with me (generally from my last trip) and then getting more from bank ATMs as needed.

You can temporarily raise your own bank's withdrawal limit by requesting it from them before you travel. However, there may also be a limit for an individual ATM machine -- they don't want one person to "clear out" all the cash. All you have to do is find another machine -- or sometimes just do a second transaction at the same machine.

I use local ATMs and follow the advice of using one associated with a bank. There is no reason to pay an extra fee (one recent ATM in Barcelona said there would be a 5 Euro fee so cancelled that transaction) and some will show you what your withdrawal will cost in $$. Those are a no-go also. What you should expect is a process that looks very similar to what you see at home.

That said, there have been times I've had a hard time finding an ATM but you shouldn't have a problem in Rome.

Regarding the point about daily limits ... I also had a lot of services that required payment in Euros and while I'm a big fan of using local ATMs, I was sorry I didn't get a bunch of Euros before we left. If you will need a lot within the first few days of arrival, I suggest getting then in the US. You could be messed up with daily limits and don't forget that those daily limits go by a US clock, not the local time zone.

We use a security pouch by Eagle (see link below). It is comfortable to wear and very difficult to see under clothing. Both my husband and I place it off to the side, behind our front pockets, and no one would know they are there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054IH9UC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0054IH9UC&linkCode=as2&tag=travsnipandmo-20&linkId=WKTGNWTOT55YON3V

For the best rate use an ATM within Italy.

Check with your ATM bank to see how much you can withdraw in one day. If that is enough you are good to go.

If not, just get some from your local bank.

Will you pay more? Yes.

But if you are talking about even 400 Euros you will likely pay realize 20 less euros by using your own bank and in the scheme of things that small amount is offset by the convenience. If we are tight on time or need more the first day this is what we do. If not, we use the in country ATM.

Keith

Wells Fargo has a pretty decent rate and you pay a very small service fee for not being a customer. You must bring cash. I usually get most of my euros there beforehand. Most banks have a daily limit on ATM withdrawals, mine is $500. I have a couple of big payments right off the bat. I also am afraid of some issue with my bank so I would rather pay a little more and have some in hand. Wells was the best rate I found.

And no service fee if you are a customer, which I am.

I exchanged pounds from our last trip to GB to dollars, then those dollars and more to euros at a good rate and no fee.

Wells Fargo has a pretty decent rate and you pay a very small service fee for not being a customer. You must bring cash. I usually get most of my euros there beforehand. Most banks have a daily limit on ATM withdrawals, mine is $500. I have a couple of big payments right off the bat. I also am afraid of some issue with my bank so I would rather pay a little more and have some in hand. Wells was the best rate I found.

Sorry to hijack your post but I have been told that your debit card must have a chip, does anyone know if that is true? Was going to call Wells Fargo today but they are closed due to the holiday. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry to hijack your post but I have been told that your debit card must have a chip, does anyone know if that is true? Was going to call Wells Fargo today but they are closed due to the holiday. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

You do not need a debit card with a chip. I was just in Italy in early April and had no problem using ATM machines in Rome and in Volterra.

Agree with cruisemom42. Absolutely no need for a ATM card with chip.

Edited by CruiserBruce