FCO to Termini to Colosseum to Port - is it feasible?

TJTennessee

Experienced travelers, we need your input. Our flight arrives in Rome the day of the cruise, at 9:45am. My husband and I would like to visit one main attraction (Colosseum) before the ships departs at 7pm that night. So here's what we are thinking:

Arrive at FCO 9:45am. Leave airport by 11am via train to Termini station.

Arrive in Termini by 11:30. Store luggage in the "left luggage area" for 6 euros each bag.

Leave Termini by 12:30pm via metro to Colosseum (2 stops away).

Tour the Colosseum, leaving by 2:30-3pm to take Metro back to Termini.

Gather luggage at Termini, take next train to Civitavecchia port.

Check in and be on board well before the 7pm departure.

Is this feasible?? I know it's not ideal, but we only have 24 hrs upon our ship's return to do the full Vatican tour and everything else we'd like to see, so seeing the Colosseum the week before would help. We are able to walk quickly if needed, and with three kids currently in college, the cheaper, the better. :D

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

You need to find out what is the absolute "all aboard" time for your cruise, and then work backwards from that.

If this is the primary embarkation point, the ship may want all passengers onboard an hour or even 90 minutes ahead of departure.

Next, figure out the latest train from Rome that will get you to your ship on time. Currently, there are regional ("regionale") trains from Termini to Civitavechia at 3:12 pm (arriving 4:18 at Civitavecchia); then at 3:42 (5:05), and a fast regional ("regionale veloce") that leaves at 4:12 and gets to Civi at 5:13.

Not sure you'd want to cut it any closer than that; keep in mind it takes a good half hour to get from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance and then to the ship.

Also keep in mind that the regional trains leave from a FAR track in Termini Station, it's a good long walk from the station entrance.

One other option to consider is the Inter-City train that leaves Termini at 3:57 pm, arriving Civi at 4:45. The tickets cost more but there are two big advantages: 1) you are guaranteed a seat, and 2) you don't have to walk the looooong way to the tracks where the regionals depart from.

(The above times reflect a weekday; if you are arriving on a weekend, timings may be different.....)

Doable....but I feel like I would be looking at my watch every 30 seconds...

As cruisemom42 said, the critical issue is when your all aboard time is. Then work back from there. It will be 90 or 120 minutes prior to scheduled sailing.

Arrive at FCO 9:45am. Leave airport by 11am via train to Termini station.

Arrive in Termini by 11:30. Store luggage in the "left luggage area" for 6 euros each bag.

Leave Termini by 12:30pm via metro to Colosseum (2 stops away).

Tour the Colosseum, leaving by 2:30-3pm to take Metro back to Termini.

Gather luggage at Termini, take next train to Civitavecchia port.

Check in and be on board well before the 7pm departure.

Another comment or two....you don't say the date of your arrival in Rome. This may have a bearing as the lines for the Colosseum can be long at certain times and may impact your timetable. A pre-arranged tour might help with this.

Also, if you are flying from the US or Canada, jet lag should be considered. Dragging a jet-lagged body with eyes half open thru some old ruins could make an endurance test out of an otherwise wonderful visit.:o

Thank you all for your input! I will check into the inter-city train, and also check on the "all aboard" time. This is for next Wednesday, so it's coming up quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is all assuming your luggage arrives.... We recently spent a few days in Rome without our luggage, as it didn't make our short connection. This does sound doable, but wow you are going to be exhausted!

No issue. Go for it.

Or...arrange for a private tour starting at Termini. Keep your luggage with the tour guide. Visit Colosseum, then drive down to St. Peter's/Castel St. Angelo area for a look see.

Board the train at S. Pietro instead of Termini and away you go.

Watch you luggage.

Just budget 1/2 extra time at all points to ensure that you make your trains!

Edited by iancal

You have got time for sure, however I think it might not be a stress-free time. You are always going to be thinking about All Aboard.

It is a more expensive option but I think it might be easier if you were to book a tour to take you from the Airport to Civitavecchia via the Colosseum and allow the tour guide to sort out your entry tickets and look after your luggage.

YOu are on vacation. Make sure you enjoy it !!

You need to find out what is the absolute "all aboard" time for your cruise, and then work backwards from that.

If this is the primary embarkation point, the ship may want all passengers onboard an hour or even 90 minutes ahead of departure.

Next, figure out the latest train from Rome that will get you to your ship on time. Currently, there are regional ("regionale") trains from Termini to Civitavechia at 3:12 pm (arriving 4:18 at Civitavecchia); then at 3:42 (5:05), and a fast regional ("regionale veloce") that leaves at 4:12 and gets to Civi at 5:13.

Not sure you'd want to cut it any closer than that; keep in mind it takes a good half hour to get from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance and then to the ship.

Also keep in mind that the regional trains leave from a FAR track in Termini Station, it's a good long walk from the station entrance.

One other option to consider is the Inter-City train that leaves Termini at 3:57 pm, arriving Civi at 4:45. The tickets cost more but there are two big advantages: 1) you are guaranteed a seat, and 2) you don't have to walk the looooong way to the tracks where the regionals depart from.

(The above times reflect a weekday; if you are arriving on a weekend, timings may be different.....)

I am thinking 90 to 120 minutes onboard before sailingon embarcation day. I may be wrong, every cruise line is different.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. NCL asks that we check-in by 5pm for the 7pm departure. I am trying to be patient and wait to see how we feel when we actually land. We don't want to exhaust ourselves on the first day (especially since we have a busy week coming up with lots of ports), so we may just head to the ship and just try to squeeze both the Vatican and Colosseum tours in on our return.

But you never know, the excitement may give us that adrenaline push to go into Rome that first day anyway.... ;)