Which port is best for fishing?

cruisemama5

We are going to Alaska in a couple weeks on Holland out of Seattle and going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Sitka, and Kodiak. My dad is coming with us and he would like to possibly go out fishing if he can find a good rate and can get some fish. We went with him about 12 years ago and he went twice and didn't get anything.

Anyone have any experience on doing it while on a cruise? Thanks for any information.

Rainbow Charters in Homer is an easy way to possibly get some Halibut. They have 1/2 day charters at a reasonable price. Have gone with them a couple times and never got skunked.Google them.

Have fished both Homer and Seward. Seems like the advantage of Homer is you don't need to go so far out for Halibut. Ressurection Bay in Seward is fished out for Halibut which results in a 3 hr. trip out and back. Have been using Alaskan Northern Outfitters in Seward for about 5 yrs. now and have been very pleased with them.Good luck.

Following to see what others contribute... our cruise doesn't visit Homer, just Ketchikan, ISP, Juneau, & Skagway. We have booked the Knudson Cove Salmon Fishing excursion through our cruiseline.

Check out Rainy Day Charters on TripAdvisor. I'm using them in August on a recommendation from the Flightseeing Company we used in 2014. 30 reviews, 27 Excellent and 3 Very Good. Good luck.

What about freshwater fishing - trout, dollies etc as well as salmon, doesn't have to be flyfishing. I've seen ads for flight trips out of Juneau and also a trip inland from Icy Strait Pt, anyone tried these ?

(In my case it would be mid to late May).

Edited by pspercy

We did halibut fishing out of Homer. It was fun and we caught our 2 fish per person limit. The only negative is that if you have it sent home, it will be the most expensive fish per pound that you have ever eaten. It will taste delicious and just don't think about the price as you are enjoying your fish.

DON

What about freshwater fishing - trout, dollies etc as well as salmon, doesn't have to be flyfishing. I've seen ads for flight trips out of Juneau and also a trip inland from Icy Strait Pt, anyone tried these ?

I went in September last year. I packed a 6.5' ugly stick gx2 travel rod, some lightweight packable hip boots and a small container of blue fox spinners, pixie spoons and jigs/bobbers. I threw it all in a small back pack. I rented a car in Ketchikan and drove to Ward Creek. I had a blast catching pink salmon, sockeye salmon and dollies. In May you would have steelhead and dollies. Just do some research online and find out where to go. There are a couple of streams around Juneau that have steelhead runs. I am considering a May cruise to target steelhead with my fly rod, but haven't decided yet. Make sure to read the regulations for those areas. It is definitely cheaper if you are the adventurous type. I saw other guys carrying fishing gear off the ship.

Edited by doneinne

We did halibut fishing out of Homer. It was fun and we caught our 2 fish per person limit. The only negative is that if you have it sent home, it will be the most expensive fish per pound that you have ever eaten. It will taste delicious and just don't think about the price as you are enjoying your fish.

DON

I agree. I got a price on sending a 50# box of fish home. They wanted $300+ to process and send. I now process my own fish at my nephews house up there and pack in a fish box. I bring home 2-3 boxes and check in as luggage @$30 a box. Will be up there in 3 weeks to get my years supply of fish. Nothing better!

My husband took the Princess fly out fly fishing excursion in Juneau and had a great time. -Pricey, but a once in a lifetime trip.

I'm fairly sure the vendor will work with you on the type of fishing.

I went along with DH on a freshwater fishing trip in Sitka.(Is there a town in Alaska that doesn't have a "Salmon Creek"?) Anyway, DH and I both caught Dolly Varden.

http://www.flyfishsitka.com/Classic_Casting_Adventures/Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Southeast_Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Freshwater_Fishing,_Tongass,_Salmon_Fly_Fishing,_Trout_Fly_Fishing.html

251716795_flyoutfishingplane.jpg.607d51b00d91ad18323316bd8c836d34.jpg

717744485_juneauflyout.jpg.6dd82fdf486130deb43753aef1c3e7c3.jpg

525420274_Juneauflyoutfishing.jpg.8da1d34e54a16b06a0f4d7dd2c56d971.jpg