1 1/2 Days in Galveston, What to Do?

NayaSantaFe

We will be in Galveston 1 1/2 days before a cruise in November. I was thinking of doing a guided tour of the ciy, but can't seem to find alot of options besides the duck tour. Any others you can recommend? We would like something that includes the old architecture and wood carvings. Maybe like a hop on/off type of thing?

Also, any suggestions on places for lunch and dinner with kids? I was reading about The Spot, is that a good place to go with kids?

We will be in Galveston 1 1/2 days before a cruise in November. I was thinking of doing a guided tour of the ciy, but can't seem to find alot of options besides the duck tour. Any others you can recommend? We would like something that includes the old architecture and wood carvings. Maybe like a hop on/off type of thing?

Also, any suggestions on places for lunch and dinner with kids? I was reading about The Spot, is that a good place to go with kids?

have you been to http://www.galveston.com for some ideas?

I would recommend the Pink Tram tour. It is about 2 hours long, it is open air, takes you around the island. Gives out historical information a long the way. the Pink Tram tour picks up at the Pleasure Pier.

Moody gardens.com (massive )

Schlterbaun Waterpark (large )

Galvestonhistory.org (lots) and tour

Moodymansion

railroad museum must see

Oil drilling museum

Submarine and destroyer at park

Airplanes museum

Short films on Pirates,immigration and 1900 Great Storm

maritime museum

ELISSA tall ship

1894 Grand Opera House Tour or Performance

Bryan Museum largest historical museum in southeastern US

Pleasure Pier

Shell Shop on Gulf Pier

Sailing at Scout Camp

Surfing Lessons

Candy Making on Strand LaKings

Turtle Rescue Farm

Bishops Palace

Largest # Victorian Homes

2nd largest Preservation Society in US

Rosenberg Historical Library and Immigration resourse

32 miles of beach

Fishing

NASA Spacecraft Center

Edited by ssb

How old are kids?

Kids are 10, 8, 4 and 8 months. So, I definitely have Pleasure Pier on the list.

I was looking at Pink Tram and it looks like a good option. Anyone know if it's preferable to make reservations in advance or can we just catch when we are there? Considering we will be the Thanksgiving weekend.

Kids are 10, 8, 4 and 8 months. So, I definitely have Pleasure Pier on the list.

I was looking at Pink Tram and it looks like a good option. Anyone know if it's preferable to make reservations in advance or can we just catch when we are there? Considering we will be the Thanksgiving weekend.

No reservations required for Pink Tram.

Galveston Historical Foundation has tours

(see http://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/maritime-heritage/seagull-ii-harbor-tour-dolphin-watch

They also have city historical tours with large golf cart like for 10 or twelve that will need reservations leaving from Ashton Villa I believe !

I would consider:

Moody Gardens

Films

Elissa Tall Ship

Railroad

La Kings

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My hubby's mother is from Galveston, so we've spent a lot of time there, and my kids are 8 and 4. I'd recommend:

• LaKing's Candy Factory on the Strand,
  • riding the Ferry from Galveston to Bolivar and back (you can walk on instead of waiting in the car line on the opposite side)
  • Moody Gardens
  • the railroad museum
  • the Oceanstar drilling museum (I am in the O&G industry and I learned things there!)

I think the flight/airplane museum has moved to a different location after Hurricane Ike.

Edited by allfox

• 1 month later...
Maps

www.galveston.com/conventionandvisitors

galveston.com/

moodygardens.com/

galvestonhistory.org/

thebryanmuseum.org/

moodymansion.org/

what a great map of galveston. just what i need. heading there in 2 weeks and cant wait

With kids of that age I might look to drive to Clear Lake and take them to Space Center Houston.