Backpacks in Churches/Museums

Midwest_Traveler

Hi all,

We leave tomorrow and had a bit of a panic about backpacks. My info for the Colosseum says that backpacks or large bags are strictly banned. Is this true anywhere else (specifically the Accademia, Duomo in Florence and La Sagrada Familia)? We were hoping to bring a small backpack or large purse for water,cameras etc and wanted to be prepared.

Thanks in advance - this board has been a lifesaver for planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It depends on the size. Here's what they say on the Colosseum web site:

Medium and small size backpacks can be introduced and must be screened by metal detectors, as any other bag. They must be opened and visually inspected by the Urbe Security Institute, responsible for the entrance inspection.

The problem is that "medium" and "small" are not precisely described and are therefore up to the guard and his/her mood of the moment. However, the regulations are meant to prevent overnight/camping type backpacks so if yours is small enough to be considered a type of purse you'll likely be fine.

You'd need to check with each venue to see the specifics but again, if it's relatively small and fits close to your body you should be fine.

Hi all,

We leave tomorrow and had a bit of a panic about backpacks. My info for the Colosseum says that backpacks or large bags are strictly banned. Is this true anywhere else (specifically the Accademia, Duomo in Florence and La Sagrada Familia)? We were hoping to bring a small backpack or large purse for water,cameras etc and wanted to be prepared.

Thanks in advance - this board has been a lifesaver for planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's probably a little late for you, but I'm planning to use a PacSafe cross-body bag that will fit my camera, an extra lens if I wish, and has an outside sleeve for a water bottle. It's visually a lot smaller than a backpack, and I think it has plenty of room for what I need.

I'm trying it out on a trip next week!

Places that do not allow backpacks or large handbags will generally have lockers or a secure place to stow the unwelcome bags. If you keep the size of your backpack or bag to the minimum needed to carry your essentials, and you're happy to check your backpack if it's deemed too big, then you will be fine in most places.

Edited by lisiamc

Often backpacks are not allowed regardless of size unless you wear it in front. I often use a Kipling cross body which is approximately 10" x 12". I have taken it into the Forum, Vatican Museum, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, to name just a few. It has met the size criteria for everywhere. It is big enough to hold a small umbrella, camera, water bottle, map, etc. I like it because it has a zipped pocket inside, a zipped top under the flap, and Velcro. It would be challenging for even a good pickpocket to get into the inside zipped pocket if you are remotely aware of your surroundings.

My crossbody camera bag is about 16" x 8" x 6". I wear it in front, not back. will I have problems getting it into the Vatican, Colosseum, or Pompeii?

It is technically about 1/2" to long. If by "about" you mean longer, I would choose to take a smaller bag. If you mean it is not quite 16" you should be OK.

The Vatican rules about the size of allowed bags are here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Consigli.html. And it's not that they won't let you in, it's that they will require you to check your bag.

From the Vatican website mentioned above:

"It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom suitcases, backpacks and containers with dimensions larger than cm 40 x 35 x 15."

Edited by lisiamc

The Vatican rules about the size of allowed bags are here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Consigli.html. And it's not that they won't let you in, it's that they will require you to check your bag.

From the Vatican website mentioned above:

"It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom suitcases, backpacks and containers with dimensions larger than cm 40 x 35 x 15."

It is technically about 1/2" to long. If by "about" you mean longer, I would choose to take a smaller bag. If you mean it is not quite 16" you should be OK.

Thanks! May have to take a smaller bag and have DH take something as well.