Getting into Boston from ship

cole'snana

We'll be in Boston this fall. Here's info I've compiled, mostly from the Port of Boston website, although it tells how to get to the port from Boston, not the other way around:

Cruiseport Boston is easily served by MBTA Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit Service. If coming from South Station (located roughly mile from cruise terminal & also stop on MBTA’s “Red Line” subway system) get on SL2 bus & get off at “Drydock Avenue” stop. Terminal on Black Falcon Avenue, across from Design Center. Silver Line (Drydock Avenue stop) is roughly 2m walk.

If have additional questions, or want information on fares & schedules, call (800) 392-6100 or check MBTA’s website at MBTA Schedules & Maps. If don’t book ship-sponsored tour, cruise line offers shuttle bus service for fee that takes you downtown. You can also take taxi or use public transportation. If feel adventurous, can walk, 30m. Is also water taxi: run by 2 companies, $18 or $20 for cruise port service, around $12 for other stops. Must call. (When I've written "m" it means minutes.)

You might also want to check tomsportguides.com, find Tom's guide on Boston, and read it. He usually covers how to get from a port to center city.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Going on the Grandeur on 8/4. Could someone share the details of getting a public bus from the pier into historic Boston' date=' such as where to get the bus, where it drops off, and the cost?[/quote']

We are on the same cruise on 8/4. it is easy to take the SL2 bus to south station and then change. The maps are very helpful in finding out which stations are best for where you want to go. I use google to get route info before leaving home. You will need a Charlie card for use on the metro. i think the SL2 will take exact change and then you can get your charlie card at South Station. For more info try

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps

I'm thinking of renting a car, but it seems a little more difficult in Boston than in many places I've cruised to. I know Logan is not far away, but if there's somewhere else closer where I can rent one, I'd probably prefer to do that. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone else has rented a car in Boston on a cruise and if so, where is the easiest and fastest place to get to from Black Falcon cruiseport? Also, do the cruise ships or the city ever offer a shuttle somewhere, or is taking the SL2 to South Station the best way to go to a central point in Boston where a cruiser could do sightseeing - or even possibly rent a car?

I found a water taxi that goes directly from Black Falcon to Logan, but it's geared towards people disembarking in Boston and then wanting to sightsee in Boston before heading to the airport. I think it's $25 per person, which is more than we want to pay just to go get a rental car.

Zipcar offers 2 cars near the cruise port, but once you join, pay, etc. it seems a little more pricier than just finding and getting to a car rental place.

There are a few rental car company offices in South Boston, and of course Enterprise will pick you up at the pier. Or you can take public transit to downtown where there are more options.

Are you planning on leaving Boston central for your visit? Cars are not needed in the city.

I'm thinking of renting a car, but it seems a little more difficult in Boston than in many places I've cruised to. I know Logan is not far away, but if there's somewhere else closer where I can rent one, I'd probably prefer to do that. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone else has rented a car in Boston on a cruise and if so, where is the easiest and fastest place to get to from Black Falcon cruiseport? Also, do the cruise ships or the city ever offer a shuttle somewhere, or is taking the SL2 to South Station the best way to go to a central point in Boston where a cruiser could do sightseeing - or even possibly rent a car?

I found a water taxi that goes directly from Black Falcon to Logan, but it's geared towards people disembarking in Boston and then wanting to sightsee in Boston before heading to the airport. I think it's $25 per person, which is more than we want to pay just to go get a rental car.

Zipcar offers 2 cars near the cruise port, but once you join, pay, etc. it seems a little more pricier than just finding and getting to a car rental place.

Cars are a huge liability in Boston. What exactly do you want to see? What day of the week would you be doing this? Please don't just rent a car thinking you can drive around central Boston and easily park. Many areas have "residents only" parking which you can't use. Parking meters are never available. Paid parking is super expensive for a short time - think $20-50. Add in traffic congestion and confusing narrow one way streets to top off the experience.

Please organize a plan for your day and post back for specific suggestions.

Our family just spent July 4th in Boston. We drove in and ditched the car at the hotel for $36. We walked. I rode the Silver Line and took a cab. We rode the water taxi. Some folks took an Uber cab to near the fireworks and braved the red line/silver line to get back to the hotel. We tried everything and it was a great day.

Edited by 138east

Having worked in and commuted from the north every day for 24 years I also suggest not getting a car unless you plan to leave the city. The "T" is great, cheap and for just over $2.00 you can get across the city as long as you stay in the system undergground. From the port take the SL2 bus to south station and then the red line to park street where you can change to any of the lines to take you wherever you want to go. Boston is also very walkable and there are great small restaurants every where. Enjoy your stay in New England. My husband and I are on the Serenade for the 9/18 trip this year.

I was looking at Public transportation from the dock to North End. Then I found a Taxi fare calculator and it showed from the dock to North End was about a 10 minute ride, cost about $15.00. So I would recommend checking out the taxi fare to get to where you want to go as well as public transportation.

If you want to run around the harbor, Rowes Wharf water taxi offers a two day pass for $25. This might not be cost effective if you're just there for the day, but it could be if you want to go out to the Constitution, then come back to various waterfront places before returning to the ship. Definitely an option for solo travelers.

I echo the advice NOT to rent a car in Boston. It's hard enough when you know where you're going. The places you will want to see are chock full of one way streets and alleys, quick rights followed by crossing two lanes to take an immediate left, and pedestrians EVERYWHERE.

And GPS is largely useless, because when the voice says "take your next right" and it's a one way in the wrong direction, followed by an alley with a truck backing out of it, and then a curve in the road but no legitimate right turn... you will not be a happy tourist.

Except in a very limited part of the city, there's no grid system -- it was laid out by people walking their cows to the common, and it shows.

The T works great, but even a cab ride into the heart of the city and back again at the end of the day will be a far better investment than a rental car. Your nerves will thank you.

We will be stopping in Boston as a port of call on an upcoming cruise. We are interested in taking the Duck Tour. There are 3 locations to embark. Does anyone know if it is within walking distance, and how far to any of them?

1. Museum of Science

2. Prudential Center

3. New England Aquarium

We would like to walk the Freedom Trail as well. How would it be best to do these both in one day? We are in Boston on a Saturday from 7 AM until 7 PM.

Will traffic be lighter on a Saturday than on a weekday?

None are in short walking distance from the pier. The Aquarium would be closest, but that's still going to be 40-45 minute walk. Check Google maps for specific info

Auto traffic will be lighter on a Saturday than a weekday. Tourist traffic will be heavier.

Edited by Nitemare

We will be stopping in Boston as a port of call on an upcoming cruise. We are interested in taking the Duck Tour. There are 3 locations to embark. Does anyone know if it is within walking distance, and how far to any of them?

1. Museum of Science

2. Prudential Center

3. New England Aquarium

We would like to walk the Freedom Trail as well. How would it be best to do these both in one day? We are in Boston on a Saturday from 7 AM until 7 PM.

Will traffic be lighter on a Saturday than on a weekday?

I would take a cab to the Aquarium and take an early duck tour. Many of the places you see will be along the Freedom Trail and you can figure out the locations you might want to explore more closely.

There is nothing sacred about the Freedom Trail. It's merely a tourist walking route through downtown Boston that makes sure that folks can find the historic sites that are nestled among the more modern downtown buildings. From the Aquarium can walk along the waterfront into the North End and pick up the Freedom Trail to walk it backwards to Fanueil Hall and back to the Boston Common. From there you can take the Red Line to South Station and transfer to the SL 2 Silver line to get back to Black Falcon Terminal. IMO it is not an interesting walk from Boston Common to Black Falcon.

If you're interested in the Constitution, you can take the MBTA water taxi from Long wharf next to the Aquarium to the Constituion in Charlestown and walk the entire Freedom Trail in reverse.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. ..do you know about how much the fare is from terminal to Fanuiel hall? Also would they be there as soon as ship docks as we are usually early risers and like to get off early and start our day...especially since we missed stuff on our last trip to Boston. We had a hoho and didn't even think to pay attention to if there were taxis or not.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Thanks. ..do you know about how much the fare is from terminal to Fanuiel hall? Also would they be there as soon as ship docks as we are usually early risers and like to get off early and start our day...especially since we missed stuff on our last trip to Boston. We had a hoho and didn't even think to pay attention to if there were taxis or not.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Depending on traffic conditions, average fare would run about $10-$15. If you arrive on a weekday you could hit rush hour traffic either going from or to the ship. On your return to the ship plan to allow extra time for both the ride back to the ship terminal and then getting through the terminal and back on to the ship. It is easy to get a cab back to the ship. Just go to where you were dropped off and cabs normally are dropping off or if not, you will be able to flag one down. More efficient than taking the ship's shuttle since the shuttle does not leave until it is full.

Enjoy your visit! We leave next Saturday and we will be in Boston on 9/26 ourselves.

MARAPRINCE

We'll be in Boston just for the day in mid-Oct. and decided on a Hoho bus. Seems the easiest way to get around in a short time. Can be picked up very close to Black Falcon Terminal and includes a 45 min harbor tour. Works for us. I would NEVER rent a car in Boston (grew up in NYC and hated to drive there too.)

Edited by JoRoy218

We did the old town boston hoho last time we were there...dont want to be on the bus for all the stops when we know what we want/need to see this time. last time we ran out of time so we have just a narrow area we want to visit.

Would land taxi's be there right when the ship docks as we tend to get off right away.

• 2 months later...