Antigua - which beach?

nbsjcruiser

Very simple - tell the taxi driver 'Tony's on Dickenson Beach'. Ten minute drive. To get back, there are usually taxis waiting in the Antigua Village parking lot, just down the beach past Sandals. In fact, if you fancy a beach stroll, you could ask the driver to drop you at the Antigua Village lot and then walk along the beach past Sandals to Tony's. If you keep going, you go past Halcyon Cove (with the restaurant out on the pier) and the top end of Dickenson is dead quiet.

You may want to search some of these posts re Valley Church beach. I seem to recall a suggestion that it gets crowded on cruise days, in part because some eatery is 'encouraging' taxi drivers to recommend the beach. I can't verify that. Look, most of the Antigua beaches are lovely. Dickenson is busy, Jolly is huge, Half Moon is completely deserted and there are no facilities whatsoever. Personally, I don't care if I never see it again but some people love it. Long Bay is a long way away. I'm partial to Turner's.

I read some reviews about dickensons that said it wasn't relaxing and was noisy

Due to jet skis and that the area designated for the ships excursion is very small and crowded. Also in the reviews people said the peddlers were annoying.

Is all this true? We are a family of 7. Does anyone know if we fit in a taxi.

Thanks sorry about all the questions.

Over the years we have been to VC four times - most recently Feb. 16. Very nice beach, but it has deteriorated by erosion so that it has one of the steepest drop offs as you enter the water of any of the Caribbean islands. There are chair and umbrella rentals, but again it does get very crowded when multiple ships are in. There are restrooms and bars with food available.

On school days watch your time as the roads are clogged with lots of traffic including school vans making traffic very slow if your doing it by taxi.

Next month (Adventure 8/27/16) we are going back to Dichenson's as it has more of a family feel to it and beach drop off is minimal.

Hal

• 3 weeks later...
Very simple - tell the taxi driver 'Tony's on Dickenson Beach'. Ten minute drive. To get back, there are usually taxis waiting in the Antigua Village parking lot, just down the beach past Sandals. In fact, if you fancy a beach stroll, you could ask the driver to drop you at the Antigua Village lot and then walk along the beach past Sandals to Tony's. If you keep going, you go past Halcyon Cove (with the restaurant out on the pier) and the top end of Dickenson is dead quiet.

You may want to search some of these posts re Valley Church beach. I seem to recall a suggestion that it gets crowded on cruise days, in part because some eatery is 'encouraging' taxi drivers to recommend the beach. I can't verify that. Look, most of the Antigua beaches are lovely. Dickenson is busy, Jolly is huge, Half Moon is completely deserted and there are no facilities whatsoever. Personally, I don't care if I never see it again but some people love it. Long Bay is a long way away. I'm partial to Turner's.

My vote is for Turners, as well. .Best conch fritters every, Cold beer, and a oretty, secluded beach

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info on Valley Church Beach I have small children and that will never work for us not being able to get in and out of the water ...

Do you happen to know how much the Taxi is to Dickenson"s Beach ?

Over the years we have been to VC four times - most recently Feb. 16. Very nice beach, but it has deteriorated by erosion so that it has one of the steepest drop offs as you enter the water of any of the Caribbean islands. There are chair and umbrella rentals, but again it does get very crowded when multiple ships are in. There are restrooms and bars with food available.

On school days watch your time as the roads are clogged with lots of traffic including school vans making traffic very slow if your doing it by taxi.

Next month (Adventure 8/27/16) we are going back to Dichenson's as it has more of a family feel to it and beach drop off is minimal.

Hal

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Dickenson Bay just a couple of weeks ago. Taxi fare was $3 per person.

Yes, Sandals takes up almost all the beach area, but of course the beach is public, however, they won't let you near their restaurants. Before going, I had thought (from reviews) that the beach "was lined" with bars/restaurants and such. I didn't see this. Tony's is there but I found a whole lot to be desired. Lots of litter around (including broken glass). Food is decent but not cheap. I rented 2 chairs and 2 umbrellas for $30.00.

If I were going again, I would research further to see if there are any good beaches that also have nice, clean places to enjoy a bite. Something that shows pride of ownership. I did see a couple of small resorts at Dickenson, but they said "private" on the entrances and didn't seem to want beachgoers entering. I would not go to Tony's. Too ramshackle and littered IMO. I want something a little better when I'm on vacation.

Edited by LMK5

• 2 weeks later...
I too would like to know this as well. Hopefully we can get a response.

What about Hawks Bill Beach?

I'm sorry, I just saw this. I want to say it's about a 20-minute cab ride to Turner's Beach. We shared a cab with another couple and I don't think we paid more than $10 per couple each way. We arrange for the same cab to pick us up at the end of our day and take us back to the cruise port as well.

Valley Church Beach is where I would go. We were there in June & before we went I was looking at all these same beaches & reviews trying to decide. I'm so glad we chose Valley Church Beach. It was absolutely breathtaking, the most beautiful water I've ever seen. It will not disappoint!!!! Can't wait to get back to Antigua & that gorgeous beach!!!

3046111_Antiguabeach.jpg.fb01b8e84c2cb4fa67024d76daad07f1.jpg

1897955655_BeachVC.jpg.5dcbbf5ae0915c72ef2dd54ebb25f897.jpg

742004306_VCBAntigua.jpg.2ce9981aefffbe867720e92996fba92b.jpg

Was there a big drop off getting in to the water like it's been reported on here ?

Was the water ruff ?

Valley Church Beach is where I would go. We were there in June & before we went I was looking at all these same beaches & reviews trying to decide. I'm so glad we chose Valley Church Beach. It was absolutely breathtaking, the most beautiful water I've ever seen. It will not disappoint!!!! Can't wait to get back to Antigua & that gorgeous beach!!!

We have been to Turners Beach twice, although the last time was in 2012. Both times we found a gradual entrance into the water, a sandy shoreline. I do not remember any great drop off. There were waves, as I remember my husband body surfing.

Was there a big drop off getting in to the water like it's been reported on here ?

Was the water ruff ?

There is a drop off, but it wasn't bad. I'm a short girl & it wasn't an issue for me. The water was very calm & smooth the day we were there. Beautiful beach & water. I believe we paid $15 for 2 chairs & umbrella & $50 for 30 min. wave runner rental. We ate lunch at The Nest Restaurant, reasonably priced & the coconut shrimp with rice & beans was excellent!!!

30 minute ride, one way taxi up to 4 is $24.00.

You might want to check out my comparisons, if you haven't already to help in your decision. The thread is titles Comparisons.

I am now strongly considering Fort James Beach. There is a restaurant called BeachLimerz. They rent chairs, umbrella and some beach toys and have a restroom inside their place for guests and a outside shower. It is on the Northwest Coast and borders the old fort ruins that has stunning views. White sand beach and not overly developed. Fort James is about 10 minutes away from the port and the cab fare is $12.00, one way up to 4. Oh, the restaurant will call a cab for you according to the owner's email

Edited by OC PAT
additional info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...