WPYR tour - HAC vs Dyea Dave ?

Roadster1

Looking at booking the full day (bus up, train down) Skagway trip and trying to decide if we should go through Dyea Dave or just book on the HAC shore ex site. Ive being doing the pros and cons list based on my readings here on CC:

Currently the HAC shows WL only for this tour but we're over 30 days out and I'm hoping this will clear.

Its ~$30 pp cheaper to go with DD but a little extra hassle to book tour and train separately

I get that DD is local/smaller/personal but are the HAC coaches that different?

Any insights appreciated

Looking at booking the full day (bus up, train down) Skagway trip and trying to decide if we should go through Dyea Dave or just book on the HAC shore ex site. Ive being doing the pros and cons list based on my readings here on CC:

Currently the HAC shows WL only for this tour but we're over 30 days out and I'm hoping this will clear.

Its ~$30 pp cheaper to go with DD but a little extra hassle to book tour and train separately

I get that DD is local/smaller/personal but are the HAC coaches that different?

Any insights appreciated

You are talking about a HAL ship tour??? Your abbreviations aren't anything standard?

Yes the tours are different, HAL uses big tour buses, and makes fixed stops. Dave's shuttles are like you rental car/hotel size buses. Superior viewing out of both sides as well. I guess I just do not see any "hassle" in booking 2 simple transactions?

Dyea Dave or Chilkoot Tours, you can't go wrong with either. We used Chilkoot this month and Dyea Dave has been getting great reviews here.

You'll save money, have a smaller shuttle bus, and probably less crowded train car. Chilkoot has a whole train car, often the last car, and there were only 6 PAX on our Bennett Scenic rail/bus combo.

Thanks all for the info...liking the Chilkoot option but one other question - is it possible to just decide the morning of and book spur of the moment with the Chilkoot rep at the pier? I realize it takes a risk, but is it doable? Sadly I'm travelling with some who have fear of commitment :rolleyes:

Edited by Roadster1

I'd say give Chillkoot a call and ask. When we went there were only maybe 8 seats in total left in the car. I was surprised it was not full with the number of ships in that day. The car we had actually had tables for 4, made it easier for lunch.

Thanks all for the info...liking the Chilkoot option but one other question - is it possible to just decide the morning of and book spur of the moment with the Chilkoot rep at the pier? I realize it takes a risk, but is it doable? Sadly I'm travelling with some who have fear of commitment :rolleyes:

I don't think they have anyone at the pier. Often they are sold out for certain tours. If you want to take any limited capacity tours, you NEED to book in advance. Don't leave it to chance if you really want to do it!

you state "full day", sorry, no , this is not likely, going to be available for walk up. These tour leave early morning and numbers and schedules are in place. There isn't time to add people.

Frankly, dump the hold out. Why compromise what YOU want to do in preference of their inability to commit?

I'll add my vote for Dyea Dave. We really enjoyed the much smaller shuttle. They were able to avoid stops when there were large tour busses from the cruise ships. We also stopped at a local restaurant vs. the larger "complex" that Chilkoot stops. I personally preferred the more local atmosphere. We did have to buy our tickets for the train trip back down, but the driver did a great job of coordinating for us and making sure we made it to the train early. We also were on the last car and not with the bus tours so our car was fairly empty and it made for great pictures going around the bends.

you state "full day", sorry, no , this is not likely, going to be available for walk up. These tour leave early morning and numbers and schedules are in place. There isn't time to add people.

Frankly, dump the hold out. Why compromise what YOU want to do in preference of their inability to commit?

My thoughts exactly! I'd let the others in the group know what I planned to do, and tell them they were free to book the same tour...or not.

We had a very good experience with Chilkoot last week. Our driver, James, was very informative and entertaining. Enjoyed our stop seeing the huskies & lunch. We were on the first car behind engine on the way down, so don't count on the last car (my preference).

I'll add my vote for Dyea Dave. We really enjoyed the much smaller shuttle. They were able to avoid stops when there were large tour busses from the cruise ships. We also stopped at a local restaurant vs. the larger "complex" that Chilkoot stops. I personally preferred the more local atmosphere. We did have to buy our tickets for the train trip back down, but the driver did a great job of coordinating for us and making sure we made it to the train early. We also were on the last car and not with the bus tours so our car was fairly empty and it made for great pictures going around the bends.

We are also using Dyea Dave and will need to buy our train ticket for the ride down. Do you buy the ticket before you go or can you get it when they drop you at the train station?

We are also using Dyea Dave and will need to buy our train ticket for the ride down. Do you buy the ticket before you go or can you get it when they drop you at the train station?

Buy them ahead. You only have one train that "works". You will get a short stop at the depot to pick up your tickets before you leave Skagway.

Buy them ahead. You only have one train that "works". You will get a short stop at the depot to pick up your tickets before you leave Skagway.

Thanks. I guess I will have to let Daves driver know we need to stop. I would think that Not all passengers will be taking train back.

Thanks. I guess I will have to let Daves driver know we need to stop. I would think that Not all passengers will be taking train back.

Yes just tell the driver and they will direct you. The stop is usually made for a bathroom break before starting the trip, anyway.

Yes just tell the driver and they will direct you. The stop is usually made for a bathroom break before starting the trip, anyway.

This is exactly what happened with us. We planned to walk over and get our tickets first, but ended up just waiting on the shuttle. He dropped us and the other 2 who planned to take the train back off at the station for a quick stop before heading out of town. Most on the excursion were riding there and back on the shuttle. I was really happy to take the shuttle up and then ride the train back. Two different experiences and some different scenery too.

We used Dyea Dave on our June sailing and had a blast. The shuttle was small yet roomy to accommodate 11 people. Our guide Saskia (I know I'm spelling her name wrong) was awesome. She was funny and really got the group involved. Would highly recommend Dyea Dave.