Booking Alaskan Cruise --- Need Help Please

emjayel56

Hi I am planning a 7 nite cruise either May or July 2017 and can't decide if i should depart from Seattle or Vancouver. I read on the boards that sailing from Seattle has rougher seas than Vancouver but traveling to Seattle from Florida is more convenient. Any pros or cons that you can share regarding this?

Also, i was narrowing down to HAL or Princess. I definitely want to do Glacier Bay. Is there a side of the ship with better scenery for cabin location?

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks all

Maryjo

If both are round trip, there will be less scenic sailing out of Seattle. I suggest, looking closely and selecting your activities in each port. THEN look at ship itineraries to be sure they fit.

I've sailed out of Seattle many times, and always enjoy the trip. So don't get caught up in the posters who are bound to write how Seattle is a sloppy second to the Vancouver sailings.

In your case, it may not be. :)

Vancouver is only about 150 miles north of Seattle so very easy to reach if you fly into Seatac. Some options include Amtrack Cascades train or bus, greyhound bus, bolt bus, quick shuttle, cruise line transfer, rental car. Just be aware that you may need a taxi to some of the depots so check the locations.

We have sailed round trip out of both Seattle and Vancouver, as well as both a north bound and southbound one way trips.

Recommend you pick your ports and desired activities and then match the best sailings.

Neither customs has ever been a big deal maker.

Depending on your tolerance for ship motion don't get too caught up in the "rough waters" idea west of Vancouver Is. Sure, inside the island is like cruising on a lake but even outside is no worse than what might be encountered in the Caribbean. There's a reason they named it the Pacific ocean. In summer when the big high pressure ridge sets up (like right now, gorgeous in Seattle) there should not be much difference inside out outside Vancouver Is. Things don't get a little rough until late-Sept or mid-Oct when the Pineapple Express cranks up. The big difference inside or outside is scenery and much of the passage by the island is at night anyway.

Done both, but really like sailing out of Vancouver. We fly into Seattle because it is cheaper and typically drive up to Vancouver. The problem with 7 day round trips is that it is a long way up there. Consider a one way between Vancouver and Whittier or Seward. Yes, the airfare to Alaska is a pain, but you see a lot more if you can go farther. And if you do get up there take a few days on land - well worth it.

Hi I am planning a 7 nite cruise either May or July 2017 and can't decide if i should depart from Seattle or Vancouver. I read on the boards that sailing from Seattle has rougher seas than Vancouver but traveling to Seattle from Florida is more convenient. Any pros or cons that you can share regarding this?

Also, i was narrowing down to HAL or Princess. I definitely want to do Glacier Bay. Is there a side of the ship with better scenery for cabin location?

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks all

Maryjo

There hasn't been any mention of your two month choices - May or July. I've only been on one Alaskan cruise and it was this past May. I'd read a lot over the years and picked May for various reasons. It's not nearly as cold as many people think, there aren't very many kids because most schools aren't out yet and the weather was pretty spectacular - May is generally the driest month. There's also fewer other tourists. Most of our ports we were the only ship and a couple places we were the first ship - the locals aren't all worn out from all the extra people.

Our ship sailed from Vancouver which I found to be a very nice town - we returned to Seattle. Other than getting on or off a cruise ship I wouldn't bother touring around Seattle again - I didn't care for it too much.

Good luck!

Is there a side of the ship with better scenery for cabin location?

The best side for scenery is OUTside. Port vs Starboard doesn't really matter IMHO, I'd choose cabin location for ease of access to the outer decks more so than side of the ship. The only one I wouldn't choose would be an aft balcony as you'll have passed by any scenery by the time you can see it.

During an inside passage you have great scenery to both sides, same for coming into port at Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, and Seward. Although port side was toward the pier in three of the four, that's seems to be random enough not to make a difference in your choice. In Glacier Bay not only would you want to be outside anyway, they also spin the ship so everyone gets a look. On sea days the coastline is a smudge on the horizon at best, so again side doesn't matter.

I loved sailing out of Seattle due to the extreme ease of the port and the great things there are to see in the city before and after! I have done both Vancouver and Seattle in July and one cruise was warm, one was freezing. ah the joys and mysteries of Alaska :) Whichever you choose - have a great cruise!

We sailed out of Seattle on the Carnival Legend. Loved Seattle especially Pike Place Market area.

We sail on carnival because of the live music they provide.

Which side of the ship you are on is irrelevant in my opinion. An experience of a lifetime.