What to do in one day in Marseille

Ecuador

Really depends on you interests. Marseille is a large port city so some will like to tour the old port and the local cathedral. We elected to get into the countryside and visit Aix , also popular is Avignon and the palace of the popes or cassis. You need to do a little research or let people here know more about your interests as there are quite variable touring options

• 1 month later...
Yes, it's good fun, all the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]aNsFktA9o58[/YOUTUBE]

So is this a hop on-hop off type of transport? Or are you limited to a certain amount of time at each stop? Do you have enough time to visit both the Notre Dame and the fort?

Thanks!

No, the petit train is not hop on hop off. It takes you directly to Notre Dame. You can spend as long as you like up there, it's a frequent service. I think it stops for an hour at lunchtime though. They also run a separate short tour of the old city, but I don't think that stops anywhere. We enjoyed the journey up to Notre Dame.

Edited by aquilegia

No, the petit train is not hop on hop off. It takes you directly to Notre Dame. You can spend as long as you like up there, it's a frequent service. I think it stops for an hour at lunchtime though. They also run a separate short tour of the old city, but I don't think that stops anywhere. We enjoyed the journey up to Notre Dame.

Thanks for the info!

First time in Marseille so want to see the sights in the city.Would like to go to cathedral. Anyone used bus 60 to get there?

Yes - it was quite quick too. We had a walking tour with Marseille Greeters and our guide helped us get the bus, took us around and brought us back to explore Marseille. A fabulous day. :)

First time in Marseille so want to see the sights in the city.Would like to go to cathedral. Anyone used bus 60 to get there?

In April I took the free port shuttle to Terminal 1, walked 2 blocks to the the Joliette metro station and bought a two trip ticket. Then I walked to Cathedral La Major (it wasn't open yet, but the morning light was good for outside pictures), up to Eglise Saint-Laurant (nice church with good views of the harbor) and down to steps to the Quai du Port to catch the 60 bus. It was a fairly quick, easy and inexpensive ride up to N.D. du Garde.

I considered the Petit Train, but decided not to because of the extra cost and not being a HOHO.

If you take the 60, pick it up close to the start of the route, near Fort Saint-Jean. That way you might get a seat, or get on at all. The stops in the rest of the Vieux-Port are crowded and you might have to wait a bus or two.

For the return I thought about walking down, but took the bus back to the bottom of the hill (got off at the Hard Rock Cafe) and just walked the town. It was Saturday and Vieux-Port and the Arab Market were busy. Got lunch at a patisserie on the Rue d'Aubagne. Wandered the Vieux-port. Stopped in at the Brouse to see the ruins. Stoped at several street markets. Wandered up through the Panier to Place des Moulins and La Vielle Charite museums, stopping in at art galleries and shops along the way. Wandered the Panier a bit more, stopped at Cathedral La Major (now open) and back to the shuttle bus stop. The port stop was short, had to be back on board by 3:00 so I got to the shuttle stop by 2:00

I enjoyed the stop in Marseilles. Nice walkable city. It was also an inexpensive port stop: just the bus, lunch, the museum ticket and donations at the churches I visited.