New to Galveston and confused.

kshees

We will be flying into most likely Hobby in May for our cruise on the Breeze. Flights aren't set in stone, so may fly into Bush if prices and times are better. We will be flying there the day before the cruise and want to stay in Galveston. So I am looking for info and recommendations on good reliable transportation from the airport and then good hotels that are close to restaurants and stuff, would love a view of the water if possible.

Yes I know there is a lot of information, but I am looking for information on different areas of Galveston and what people recommend. I am very familiar with other ports but not Galveston. What area is the port in, is a good area for hotels? Do most people stay in the beach resort areas? Just not sure and I am looking for help. Thanks

Edited by kshees

Yes I know there is a lot of information, but I am looking for information on different areas of Galveston and what people recommend. I am very familiar with other ports but not Galveston. What area is the port in, is a good area for hotels? Do most people stay in the beach resort areas? Just not sure and I am looking for help. Thanks

I have to agree with the other post - within this board (Gulf coast departures) there lays all the answers to your questions. After reading every post from 2015 I've concluded there are as many suggestions as there are posts!

Us? We're new to Galveston as well. We opted for:

Flying in to IAH the day before we set sail.

Opted to stay in Galveston.

Booked a one way car rental because it was the same price (basically) as 2 one-way transfers (shuttle; or cab; or private service; or cruise sponsored shuttle) and provides us transportation during our one day in Galveston - wine run, some sightseeing.

Booked a queen double through Hotels dot com - found a place across the street from the pleasure pier - got a decent rate (we booked it 4 months out - same room is almost double now) - it includes breakfast.

We will call for a cab to the pier after dropping the car because it is 1/2 the price of the "shuttle" service from the car rental place.

At the end of the cruise we chose a one way shuttle with a new service provider that offers excellent rates.

Did we make good choices? For us, yes. Is the hotel in a desirable location? Sure, it's across from the beach and a major attraction. Were the logistics goofy? Definitely. Never worked so hard trying not to break the bank on the way to a cruise.

I have to agree with the other post - within this board (Gulf coast departures) there lays all the answers to your questions. After reading every post from 2015 I've concluded there are as many suggestions as there are posts!

Booked a one way car rental because it was the same price (basically) as 2 one-way transfers (shuttle; or cab; or private service; or cruise sponsored shuttle) and provides us transportation during our one day in Galveston - wine run, some sightseeing.

Booked a queen double through Hotels dot com - found a place across the street from the pleasure pier - got a decent rate (we booked it 4 months out - same room is almost double now) - it includes breakfast.

We will call for a cab to the pier after dropping the car because it is 1/2 the price of the "shuttle" service from the car rental place.

At the end of the cruise we chose a one way shuttle with a new service provider that offers excellent rates.

Did we make good choices? For us, yes. Is the hotel in a desirable location? Sure, it's across from the beach and a major attraction. Were the logistics goofy? Definitely. Never worked so hard trying not to break the bank on the way to a cruise.

Thanks for the information. Who is the service provider you are using on your return to the airport? I have been researching for awhile now and trying to see if there is anyone new that I might have missed. As for the hotel lots of information out there and trying to out what areas people think are best. I know it's subjective. Thanks

My recommendation is to fly into Hobby (HOU), closer (40 vs 71 miles).

There are only 2 hotels downtown, The Tremont Hotel and Harbor House, on port. Both are very nice and sister hotels to The Galvez on Seawall Blvd.

Hotels are on 45S entering Galveston (low end) and Seawall Blvd., facing the Gulf between 20th St. and 61St. Restaurants are located along Seawall Blvd., with numerous, locally owned in the downtown area.

Most hotel sites have a map showing location.

The island is 2 miles wide (at its widest) and 32 miles long. The area for you is town from 20th st to 61st st, Haborside to Seawall. Galveston's areas are all mixed with only the downtown area a true business area. Harborside is all industrial and Port related except between 20th and 25th St. with restaurants on the Port side and across the street from The Strand.

you can find more information on galvestonhistory.org, Galveston.com and numerous travel sites.

Never worked so hard trying not to break the bank on the way to a cruise.

Pretty much spot on to what we are doing as well! :) When booking this cruise I didn't realize how much it would cost to get from the airport to Galveston via shuttle! OY :eek:

We opted to do the following:

-Fly into IAH (Seattle only flies into IAH) on Saturday (day before cruise)

-Got a rental car from Budget on priceline dot com (airport to texas city/sat-sun) then Uber/taxi to pier on sunday

*like you said ended up being much cheaper and we even got insurance on the car :D

-Decided to stay near Texas City since that's where the rental car is via Airbnb dot com vs hotel (but we have a car to zip around town and the time)

-also not flying out till the day after the cruise (monday night) so we have almost 2 full days so we decided to rent a car thru budget again after the cruise on priceline dot com :p

I leave this weekend so I can come and report back if anyone is interested :D

There are only 2 hotels downtown, The Tremont Hotel and Harbor House, on port. Both are very nice and sister hotels to The Galvez on Seawall Blvd.

Hotels are on 45S entering Galveston (low end) and Seawall Blvd., facing the Gulf between 20th St. and 61St. Restaurants are located along Seawall Blvd., with numerous, locally owned in the downtown area.

The island is 2 miles wide (at its widest) and 32 miles long. The area for you is town from 20th st to 61st st, Haborside to Seawall. Galveston's areas are all mixed with only the downtown area a true business area. Harborside is all industrial and Port related except between 20th and 25th St. with restaurants on the Port side and across the street from The Strand.

you can find more information on galvestonhistory.org, Galveston.com and numerous travel sites.

Thank you so much. This is what I was looking for. I really wanted to know what areas had good hotels and decent restaurants within walking distance.

We will look into the car rental thing but may do the Galveston Express from airport. Thanks for all the information.

• 9 months later...
Pretty much spot on to what we are doing as well! :) When booking this cruise I didn't realize how much it would cost to get from the airport to Galveston via shuttle! OY :eek:

We opted to do the following:

-Fly into IAH (Seattle only flies into IAH) on Saturday (day before cruise)

-Got a rental car from Budget on priceline dot com (airport to texas city/sat-sun) then Uber/taxi to pier on sunday

*like you said ended up being much cheaper and we even got insurance on the car :D

-Decided to stay near Texas City since that's where the rental car is via Airbnb dot com vs hotel (but we have a car to zip around town and the time)

-also not flying out till the day after the cruise (monday night) so we have almost 2 full days so we decided to rent a car thru budget again after the cruise on priceline dot com :p

I leave this weekend so I can come and report back if anyone is interested :D

I'd like to know how your cruise went, both good and bad. Also interested in the logistics going from airport to cruise terminal and back.

I booked Liberty of the Seas on April 2 2017, then started researching how to get from the Houston area to the port. The problem is I have 5 people, so the transfers get expensive. Since I'm arriving 2 days prior to the cruise in order to see the space center, I'll have a rental car for 2 days minimum, and it appears to be about the same price to rent the car for the entire length of the cruise and park it at the port vs. rent for only 2 days and pay for a R/T shuttle. Would you say this is as good an option as a one-way rental to Texas City plus the cab ride to the port?

On Tuesday I booked four consecutive cruises in February and March, so we'll have three days between cruises to "explore" Galveston where neither of us has ever been. Would you be willing to offer some suggestions from your personal viewpoint on "seeing and doing?" We are golden seniors, DH walks with a cane, and while we're not shoppers, per se, DH is a "wristwatch connoisseur" and I am a "footwear enthusiast;" we both love gadgets....

On Tuesday I booked four consecutive cruises in February and March, so we'll have three days between cruises to "explore" Galveston where neither of us has ever been. Would you be willing to offer some suggestions from your personal viewpoint on "seeing and doing?" We are golden seniors, DH walks with a cane, and while we're not shoppers, per se, DH is a "wristwatch connoisseur" and I am a "footwear enthusiast;" we both love gadgets....

Congratulations on your "4" cruises!

You don't state your dates so be aware of Mardi Gras from February 17th to February 28th. Weekends will be packed and hotel rates go up. Fat Tuesday (February 28th) is basically just locals who go downtown to see the parades. But the weekend prior is the BIG weekend with 250,000+ visiting the Island.

There are a multitude of things to do and see in Galveston.

The Strand has many shops (shoes included!), but so does Post Office with shops, restaurants and numerous galleries.

Museums abound - Lone Star Flight Museum, Bishop's Palace, J. P. Bryan Museum (a must), Tall ship Elissa, Great storm movie theater( 20 minute movies also show: Immigration into Galveston and Jean Lafitte, the Pirate). Moody Mansion, Railroad Museum to name few.

Again, I recommend checking out galvestonhistory.org and Galveston.com for events, places to go and see and restaurants.

A car does help when here a number of days, but taxis are available and, as nothing is far, relatively inexpensive. A car gives you more options. Enterprise is the only car rental on the island.

We are "seniors" also; don't know about the "golden"! But we love our island and are always busy doing something. In fact, we go away to get rest; generally on a cruise ship since we are 20 blocks to the port!

Information provided by Galveston.com

25 Things to Do on Galveston Island Without Hitting the Beach

By: Leah Cast | Monday, March 16, 2015

Attractions of GalvestonGalveston Island is a beautiful, historic beach destination known for its great weather all year round. But, if you’re not a sand-between-your-toes kind of traveler, don’t worry. There are plenty of things to do in Galveston that don’t include the beach, which is what makes our charming little island so diverse and special.

Here’s a list of 25 non-beach activities to consider:

Stroll The Strand in historic downtown Galveston, known for its charming Victorian iron-front buildings that house boutiques, shops, restaurants and more!

Play at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, featuring thrill rides, midway games, food and entertainment.

Explore the glass pyramids of family resort Moody Gardens. Here you can tour through a living rainforest replica, one of the largest aquariums in Texas and check out cool exhibits in the Discovery Museum.

Marvel at the beauty of the 1892 Bishop’s Palace with a tour of this majestic historic mansion.

Splash into fun at Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark, known for the best indoor water park in the world!

Learn about the rare historic airplanes housed at the Lone Star Flight Museum with a visit to this “war bird” museum.

Enjoy the eclectic flair of Galveston’s culinary scene. Need suggestions? Check out our Galveston Island Food Guide.

Take a walking/biking tour of the Galveston Tree Sculptures, beautiful sculptures created from trees destroyed during Hurricane Ike.

Tour or watch a live show at The Grand 1894 Opera House. This gem of a theater has no seat further than 70 feet from the stage.

Visit LaKing’s Confectionery to see its master candy maker make saltwater taffy the old-fashioned way. Don’t forget to grab some goodies for the road!

Explore the history of pirates in Galveston at the interactive museum Pirates! Legends of the Gulf Coast.

Tour a retired oilrig at the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum.

Walk aboard the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA to see how sailors lived more than a hundred years ago!

Search family immigration history at the Texas Seaport Museum. Did you know Galveston was second in immigration to Ellis Island?

Visit the 1895 Moody Mansion for a tour of this gorgeous home, which has been restored to its turn-of-the-century splendor.

Get spooked at the Haunted Mayfield Manor – Texas’ only year-round haunted house.

Learn about locomotive history at the Galveston Railroad Museum, boasting one of the largest restored railroad collections in the southwest.

Learn about Galveston’s history and the worst natural disaster in U.S. by watching The Great Storm documentary at Pier 21 Theater.

Take an African-American Historic Places Tour and discover many of the African American firsts that happened in Galveston!

Peruse the many art galleries located on and surrounding Postoffice Street – just a few blocks from The Strand. After stopping in Rene Wiley Gallery, be sure to grab a beverage at MOD Coffeehouse next door.

Hit the green and play a round of golf at the Moody Gardens Golf Course.

Visit Rosenberg Library – the oldest public library in Texas.

Have a relaxing stay at one of Galveston’s many resorts, hotels, beach houses, condos or bed & breakfasts. Sometimes sleeping in is what vacation is all about!

Make a spa date at any of Galveston’s luxurious spas.

For sure entertainment, catch a show at the Island ETC Theater.

Article written by Leah Cast

Information According to Galveston.com

Home » Connect » Trip Planning Tools

Galveston Island is a historic beach town located on the Gulf of Mexico just 50 miles from Houston. The island is best known as a vacation destination, offering 32 miles of beaches, a variety of family attractions, Texas's premier cruise port, and one of the largest and well-preserved concentrations of Victorian architecture in the country, including several National Historic Landmarks. Galveston Island is home to popular amusements such as Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark, as well as a variety of museums and recreational activities from surfing to birding.

Even better? The incredible number of wonderful things to do that are either completely free of charge, or extremely affordable! Take a look at few below!

Galveston Island Pass

Get your passport to adventure and savings with the new Galveston Island Pass. Load your pass with four or more participating attractions and save 40% off regular admission prices. This is a great deal as the pass is good for 30 days after purchase. Galveston Island Pass is available online at http://www.galvestonislandpass.com.

Stay Mid-Week and Save!

If you're looking for a way to save on accommodations, consider staying mid-week. Rates in Galveston are significantly lower for those choosing to book their overnight stays Sunday through Thursday. Click here to check other lodging options, rates and availability.

Galveston Tree Sculpture Tour

After Hurricane Ike, optimistic island residents worked with area sculptors to transform damaged oak trees into breathtaking tree sculptures that are now the focus of the Galveston Tree Sculptures Tour. The 30-plus sculptures are tucked into gardens and nestled in side yards throughout the island's East End Historic District for the public to enjoy and find. Click here for an interactive tour.

Movie & Music Nights on The Strand

Grab your chairs, blankets and pillows and head to Saengerfest Park in downtown Galveston for a free family-friendly movie or concert under the stars. Films are held the first Saturday of each month beginning at dusk. Concerts are held every second and fourth Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m. Both events run March through October. For more information, visit the Galveston.com calendar.

Ferry Ride + Dolphin Watch

Galveston's Bolivar Ferry is well known across the Lone Star State. This free and roughly 20-minute ride each way between Port Bolivar and Galveston is an entertaining diversion from the beaches and historic districts that are the biggest Galveston tourist draw. During this voyage, you can also get a close look at graceful dolphins as they swim by. For details, click here.

Stroll the Strand

The downtown area offers an intriguing selection of shops, restaurants, galleries and museums within a perfect radius for self-guided tours. The Victorian architecture of Strand Street, widely known as The Strand, makes for a charming stroll. Saegnerfest Park at 23rd and Strand is a free family park home to a life-size chessboard and is often home to live entertainment. Be sure to also check out the art galleries and shops found on Postoffice Street. Check out current downtown events by clicking here.

ArtWalk

Held every six weeks, ArtWalk is a free event where Galveston's downtown art galleries open their doors to the public for an evening of art viewing, live entertainment and refreshments from 6 to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. The Galveston Arts Center hosts this event March through November. For a schedule, vist our interactive ArtWalk section.

Enjoy Seawall Beach

Galveston has the longest continuous sidewalk in America on its beachfront Seawall Boulevard, making room for a wide variety of free outdoor activities. Enjoy the beach by swimming or playing beach volleyball or hit the pavement for biking or running. Watching a breath-taking sunrise or sunset on the Seawall is priceless.

Old-Fashioned Taffy-Making at La King's Confectionery

La King's Confectionery in downtown Galveston is sure to make your trip to the island that much sweeter. Not only can you delight in homemade old-fashioned candies and ice cream, you can watch it being made. The shop hosts free salt water taffy-making demonstrations daily during peak tourism season. For more information, click here.

Birding 101

Galveston is one of the top locations for birding in the United States with more than 300 species of birds that migrate through the island during spring and fall migrations. This free birding brochure will guide you to the island's nature hotspots. Moody Gardens and the Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council host a series of free "Birding 101" classes to educate and excite people about the bird life on the island. For more information, visit http://www.moodygardens.org.

Galveston Island State Park

The Galveston Island State Park offers a wide variety of outdoor activities that are free to participate in. While each person must pay a $5 parking charge to get into the park, families can enjoy kayak tours, beach and surf explorations, bird walks, nature field trips and fishing clinics at no cost. Many activities require advance sign-up. The park's Nature Center is open on Saturdays and Sundays March through November showing nature displays and videos pertaining to the park's plant and marine life. For more information, visit fogisp.wordpress.com.

Fishing in Galveston

In Galveston, anyone with a Texas fishing license can fish for free! From beachfront fishing to offshore overnight fishing, you can enjoy a variety of fishing on this island. Don't forget to bring your catch to local restaurants. Many will turn your fresh catch to an unforgettable dinner. For more information, please click here.

Visit Galveston Museums

Galveston is home to many affordable museums that highlight science as well as Galveston's unique history. A new pirate museum, Pirates! Legends of the Gulf Coast, recently opened on the Strand. Downtown is also home to the Galveston Railroad Museum, Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig and Museum, Pier 21 Theater, Texas Seaport Museum and the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA. These museums range in price from $2 to $8. The nearby Rosenberg Library Museum on Sealy Street is free!

Free Parking at Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Waterpark

At any tourist destination, parking can be a pain. But Galveston is an exception! Adventure resort Moody Gardens and family fun paradise Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark both offer visitors free parking. For more information on these attractions, visit http://www.moodygardens.org and http://schlitterbahn.com/gal.

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston.com

Home » Connect » Blogs

Downtown Galveston is a Seafood Lover's Paradise

By: Robert Stanton - Isle Guy | Monday, August 29, 2016

Galveston loves its seafood, and the island’s historic downtown district is serving it up in royal fashion, fit for a king and queen.

Downtown Galveston offers a virtual smorgasbord of choices when it comes to landing some of the best seafood on the Texas Gulf Coast. Just ask the folks who know first-hand, and that would be you!

Visitors to Downtown Galveston’s Facebook page are making their voices heard on their top seafood spots. We posted this question to our readers:

“Okay BOI and other Galvestonians and friends and fans: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SEAFOOD PLACE IN HISTORIC DOWNTOWN GALVESTON?

To be sure, downtown dining is a dream come true for seafood lovers, both locals and visitors alike. There are seafood restaurants on just about every corner and block. They include:

Nonno Tony’s Seafood Kitchen

2100 Harborside Dr.

Phone: 409-621-5200

Olympia Grill at Pier 21

100 21st St.

Phone: 409-765-0021

Note that Olympia was selected winner of “Best Greek,” “Best Happy Hour,” and “Best Waterfront Dining” in the 2015 Galveston.com Best of Galveston Awards.

Black Pearl

327 23rd St.

Ph: 409-762-7299

Little Daddy’s Gumbo Bar

2107 Postoffice St.

Ph: 409-744-8626

Rudy & Paco

2028 Postoffice St.

Ph: 409-762-3696

Fisherman’s Wharf

2200 Harborside Dr.

Ph: 409-765-5708

Saltwater Grill

2017 Postoffice St.

Ph: 409-762-3474

Shrimp ‘N Stuff Downtown

216 23rd St.

Ph: 409-974-4609

Sky Bar Steak & Sushi Bar

2105 Postoffice St.

Ph: 409-621-4759

Willie G’s

2100 Harborside Dr.

Ph: 409-762-3030

Visitors to our site shared their thoughts about the island’s seafood scene. Here’s what they had to say:

“This BOI's favorite seafood place is The Black Pearl!!,” wrote Pat Bennett Head.

Cory Clark agreed, writing, “I'm gonna go with Black Pearl. Especially when they run specials.”

“If the port counts as downtown, I'd say Nonno Tony's,” stated Dan Braverman.

Donna Woods-Stellman agreed, saying, “Nono Toni's and Shrimp n' Stuff Downtown.”

And Malyssa Mancill voiced her choices, writing, “We love Sky Bar, we go there almost once a week. Saltwater Grill is a great choice as well.”

We agree with all of you, and for good reason: When it comes to Texas Gulf Coast seafood, downtown Galveston rocks!

galvestonhistory.org

moodygardens.com/attractions/

The Bryan Museum is home to the world's largest collection of historical artifacts, documents, and artwork relating to the Southwestern United States.

Learn More.

The Bryan Museum, founded by Mary Jon and J.P. Bryan, is the result of their lifetime commitment to historic preservation and education.

The Bryan Museum houses the largest collection of its kind in the world. With 70,000 items spanning 12,000 years, it includes treasures ranging from ancient Native American cultural artifacts to 21st century pieces—rare German, French, Spanish, and English documents; exquisite saddles; spurs; antique firearms; exceptionally rare maps and books; fine art; religious and folk art; portraits; and documents.

The West as it will never be seen again!

Edited by ssb