Need an Extended Stay Hotel

American couple wanting to stay for 10-14 days in London Next April May 2017. Are there any extended stay type hotels that have kitchens, and laundry for clothes washing in the London area near transportation and entertainment.

What you want to be doing is searching for 'self-catering' rentals, through the usual suspects - VRBO, Homeaway, AirBNB and the like. Lots of options in London - and as London is VAST, you really need to narrow down your preferred area a bit.

With that long to stay, you should really consider moving out of London part way through. While there is plenty to do and places to visit in London; enough to fill months not weeks, there are also many places outside that might be just as memorable.

Since we have no idea what kind of thing you like, it's difficult to make recommendations, but there is some beautiful countryside, cathedrals and historic houses and castles that are also well worth your time. The added advantage is that hotels out of the capital are a lot better value for money.

Edited by Bob++

I also agree with moving out of central London and an apartment would be far better. Within London you could look at Citadines properties.

You might want to break up your stay to a week in Lomdon and the second week at a smaller city from where you can do some trips out in the countryside.

As you say, a self catering apartment is ideal for longer stays and I prefer the serviced apartments to VRBO, etc, even though I have successfully used the latter in the past. We've booked a three bedroom apartment at Vancouver Studios for next June, it's in the Bayswater area, we also have free cancellation till 72 hours before.

Most places will offer a weekly discount, be sure to ask!

Friends have stayed at Fraser Suites in Knightsbridge and Dolphin House in Westminster. Citadines is also said to be good, they have apartments at several locations in town.

http://vancouverstudios.co.uk/en/apartments

http://london-queensgate.frasershospitality.com/en

http://www.dolphinsquare.co.uk/dolphin-house/apartments/

Edited by prish

Thanks to everyone. We will be staying in the Waterloo district. Opinions on Premier Inn. Also restaurants in the Waterloo District. We would like to be near the train station.

I wouldn't stay at a Premier Inn for 10-14 days. Waterloo is OK, but there are so many transport options that I wouldn't restrict myself to looking in that area. Heck, just cross the river 5 minutes and you're in the heart of Westminster, with many more options.

Opinions on Premier Inn.
I wouldn't stay at a Premier Inn for 10-14 days.
A few weeks ago, I stayed in a Premier Inn for the first time, for one night. In future, if on some trip it really made sense to do so, I would grit my teeth and stay in one again for one night. I would not do two consecutive nights in one, let alone 10-14 days.
Also restaurants in the Waterloo District.
There are lots, including some decent ones. But why restrict yourself to restaurants there? Even if you stay in the area, you're within 20-30 minutes walk of hundreds of restaurants in Covent Garden and the West End. If you're in London for a couple of weeks, you're not going to hole up in your hotel every evening, or even in its vicinity.

I agree that I wouldn't want to stay in a Premier Inn for more than a couple of nights. There is not really anything wrong with them and they serve a purpose

If I was staying in a city for more than about 4 nights I would prefer an apartment. I enjoy going out to eat in restaurants, but not every lunch and dinner time. In an apartment you have the facilities to make food, whether it be a snack or three course meal. You have a chair and sofa if you want to relax and watch TV.

You can also buy local food at a market and possibly try things you don't have at home. London can be very expensive if you eat out all the time.

I don't think I would choose to stay in Waterloo. Have a look at the Bloomsbury area which is very central.

Premier Inn is just about the exact opposite to what you originally enquired about. So that's a little confusing :) Is this a budget decision?

With so few details it's hard to give much advice (why do you want to be near Waterloo station?), but I wonder if you are looking for a combination of location, features and price that simply doesn't exist in central London.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

If you have that long in UK you really should try some other areas as well. We just had a couple of days in York which is great in itself and is a good base to see other places as well. It is 2 hour train ride from London and tickets can be quite cheap (we paid £87 return for two).

Thanks to everyone. We will be staying in the Waterloo district. Opinions on Premier Inn. Also restaurants in the Waterloo District. We would like to be near the train station.

Go on http://www.cottages4you.com also Bluechip holidays , we have used both,,last year we went to Sherringham in Yorkshire love it,this year we are going to the Isle of Wright.

We got the two together train pass cost £30 good for one year and you get 30% of each person.

Christine

There is a real food market on the south bank by the Festival Hall where you can get lots of different good food 'on the run'.

Masters fish and chips on Waterloo road is good. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1017390-Reviews-Masters_Superfish-London_England.html

I appreciate that you have said that you are going to stay in the Waterloo area but if you haven't booked yet I woukd recommend that you take a look at dolphin square.co.uk which is a hotel with facilties that you are looking for. It's very pleasant indeed. Also Citadines properties in various locations around the city are very good too. Others on this thread have recommended both for long stays and I woukd agree that if you are wanting laundry and cooking facilities then these would fit the bill perfectly. Dolphin square also has restaurants, swimming pool and a small selection of shops in the basement.

• 2 weeks later...