Waikiki Cheaper eats?

Cruiseoholic000

I know Waikiki for dinner isn't cheap $20-30 for a entree. Does anyone have any recommendations on places that are tasty but a little cheaper? Anyone eaten at Lulu's Restaurant?

We did in 2014, I had garlic crusted ahi and Marie had Maryland Mahi. Food was excellent though I don't recall it being inexpensive.

I always recommend Lu Lu's on CC. It is our go to restaurant. On our recent visit we learned that it has changed management, and had a bit of a decor change but still pretty much the same. Our favorite is the Kalua pork nachos. One night we went to LuLu's after enjoying music and cocktails at the Banyan Court and the wait for two sitting on the ledge overlooking Waikiki or Kapiolani Park was about 30 minutes. As we were waiting the wait extended to 1 1/2 hours. We were seated where we requested and were happy when the server suggested a half order of the nachos, instead of the full order. We still had enough left for them to package up for us to leave in Kapiolani for those less fortunate. Servings are huge and we often share. They have a good happy hour which we enjoyed with our young adult kids. I think it begins at 3:00. We are always happy with two mai tais and an order of pork nachos. It has been a long time favorite of our kids. Their breakfasts are also good, and you can't beat the view if you sit on the ledge, a long bar area bordering the corner of the restaurant. They used to take reservations and still may, so if you know when you want to go, make a reservation. Cherie

I know Waikiki for dinner isn't cheap $20-30 for a entree. Does anyone have any recommendations on places that are tasty but a little cheaper? Anyone eaten at Lulu's Restaurant?

Look at Duke's Barefoot Bar for Happy Hour specials.

The Barefoot Beach Cafe is the place in Kapiolani Park and also the Barefoot Bar at Hale Koa. Hale Koa is a DOD hotel, but you can eat and drink at the Barefoot Bar and it has good bar eats.

There is also the Harbor Pub.

TripAdvisor has a whole topic on "cheap eats Oahu".

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k5649368-Cheap_Eats_Honolulu_and_Oahu-Oahu_Hawaii.html

Duke's Barefoot Bar does not have a happy hour. The Hula Grill upstairs does, from 3-6, but seating on the balcony is not available.

This is from our experiences last week. We first went to Duke's which we had enjoyed earlier in the week. Then because of lack of seating and nothing special we went to a favorite, the Banyan Court at the Moana. There is not another spot we enjoy more, even the Halekulani. The atmosphere, island music and dancing, and F&B bring us back. Hard to beat. JMO Cherie

Thank you for the info. There may be a group of six of us going so yes reservations are a must.

I wish they had prices on their menu online.

I always recommend Lu Lu's on CC. It is our go to restaurant. On our recent visit we learned that it has changed management, and had a bit of a decor change but still pretty much the same. Our favorite is the Kalua pork nachos. One night we went to LuLu's after enjoying music and cocktails at the Banyan Court and the wait for two sitting on the ledge overlooking Waikiki or Kapiolani Park was about 30 minutes. As we were waiting the wait extended to 1 1/2 hours. We were seated where we requested and were happy when the server suggested a half order of the nachos, instead of the full order. We still had enough left for them to package up for us to leave in Kapiolani for those less fortunate. Servings are huge and we often share. They have a good happy hour which we enjoyed with our young adult kids. I think it begins at 3:00. We are always happy with two mai tais and an order of pork nachos. It has been a long time favorite of our kids. Their breakfasts are also good, and you can't beat the view if you sit on the ledge, a long bar area bordering the corner of the restaurant. They used to take reservations and still may, so if you know when you want to go, make a reservation. Cherie

Not sure if you are looking for sit down eats or to include take and go?

We are headed there in November and I've been looking at places alot - here is what I have that would be considered cheap for the Waikiki area.

Me Bar-B-Que

Marukame Udon

Musubi Cafe Iyasume

Nabeya Maido

Ono Seafood

The bar menu at Dukes was pretty reasonable - I always got the fish tacos...

BUT, for cheap eats, my all-time favorite spot in Waikiki is the Marukame Udon!!! It's at 2310 Kuhio, one block behind Kalakaua, via Dukes Lane. Fresh, house-made udon noodles in a variety of styles/broths, and all kinds of tempura. It's kind of a Lido/Windjammer setup - you get in line (and sometimes it is a LONG line out the door, down the street, it's that good!), get your tray, go down the line, order your udon, move further, get your udon, move further, pick your tempura, get your drink glass, pay the cashier (CASH ONLY), find a table, eat. There is absolutely NO table saving in this place.

I get a regular (there were 2 sizes) bowl of Ontame Bukkake Udon and then several pieces of whatever veggie tempura calls to me (pumpkin, mushroom, squash, sweet potato, asparagus, eggplant...) and a glass for tea. I waddle out of there, totally full and happy. I don't think I've ever paid more than $13 all-in. (given that was 3 years ago) You can look at their website/menu at http://www.toridollusa.com and search for the Waikiki location. It's still #10 on TA for Honolulu restaurants.

Edited by slidergirl

Although restaurants in general are a little expensive in Waikiki, we have never had a problem finding inexpensive restaurants that provide good quality food.

In general, I'd suggest that you check out the restaurants that are located two blocks from the beachfront. Those that are located in hotels along the beach are expensive.

http://WaikikiBeach.ca

• 1 month later...
NOTHING is "inexpensive" in Hawaii.....even a McDonalds burger (ick) is about 150 % more expensive than in the largest continental city.....Islands have to ship everything in...so it costs more!

People in the know do not go to Mickey Ds for a burger, you go for the saimin...;)

Everything is NOT expensive. You just have to get out and away from the tourist traps. $13 all-in for a more than filling meal at Marukame, plate lunch or dinner up at Diamond Head Market for around $13, head to Piggy Smalls at Ward Center for great Vietnamese food from The Pig and The Lady. I shake my head when I walk down the main drag in Waikiki and see people lined up outside Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gumps, Cheeseburger in Paradise...

The Islands do not ship everything in - there is a fantastic locavore movement going on, especially with produce. And, you cannot go wrong with locally-fished seafood!!!