Long Island to Bayonne Question

Overtyme

We're going on Anthem in June out of Bayonne.

We're a family of four (8 yo and 3 yo) leaving from Long Island.

My older daughter has been itching to go in a limo, which at one point seemed like it might make sense.

Thinking about it now, trying to find our limo on debarkation day might be a real pain.

Also, price wise, RT is probably around $450!

Parking at the pier seems pretty reasonable and will probably set us back only half of that, but i'm concerned that by the time we get there, there won't be spaces.

Some posts suggest that capacity is limited during certain weeks, but I haven't seen anything from anyone who has gotten there and not found parking.

I've also read that there are local hotels that offer shuttles for guests.

I'm wondering if that's the best of both worlds, even if we don't actually stay at the hotel (just book a room and head to the hotel the day of).

Any suggestions? What do you do when you cruise out of Bayonne?

My older daughter has been itching to go in a limo, which at one point seemed like it might make sense.

Thinking about it now, trying to find our limo on debarkation day might be a real pain.

Parking at the pier seems pretty reasonable and will probably set us back only half of that, but i'm concerned that by the time we get there, there won't be spaces.

Some posts suggest that capacity is limited during certain weeks, but I haven't seen anything from anyone who has gotten there and not found parking.

I'm wondering if that's the best of both worlds, even if we don't actually stay at the hotel (just book a room and head to the hotel the day of).

No one has ever complained about not being able to park at Bayonne. Even if the new parking garage were to fill up, there should still be outside lot parking.

If you plan to be at the port by 10:30-11:00, you should have no problems. If the Bayonne Bridge from Staten Island to Bayonne is closed that day, you just stay on I278 west to the Goethals Bridge and take the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A. For a 5 day cruise parking is $95 and for a 9 day cruise it is $171.

• 2 weeks later...

For us it is a lot easier to go to and from LI to Bayonne than to and from Manhattan.

Thank you! We're wondering if we should stay at a hotel overnight in NJ since we realistically won't be able to get out in the morning before 10:30.

I'm curious what we can expect at 12:30 when we arrive. Ideally, we would get there at 10:30, but it's a 2 hour drive.

Thank you! We're wondering if we should stay at a hotel overnight in NJ since we realistically won't be able to get out in the morning before 10:30.

I'm curious what we can expect at 12:30 when we arrive. Ideally, we would get there at 10:30, but it's a 2 hour drive.

You would be good candidates for a park/cruise on Staten Island. Figure $171 to park at the port for 9 days plus the NJ bridge toll plus NJ Turnpike tolls for a total of $180-188. If you buy a park/cruise package from Hampton Inn, Hilton Gardens, or Holiday Inn on Staten Island, you will get the hotel room for a very reasonable price. Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens have been discussed a lot on this forum. Here's a recent thread about Holiday Inn - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221471&highlight=holiday+staten

For the price of parking at the pier compared to the hotel stay, I would choose the overnight hotel stay and let the shuttle get you to the pier. It would be fun for the kids to stay in the hotel, have breakfast, and head to the ship. It would be a lot more relaxing for mom and dad too. The cost for either would be about the same. We have done both the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn. Both are nice but I think our favorite is the Hampton Inn.

For the price of parking at the pier compared to the hotel stay, I would choose the overnight hotel stay and let the shuttle get you to the pier. It would be fun for the kids to stay in the hotel, have breakfast, and head to the ship. It would be a lot more relaxing for mom and dad too. The cost for either would be about the same. We have done both the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn. Both are nice but I think our favorite is the Hampton Inn.

Thank You! Vacations is supposed to be relaxing, right?

When we cruise out of Florida or San Juan, we always fly down a day before and back the day after so that we're never in a rush [emoji4]

Your cruise leaves at 4 pm. That means you have to be at the pier by 2:30 pm. Apparently you can't leave home until 10:30 am and you say it takes 2 hours under normal circumstances. That leaves you only 2 hours of wiggle room, which is not a lot of time in the NY metro area on a weekday.

Your cruise leaves at 4 pm. That means you have to be at the pier by 2:30 pm. Apparently you can't leave home until 10:30 am and you say it takes 2 hours under normal circumstances. That leaves you only 2 hours of wiggle room, which is not a lot of time in the NY metro area on a weekday.

Yes the point is either way, the Holland Tunnel way or Bayonne Bridge is equally bad. I'm missing the reason you can't leave before 10:30 am. Maybe adjust to leave at 9:30 am

• 9 months later...
From Long Island LIE exit 63.

On Saturday morning Verrazano or Holland Tunnel?

Any recent travelers thoughts or experiences?

If you are going to go the Verrazano route, make sure the Bayonne bridge is open. If you get to Staten Island and its closed, its way longer via Goethals/NJTPK/14A. If you are sure the BB is open, it would be easier than the HT.

If you are going to go the Verrazano route, make sure the Bayonne bridge is open. If you get to Staten Island and its closed, its way longer via Goethals/NJTPK/14A. If you are sure the BB is open, it would be easier than the HT.

Thank you!