Juneau car rental help needed

alpine240

Hi Everyone,

will need to rent a van for our cruise there in July of next year. We have 8 people in our group so looking to rent a large SUV or van.

I found Juneau Car rental, but a little hesitant to use them due to reviews of their cars being so old.

I see that there are some options at the Juneau airport.

Do you suggest we use one of the name brand rental sites (avis, budget, etc) and avoid Juneau Car rental? I dont mind paying a little more and dont mind having to trek a little further to the rental office.

Hmmm..how far of a walk would you say the airport is to where the PRincess cruise usually docks at?

Thanks for your help!

The airport is about 8 miles from where you will be docked. We’ve always used Juneau Car Rental and although old, the cars are in decent shape. If you haven’t, you might contact the agencies to see if they even have a vehicle available for 8. I believe Avis is located downtown. Juneau Car Rental is about 1 miles south of where you will be docked, unless you are at the AJ Dock in which case they are one block away.

oh man...8-9 miles is too far! hahaha, thought it would be a mile or two.

just worried as some reviews of Juneau Car Rental state really run down cars that are on the verge of breaking down.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with Juneau Car Rental?

Thanks again!!!!

Edited by alpine240

I have taken the public bus from downtown to the airport to pick up a rental car. It actually is not bad at all, since most likely you would be heading that way with the car if you rented downtown. At certain times of the day (mainly rush hour) there is an express bus. Depends on what your plans are, how big of a "hassle" you see public transit is (very little hassle to me), etc.

I've been informed the Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel (about 1 mile from pier, downtown) has closed. This is very recent because a few months ago I was hoping to book and a few weeks ago I tried to book and it couldn't find the Goldbelt Avis so I called. They did kind of imply it may only be temporary but hasn't changed in the past month.

I've been informed the Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel (about 1 mile from pier, downtown) has closed. This is very recent because a few months ago I was hoping to book and a few weeks ago I tried to book and it couldn't find the Goldbelt Avis so I called. They did kind of imply it may only be temporary but hasn't changed in the past month.

They were at the Rivergold Hotel, 51 Egan Drive. Did you call this number 907-789-7999?

Address is the same :-). Seems the Goldbelt is now the Rivergold. But under Avis only the airport is showing. I called the hotel number and it defaulted to Avis at the airport. They knew the Goldbelt didn't have Avis and kind of implied Avis may reopen there but no time frame. She didn't mention the hotel had changed hands. I also called the General Avis number and their comment was if it isn't showing on the computer when you try to book it doesn't exist.

We used Avis at the Goldbelt years ago and it was great, the "no name" ones seem to all have mixed reviews so I'm a little nervous about them. Will keep lurking and hoping others find a good solution.

Address is the same :-). Seems the Goldbelt is now the Rivergold. But under Avis only the airport is showing. I called the hotel number and it defaulted to Avis at the airport. They knew the Goldbelt didn't have Avis and kind of implied Avis may reopen there but no time frame. She didn't mention the hotel had changed hands. I also called the General Avis number and their comment was if it isn't showing on the computer when you try to book it doesn't exist.

We used Avis at the Goldbelt years ago and it was great, the "no name" ones seem to all have mixed reviews so I'm a little nervous about them. Will keep lurking and hoping others find a good solution.

So, what happens when you call the number I gave you?

So, what happens when you call the number I gave you?

That number was the Goldbelt Avis hotel number and is the one I called and was picked up by the Avis at the airport so they must have forwarded the number. Sorry I wasn't clear. As of right now the only Avis is at the airport.

I'm extremely happy to read that the avis at the goldbelt is closed. They seriously screwed us on our day in Juneau. I'll be even happier when the goldbelt hotel is closed and hopefully demolished to the last brick. They sent me to the homeless shelter (aka bus station) when I desperately needed to make a short, local phone call.

I'm extremely happy to read that the avis at the goldbelt is closed. They seriously screwed us on our day in Juneau. I'll be even happier when the goldbelt hotel is closed and hopefully demolished to the last brick. They sent me to the homeless shelter (aka bus station) when I desperately needed to make a short, local phone call.

So what happened? How did you get screwed?

So what happened? How did you get screwed?

I was there at the appointed time to rent a reserved car and they were not. I waited half an hour then had to leave for alternate transport options. Then the goldbelt had the nerve to treat me like one of the area homeless population when I needed to place a short, local phone call. They can both go down in flames and I'll get the marshmallow's ready to roast. Yes, I am a vindictive SOB and they both screwed me in May 2016!

Edited by flatlander321

I was there at the appointed time to rent a reserved car and they were not. I waited half an hour then had to leave for alternate transport options. Then the goldbelt had the nerve to treat me like one of the area homeless population when I needed to place a short, local phone call. They can both go down in flames and I'll get the marshmallow's ready to roast. Yes, I am a vindictive SOB and they both screwed me in May 2016!

The car rental places are often busy when the ships get in. It's not unusual to have to wait in line while they help others. If you were in a hurry to get somewhere and didn't have extra time to wait in line, maybe a rental car was not the best option for you.

I don't see how referring you to a nearby payphone is treating you like a homeless person. Most people would just have used their cell phones. :rolleyes:

The car rental places are often busy when the ships get in. It's not unusual to have to wait in line while they help others. If you were in a hurry to get somewhere and didn't have extra time to wait in line, maybe a rental car was not the best option for you.

I don't see how referring you to a nearby payphone is treating you like a homeless person. Most people would just have used their cell phones. :rolleyes:

There was NO avis agent to rent a car to anyone. I would have liked to use my cell phone, but it didn't work there. Instead, I got to deal with the goldbelt staff attitude. :mad:

I've used Juneau car rental for many years and am quite pleased with them. Their cars are several years old, but well maintained. The owner lives in Juneau year round, and I have always found the staff to be VERY helpful. One time when I was returning the car, the owner happened to be stopping by (the office was closed), and he gave us a ride back to the ship. Probably the biggest problem for many people is walking to the AJ dock to get the car. As others have said, it's about a mile away, but I don't find the walk to be a deterrent. I also like supporting local companies.

I've used Juneau car rental for many years and am quite pleased with them. Their cars are several years old, but well maintained. The owner lives in Juneau year round, and I have always found the staff to be VERY helpful. One time when I was returning the car, the owner happened to be stopping by (the office was closed), and he gave us a ride back to the ship. Probably the biggest problem for many people is walking to the AJ dock to get the car. As others have said, it's about a mile away, but I don't find the walk to be a deterrent. I also like supporting local companies.

that is good to hear! My biggest fear is having a super old car and the possibility of having a break down in the middle of nowhere. Last thing I want is the car to break down and miss our departure on the boat!

by the way, how hard or easy is something like tow service in Juneau in case of car troubles?

Probably the biggest problem for many people is walking to the AJ dock to get the car. As others have said, it's about a mile away, but I don't find the walk to be a deterrent. I also like supporting local companies.

If there’s a ship at the AJ Dock there will be a bus transporting passengers from the dock to the pull through area in front of the tram. I think it was 4 bucks that is paid at the dock. Returning to the ship was free. Juneau Car Rental is about 1 block from the AJ Dock where the bus departs from. I walked to pick up the car last summer and took the bus back after dropping it off.