Reykjavik Hotel Suggestion

We stayed at the Hotel Hilda, a bed and breakfast for 8 days a couple of years ago. It is near the harbor and we could walk everywhere. Breakfast was good. I have no idea how it is now but we really liked it. I picked it because it was reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've stayed at Reykjavik Residence Hotel twice. Once with a large group in a 3 bedroom unit, once just two of us upgraded to a 2 bedroom. They have regular rooms as well. It's well situated, one street off the main shopping area, so quiet, and central - 10 minutes walk from both ends of the district. The front desk has always been very friendly and helpful. Their breakfast is delivered daily to your room and includes fresh bread, fruit, cheese, yogurt, meat, and eggs. If you don't eat like a lumberjack, it's easily enough for breakfast and a light lunch.

Be aware that downtown Reykjavik (101 area) is know for it's weekend music scene. It's a great place to be, but check reviews for ambient noise on the weekends. You don't want to find out you're above a night club if that's not your thing.

I booked a studio apartment for 2 nights using Airbnb. There are tons of places listed, and I read that some people in Reykjavik are having problems renting an apartment because so many people are renting via Airbnb. The place that appealed to me the most was $108 a night in the 101 area (on Eriksgata near the towering church) and had beautiful, modern artwork on the walls. The host, Ingibjorg, didn't charge for cleaning, so the total was $242 for 2 nights in June, which seems cheaper than the guest houses and hotels. It's a 15 minute walk to the BSI bus terminal where the Flybus from the airport comes. It's maybe 15-20 minutes to the area around the lake, Parliament, etc. This place seemed to get booked up (or else not offered for renting) really fast, so I would not wait too long if you want to find a place there that's convenient and reasonable. Watch the cancellation policies, though - they're usually stricter than that of a hotel. I suppose it's possible more places will be added later. if there aren't too many now.

I've only done Airbnb once, but it worked out really well, so I'm giving it another try.

Just be aware that Iceland is cracking down on airbnb, limiting how many nights/year folks can rent out their units and requiring licenses. We are beginning to hear about guests getting notices from the owners that they have to cancel upcoming reservations due to these laws.

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend the Skuggi Hotel. Reasonably priced (as a Thomson UK package holiday, I'm only assuming the same applies if booked independently), brand new, comfortable, friendly staff and very conveniently located for Reykjavik centre. If I was planning to visit the city again I'd have no hesitation in returning to this hotel.

• 1 month later...

We too are there for 4 nights in June and really looking for a nice hotel that doesn't require a car to get around. Most above sound like apts and that may be the answer but has anyone stayed and would recommend a proven hotel that they liked. I will look at recommendations listed above but hoping other feedback comes.