NYC Taxi size

icem86

Would a family of 4, two adults, two grade school age kids, with 4 bigger pieces of luggage fit into a NYC taxi? Or to ask another way, would the driver take us?

If not, what percentage of taxi's are minivan size?

I've looked into a car service, but they require a larger car for 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage, 4 with 3 would be ok under their requirements.

There are larger taxis. Percentage wise it's kind of hard to say. Some of the "van sized" versions that are becoming popular really aren't that big on the inside. There are also some SUVs. The kicker is you're dependant on what's at the airport or on the road when you need one. Which is why the car service tends to be better if you have specific requirements.

A good chunk of the regular cabs these days are Prius V; I don't think they'll hold four of you with bags.

Edited by markeb

How "big" are the 4 bigger pc. of luggage ?? 25" or 27" hardside or soft/expandable (and, under 50 lbs ... flying into NYC area airports ??) Any other small personal sized or MLC cabin pieces (how many & sizes) - although you can usually hold on to all of them inside the "bigger" taxis.

It's more of a practical question of the taxi driver's vehicle - nowadays, it's anything from a Toyota Pirus/Camary or Nissan Altima Hybrid to (older) Ford Transit or Crown Vics (ex-police fleet cruisers w. huge trunk) to Escape SUV Hybrid to Toyota Sienna, etc. (all with varying trunk capacity ... some would easily take 4 pcs. of 25" suitcases + 1 or 2 carry-on backpacks.

There's no simple answer and also depends where you plan to hail the taxi (airport or bus terminal/train stations to hotel or cruise pier, or from hotel to pier, etc.) as you will likely find more taxi-vans & SUV at the taxi lines at airports ... although not everyone will need it so the uniformed dispatcher will usually try to match them up, especially if it is busy & there's a long line ... you might wait a little longer for the next available mini-van to show up or jump the queue. Some drivers carry bungee cords & straps to securely fasten their trunk if loaded with oversized luggage - which they don't have to, so be nice $ to him/her.

As a suggestion, you might want to consider a soft side duffle bag for clothing as a substitute for one of the bigger baggage as it's easier to squeeze & fit that into the odd shapes of some of the cargo/trunk space of these vehicles - keep fragile items in the other rollers or spinners.

Yellow taxi in NYC does not charge extra for a ride in a minivan or SUV, unlike car services like Dial7 or Carmel, 2 of the major ones we typically recommend. Overall, the percentage of minivan in NYC is somewhere around 10%, maybe 15% - as the older fleet vehicles are retired, Nissan NV200 is becoming the defacto officially approved new car on the road - see this article.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-nv200-is-now-the-official-taxi-of-new-york-89586.html

This picture/image is the trunk space for luggage - will yours fit ??

http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/nissan-nv200-is-now-the-official-taxi-of-new-york-89586-picture-20.html

Overall, the percentage of minivan in NYC is somewhere around 10%, maybe 15% - as the older fleet vehicles are retired, Nissan NV200 is becoming the defacto officially approved new car on the road - see this article.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-nv200-is-now-the-official-taxi-of-new-york-89586.html

This picture/image is the trunk space for luggage - will yours fit ??

http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/nissan-nv200-is-now-the-official-taxi-of-new-york-89586-picture-20.html

That NV200 cab has to be the most awkward, uncomfortable cab in NYC! I'm not small, but I'm not huge either, and I was sitting on the seat belt fastener, and it bounced on Park Avenue like it had never seen a shock absorber.

Almost made me nostalgic for the days every NYC cab reeked of smoke...

That NV200 cab has to be the most awkward, uncomfortable cab in NYC! ...
Fortunately, yet to get into one. Traffic is moving ever slowly along Park Avenue in the midtown area as long as you aren't near the 50's but definitely avoid Fifth Avenue with the high security zones ... as that poor Nissan would be crawling while the $ meter continue to tick. They were "selected" by the last mayoral administration ... still a better choice than switching over to a CitiBike :D

The few Ford SUV's like these are gradually disappearing ... bigger but not good with trunk space either.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Transportation/Taxi_20160904_A.jpg

Toyota minivans are nice rides and many are (rear power-ramp) accessible friendly, definitely good for 5 to 6 adults + 6 mid-sized (25") checked luggage - cabin/hand luggage on the laps if necessary en route to/from airport.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Transportation/IMG_2015_GTaxi-NYC.jpg

If and when we book a trip on Carmel - that's pretty much what will likely show up if a mini-van is requested, it will cost about $15 more per trip - east of LGA or from JFK into Manhattan but well worth it .... sitting higher up to look outside while en route.

Fortunately, yet to get into one. Traffic is moving ever slowly along Park Avenue in the midtown area as long as you aren't near the 50's but definitely avoid Fifth Avenue with the high security zones ... as that poor Nissan would be crawling while the $ meter continue to tick. They were "selected" by the last mayoral administration ... still a better choice than switching over to a CitiBike :D

The few Ford SUV's like these are gradually disappearing ... bigger but not good with trunk space either.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Transportation/Taxi_20160904_A.jpg

Toyota minivans are nice rides and many are (rear power-ramp) accessible friendly, definitely good for 5 to 6 adults + 6 mid-sized (25") checked luggage - cabin/hand luggage on the laps if necessary en route to/from airport.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Transportation/IMG_2015_GTaxi-NYC.jpg

If and when we book a trip on Carmel - that's pretty much what will likely show up if a mini-van is requested, it will cost about $15 more per trip - east of LGA or from JFK into Manhattan but well worth it .... sitting higher up to look outside while en route.

We were in town over Thanksgiving. AND went to Tiffany... 'nuff said!

I'm currently trying not to visualize the motorcades from Fifth Avenue to the UN in September.

Avoid the NV200 if at all possible!

More details. We are flying into LGA in March 2017, landing about 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday. Going to Skyline Hotel in Manhattan for one night. Plan to walk to Pier next morning for NCL cruise. After cruise, we have a later flight back at LGA, so in no rush to get back to airport. I was thinking taxi back to airport too.

Obviously we have not packed yet, we have a variety of different size bags to pick from. If we pick our 4 biggest bags, they would be 2 28" and 2 25". We probably could get by with smaller bags if needed. My credit card allows me to have 4 free checked bags for American Airlines, so I was thinking of taking the 4 biggest bags.

More details. We are flying into LGA in March 2017, landing about 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday. Going to Skyline Hotel in Manhattan for one night. Plan to walk to Pier next morning for NCL cruise. After cruise, we have a later flight back at LGA, so in no rush to get back to airport. I was thinking taxi back to airport too.

Obviously we have not packed yet, we have a variety of different size bags to pick from. If we pick our 4 biggest bags, they would be 2 28" and 2 25". We probably could get by with smaller bags if needed. My credit card allows me to have 4 free checked bags for American Airlines, so I was thinking of taking the 4 biggest bags.

It's a 7 day cruise. Do you really need all your largest bags for a 7 day cruise? Your hotel is 2 Avenues from the Cruiseport, which could be challenging with two big bags apiece.

What time is your flight home?

There are four of us, the kids are old enough to wheel their own bag. So, one person pulling one bag. How long of a walk is two avenue's, from Skyline Hotel to dock?

We probably could get by with 3 bags, but as I mentioned we can check four for free on the flight, so I did not feel it was needed to squeeze. Maybe Dial 7 or Carmel car service for a minivan, for $64 is a better idea than to try to fit in one taxi? How much would a Taxi cost?

Our flight back is 7:30 p.m.

There are four of us, the kids are old enough to wheel their own bag. So, one person pulling one bag. How long of a walk is two avenue's, from Skyline Hotel to dock?

We probably could get by with 3 bags, but as I mentioned we can check four for free on the flight, so I did not feel it was needed to squeeze. Maybe Dial 7 or Carmel car service for a minivan, for $64 is a better idea than to try to fit in one taxi? How much would a Taxi cost?

Sorry - lost track of the 4 people. It's showing as 4/10 miles to pier 92.

So what are you going to do all day when you get back?

Thanks for everyone's help! Greatly appreciated.

Day of disembark, before 7:30 flight.

We will take our time getting off boat. Than I was thinking about dropping luggage off at the same hotel we stayed at the week prior? Than walking to either Central Park or Times Square. Eating lunch somewhere and taking a taxi or car service back to airport from the hotel.

Is walking to either Times square or central park doable?

I'm guessing hotel will charge us to hold bags for a few hours.

We will take our time getting off boat. Than I was thinking about dropping luggage off at the same hotel we stayed at the week prior? Than walking to either Central Park or Times Square. Eating lunch somewhere and taking a taxi or car service back to airport from the hotel.

You can store luggage at Schwartz Travel on West 37th near 9th Ave if you can't make a satisfactory arrangement with your hotel. Both Times Square and Central Park are walkable.

Talk to doorman when you get there. Usually the doorman is in charge of the luggage storage room and the front desk has nothing to do with it. Just be nice and polite and give a tip. You can walk to Central Park and Times Square, it will be over a mile but a nice walk. There is a bus that goes uptown also if the distance is too great

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More details. We are flying into LGA in March 2017, landing about 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday ... If we pick our 4 biggest bags, they would be 2 28" and 2 25". We probably could get by with smaller bags if needed. My credit card allows me to have 4 free checked bags for American Airlines, so I was thinking ...

We sail NCL on a regular basis - you would be storing those bags under your bed, but unlikely to "need" four 28" suitcases for a week to 10 days, IMHO - for the tropics. Recommend highly that you downsize to 25" or even 22" with the extras & essentials in a cabin/carry-on. And, those 2 city blocks are long, very long when you are pulling, pushing or rolling 50+ lbs. a piece - fortunately, the curb cuts are "accessible" friendly.

Forget about TRYING a regular 4 door sedan, taxi or car service if you are taking 28" ones with you, even 25" ones could be a problem. But, four 22" ones will fit the trunk of a Ford Crown Vics or Hyundai Sonata (Uber car) but not a Toyata Camry or Nissan Altima ... not sure what the NV200 will fit, maybe 3 at most.

Besides, with unpredictable traffic due to LGA long-term airport construction & roadway work, and congestion as a rule - book a car service with the minivan confirmed rate would be my choice ... even if you somehow manage to tightly "squeeze" everything & everyone into a taxi (no carry-on or backpacks, etc. ????)

West Side blocks (avenue to avenue) are 1,000 feet long. You are looking at just under 1/2 mile for two blocks.