Haines - Eagle Preserve Float Trip Excursions

Funkat

I'm seeing a few choices for the float trips through the Eagle Preserve (from Haines). From reviews that I have read, it seems to be a nice excursion although we may not see many eagles in mid-May. Any suggestions or recommendations on tour providers are appreciated. Thanks

We did this excursion 10 years ago as a HAL ship excursion when we had an overnight in Skagway. We ferried to Haines very early on a foggy morning in mid August and met our tour leaders school bus, stopped by the Hammer Museum to pick up a seasonal intern and headed down a tree lined road to the preserve. I think we had maybe two rafts with a guide and five passengers in each.

There wasn't much water in the braided river so it was very slow rafting and our raft caught up on a few land bars that we had to be pulled off of. We saw very few mature eagles in the trees and a couple of imature eagles on the land bars eating fish. We learned a lot about eagles and had a fun time, especially when our guide in his quest to catch a fish fell into the shallow river.

It is a favorite memory because of unexpected elements of the adventure!

Two years ago in June a couple from our tour decided to take the same excursion from Skagway to Haines. When asked about the excursion they said they had a good time. When I asked if they saw many eagles they said they saw a lot (from the ferry on the trip to Haines).

I can't recommend a vendor but the float trip was a small raft and not a jet boat. In the Haines vacation planner is a company called "Eagle Preserve Floats" raftalaska@chilkatguides.com. Have you looked on Trip Advisor?

Edited by oaktreerb

I'm seeing a few choices for the float trips through the Eagle Preserve (from Haines). From reviews that I have read, it seems to be a nice excursion although we may not see many eagles in mid-May. Any suggestions or recommendations on tour providers are appreciated. Thanks

This excursion is wonderful! We did it in 2011 and have reservations for this June 6. Do it if you can!

We have a lot of bald Eagles here where we live so they aren’t a big deal for us to see them. One of prime wintering over spots for them on the west coast is on the Skagit river in Washington state. http://skagiteagle.org/ When you enter Juneau or Ketchikan look in the trees for white cotton balls, those will be Bald eagles. In Ketchikan there will be a lot of Bald Eagles on the floats and on the pilings by the piers. We’ve done this excursion a few times, the owner is a friend of ours http://www.jetboatalaska.com/ they put on a good tour. It’s a hour ferry ride each way over to Haines from Skagway.

Thanks all. I have looked on Viator (owned by Trip Advisor) and found 3 different Eagle Preserve Float options. They appear to be the same itinerary but are priced at - $119, $129, $139 and finally $149 through the ship (RCCL). Since I realize that cheapest is not always best, I am trying to research to see if one vendor is better than the others.

Thanks all. I have looked on Viator (owned by Trip Advisor) and found 3 different Eagle Preserve Float options. They appear to be the same itinerary but are priced at - $119, $129, $139 and finally $149 through the ship (RCCL). Since I realize that cheapest is not always best, I am trying to research to see if one vendor is better than the others.

Hi funkat, looks like we're on the same cruise in May. Hope to meet you on board. Am also hoping to see eagles, still not sure about tours to go on. Might look at Viator an see what they have to offer. Have been to Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan several times, so... I hope May hurries up & gits here, am chompin at the bit to go.

Virginia

Hi funkat, looks like we're on the same cruise in May. Hope to meet you on board. Am also hoping to see eagles, still not sure about tours to go on. Might look at Viator an see what they have to offer. Have been to Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan several times, so... I hope May hurries up & gits here, am chompin at the bit to go.

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Yes, I see you on Bill's list so we are definitely on the same cruise. We look forward to meeting you at the Meet & Mingle, Luncheon and possibly some excursions. We have also been to these ports on an inside passage cruise we took a few years ago. We just love Alaska!!

I'm looking at Viator and the 1st Eagle Preserve Float trip they list. I believe it is the same one operated by Haines Rafting (hainesrafting.com). Great reviews. We have yet to book waiting just a little longer in case we have any further itinerary changes. Also, Viator occasionally has promo codes to give 10% discount. There was one on Jan 1 but I wasn't ready to book. (Seeing another discount code would probably get me ready, lol.)

We are also "chompin at the bit" and have started our countdown. We will be flying into Vancouver on the Sunday prior to embarkation so that we can spend some time there. Then, we have a post-cruise 10 day tour. Can't wait!!

Kathy