Early June- First Time to Italy and Greece- Packing Tips

DENNAS

Hotel- Booked (thanks Cruisemom- using Albergo Santa Chiara)

Car Service- All reservations made-

Vatican Tour/ Coliseum Tour /Borghese tix- All booked-

All Private Tours- once on the ship- in Messina/Naples and Greece Booked-

Credit Cards- Debit and Credit- all set up with Bank notified of dates of travel etc.

I think the "Big Stuff" is done..... Whew- these boards have been a wonderful help.

4 Weeks from today we will be "on our way"-

If I missed anything- feel free to advise-

My next question- how is packing for a Caribbean trip (been on many of those) different than packing for a European Vacation- with 4 days in Rome, then 9 on Jewel- part Greece and part Italy-

What do I not want to forget to pack for Europe that I would never have thought of.

This is our first time there- so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Hotel- Booked (thanks Cruisemom- using Albergo Santa Chiara)

Car Service- All reservations made-

Vatican Tour/ Coliseum Tour /Borghese tix- All booked-

All Private Tours- once on the ship- in Messina/Naples and Greece Booked-

Credit Cards- Debit and Credit- all set up with Bank notified of dates of travel etc.

I think the "Big Stuff" is done..... Whew- these boards have been a wonderful help.

4 Weeks from today we will be "on our way"-

If I missed anything- feel free to advise-

My next question- how is packing for a Caribbean trip (been on many of those) different than packing for a European Vacation- with 4 days in Rome, then 9 on Jewel- part Greece and part Italy-

What do I not want to forget to pack for Europe that I would never have thought of.

This is our first time there- so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Not sure how packing would be much different from the Caribbean (other than types of clothing) but meds are always at the top of my list. Also, adapters that will work in Europe - particularly for your stay in Rome (for plugging in your ipad, phone, etc).

One thing to remember in Italy and Greece is that if you plan to enter any churches (including St. Peter's in Rome, St. Mark's in Venice, etc.) your shoulders and knees must be covered. This means no sleeveless tops and no shorts. (Knee-length skirts/dresses are fine, as are capris.)

I tend to dress a little nicer when I'm visiting cities in Europe than for the beach/resort type day in the Caribbean. However, there are places on Med cruises where resort wear is perfectly fine -- Mykonos, Santorini, etc. are primarily resorts.

One key piece of advice is to take two pairs of comfortable walking shoes or sandals with good support and thick enough soles so you won't get bruises from walking on the cobblestones that are so common in this area. I say bring two pairs because 1) it's better for your feet to alternate and not wear the same shoes every day, and 2) something may happen to one pair and you may not be able to replace them easily.

Obviously don't forget your European and perhaps some tummy remedies just in case the water doesn't agree with you.

See you onboard, we are really looking forward to it :)

Gail

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

E.g. we're going to be in Venice pre-cruise for a number of days, and I've only recently learned that very few restaurants take credit cards. Also, the water taxi from the airport to our hotel is cash only. You might want to start out with some euros.

We always take the kind of money-holder that we can strap under our shirt, keep against our body. I've never done that in the Caribbean.

Definitely be sure to take all necessary meds because you could have trouble getting them in Europe.

One thing to remember in Italy and Greece is that if you plan to enter any churches (including St. Peter's in Rome, St. Mark's in Venice, etc.) your shoulders and knees must be covered. This means no sleeveless tops and no shorts. (Knee-length skirts/dresses are fine, as are capris.)

I tend to dress a little nicer when I'm visiting cities in Europe than for the beach/resort type day in the Caribbean. However, there are places on Med cruises where resort wear is perfectly fine -- Mykonos, Santorini, etc. are primarily resorts.

One key piece of advice is to take two pairs of comfortable walking shoes or sandals with good support and thick enough soles so you won't get bruises from walking on the cobblestones that are so common in this area. I say bring two pairs because 1) it's better for your feet to alternate and not wear the same shoes every day, and 2) something may happen to one pair and you may not be able to replace them easily.

As always you have great info. One more question , can men wear shorts in the Vatican and cathedrals?

The knees/shoulders covered rule applies to all -- men, women, and children.

Not all churches will have someone there to strictly enforce this rule (although the major cathedrals will). However, to me it is a matter of courtesy. All of these churches open their doors to often thousands of visitors a year and most charge nothing for the privilege. The least I can do is be respectful and comply with their request to dress appropriately.

Not all churches will have someone there to strictly enforce this rule (although the major cathedrals will). However, to me it is a matter of courtesy. All of these churches open their doors to often thousands of visitors a year and most charge nothing for the privilege. The least I can do is be respectful and comply with their request to dress appropriately.

I absolutely agree with you. I thought that was the rule , but it has been a few years since I've been in Italy. Can't wait to get back.

Thanks for all the tips so far. I just want all my T's crossed and i's dotted!

Funny about the Euro's- last Friday I went to my bank and asked all my questions-

Personally, even with the small bank charge, I think I'll get just a few Euro's to get me going.

I'll feel better knowing I don't have to rush to find a bank ATM the minute we land.

I figure I need to tip (just a little) the car service, and not sure if I need to pick up anything else

"in a hurry" so will feel better knowing I have a few on hand.

You seem to be well prepared for your trip. Regarding the Euros, I always have some with me when we travel to Europe. Even though you may be told by some people here on CC telling you to wait to get your Euros after you arrive there. I entertained that thought until we were on vacation here in the U.S. and the ATM machine ate my debit card. :mad: Lesson learned. Have a wonderful trip.

Pack jeans. In Italy almost everyone wears them, much more stylishly than us from Angloworld. They are acceptable in the cathedrals etc and almost anywhere else.

Despite the advice given on these boards, we always travel with cash and minimize use of cards. Our friend had one card stolen and one swallowed with two days in central Italy.

Pack jeans. In Italy almost everyone wears them, much more stylishly than us from Angloworld. They are acceptable in the cathedrals etc and almost anywhere else.

Despite the advice given on these boards, we always travel with cash and minimize use of cards. Our friend had one card stolen and one swallowed with two days in central Italy.

I agree jeans are fine, but personally wouldn't recommend them for summer travel in Europe as I find them very hot to wear. Lighter weight fabric, looser cuts, and light colors seem to keep me cooler. (Something like these: http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=ER069B&rPFID=4257&sk=N&h=N)

Plus they are heavy to pack....!

I agree jeans are fine, but personally wouldn't recommend them for summer travel in Europe as I find them very hot to wear. Lighter weight fabric, looser cuts, and light colors seem to keep me cooler. (Something like these: http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=ER069B&rPFID=4257&sk=N&h=N)

Plus they are heavy to pack....!

Which gets me thinking- how hot will it be the first week of June?? Should I bring a Hat too? Don't want to over pack - but want to pack the appropriate stuff. Twill loose slacks are a great idea!! Thanks.

I live in Spain so our weather is similar to Italy/Greece and I will be taking a hat just to stop my parting from getting sunburnt other wise capri pants and t-shirts. Don't forget you need full cover shoes for Santorini, you don't want donkey poo between your toes because you were wearing sandals.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Which gets me thinking- how hot will it be the first week of June?? Should I bring a Hat too? Don't want to over pack - but want to pack the appropriate stuff. Twill loose slacks are a great idea!! Thanks.

I'd recommend a hat. I actually hate wearing them myself; they make my head (under the hat) very hot. But after a week in Pompeii last year in early June, I realized that not wearing a hat was making me even hotter! Take one with a big enough brim to shade your face and you won't regret it.

Agreed - it's respectfully and expected. I saw a post on a thread on Trip Advisor the other day where someone warned another poster that the "fashion police" were at the doors to a particular church and turning away people who had on tank tops, shorts, etc. and offered them shawls to cover up. She seemed miffed. Unbelievable!

• 3 weeks later...

Should we follow the same 'shoulders and knees' covered protocol at Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore? We added that church stop in- just not sure what day yet -

Thanks!

We just returned the end of April from two days precruise in Venice, an 11 day cruise to the Eastern Med. and Holy land and five days post cruise in Rome.

I can not stress enough to pack light! I brought wash/wear clothes that we could wash out in the sink and hang to drive. We spent 3 weeks on our trip and only did one bag of laundry on the cruise,( on NCL Spirit's $19.99 bag of laundry day). We bought our adapter in Venice for around 6 Euro and found them for sale everywhere. I would not recommend jeans- they are heavy to pack and impossible to wash/wear. My husband wore his on the flight only. They are too warm for Rome anyhow in summer. I had dresses, a skirt, capris and one pair of long knit pants. I also brought a lightweight long black cardigan that I wore over all my sleeveless blouses and dresses and I wouldn't travel without one. My husband wore khakis most of the time. We did dress up much more for our trip to Europe than we ever have for our Caribbean cruises and we felt comfortable doing that. I wore Rose Keen sandles and put in 4-6 miles of walking daily. I did break them in for a couple of weeks before our cruise. My husband carried a very small backpack that we used for souvenirs, sweater/jacket and our fold up water bottles. We used the water fountains in Rome to fill them as needed.

We took credit cards, several different debit cards and used Euro from our debit as we went. Most restaurants we visited took credit cards with no problems.

I used a small across- the-body nylon RFID safe purse from Amazon that fit one credit card, drivers license, a copy of our passport and a small amount of cash. I put my hand on it to keep it close in crowds. The only time I carried our passport was when we were flying and in Israel, since we went to Bethlehem and it was required.

We had a wonderful trip and enjoyed every port-Venice, Crete, Israel, Cyprus, Rhodes Greece, Montenegro, Croatia and our also time in Rome. Some of our most memorable times were spent just sitting in an outdoor cafe having a glass of wine. Take time to soak up the culture- you won't regret it! Did we get to visit every ruin or church that we wanted to see? No! That just gives us more reason to return !

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and land visit!

We just returned the end of April from two days precruise in Venice, an 11 day cruise to the Eastern Med. and Holy land and five days post cruise in Rome.

I can not stress enough to pack light! I brought wash/wear clothes that we could wash out in the sink and hang to drive. We spent 3 weeks on our trip and only did one bag of laundry on the cruise,( on NCL Spirit's $19.99 bag of laundry day). We bought our adapter in Venice for around 6 Euro and found them for sale everywhere. I would not recommend jeans- they are heavy to pack and impossible to wash/wear. My husband wore his on the flight only. They are too warm for Rome anyhow in summer. I had dresses, a skirt, capris and one pair of long knit pants. I also brought a lightweight long black cardigan that I wore over all my sleeveless blouses and dresses and I wouldn't travel without one. My husband wore khakis most of the time. We did dress up much more for our trip to Europe than we ever have for our Caribbean cruises and we felt comfortable doing that. I wore Rose Keen sandles and put in 4-6 miles of walking daily. I did break them in for a couple of weeks before our cruise. My husband carried a very small backpack that we used for souvenirs, sweater/jacket and our fold up water bottles. We used the water fountains in Rome to fill them as needed.

We took credit cards, several different debit cards and used Euro from our debit as we went. Most restaurants we visited took credit cards with no problems.

I used a small across- the-body nylon RFID safe purse from Amazon that fit one credit card, drivers license, a copy of our passport and a small amount of cash. I put my hand on it to keep it close in crowds. The only time I carried our passport was when we were flying and in Israel, since we went to Bethlehem and it was required.

We had a wonderful trip and enjoyed every port-Venice, Crete, Israel, Cyprus, Rhodes Greece, Montenegro, Croatia and our also time in Rome. Some of our most memorable times were spent just sitting in an outdoor cafe having a glass of wine. Take time to soak up the culture- you won't regret it! Did we get to visit every ruin or church that we wanted to see? No! That just gives us more reason to return !

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and land visit!

Thanks for the detailed info. I have several jean capris packed maybe I'll take some out. Lol.

My daughter and I have the lockable cross body that we got off Amazon- a little bigger than I thought it would be, but it will hold everything. And souvenirs!

Made copies of our passports and plan to carry those each day along with our drivers licenses-

** Collapsible water bottles?? hmmm- was thinking of buying a case of water and leaving in hotel - would Walmart or Target have??