Nieuw Amsterdam Vibration Problems?

legalslave

We have booked a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the Inside Passage in May 2016. We booked aft wrap cabin 7132. A very dear friend of ours warned me about annoying, constant vibration in the aft of the ship. Also, I read where the vibration is very bad in the Tamarind. I have always wanted to sail on this ship but am afraid the vibration would ruin our cruise. Enough so, we are thinking of cancelling it. Any comments from those who have sailed recently on her?

Diane

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three weeks in November and December and ate in the Tamarind multiple times. We also had drinks in the Silk Den bar which is adjacent to the Tamarind a few days. We never noticed any excessive vibration, even by the windows, which is where people reported it.

Having said that, people did indeed report vibration, so perhaps they're more sensitive to it than we are. The NA just returned from dry dock yesterday. I don't know if that was something which was addressed or not. She's on her transatlantic now, so hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

We had a cabana on the top deck for the entire time and didn't notice anything in the way of vibration. IRL_Joanie Joanie & Crew News had an aft wrap cabin. They can probably tell you if they noticed any excessive vibration or not. As I said though, we didn't experience anything in the way of excess movement, but we aren't overly sensitive.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three weeks in November and December and ate in the Tamarind multiple times. We also had drinks in the Silk Den bar which is adjacent to the Tamarind a few days. We never noticed any excessive vibration, even by the windows, which is where people reported it.

Having said that, people did indeed report vibration, so perhaps they're more sensitive to it than we are. The NA just returned from dry dock yesterday. I don't know if that was something which was addressed or not. She's on her transatlantic now, so hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

We had a cabana on the top deck for the entire time and didn't notice anything in the way of vibration. IRL_Joanie Joanie & Crew News had an aft wrap cabin. They can probably tell you if they noticed any excessive vibration or not. As I said though, we didn't experience anything in the way of excess movement, but we aren't overly sensitive.

No vibration what so ever in our Aft Wrap SB 5187 during our entire 14 dayus on her!!

The OP's post is the 1st I've heard of any vibration on her, except for the vibration/bouncing we did experience back in 2010 at Grand Cayman due to wave action, and that was FUN!!:D

For what it's worth, we have the opposite stateroom, SB 5186 booked for Nieuw Amsterdam's 1st Alaska 2016 cruise for 2 weeks:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
added paragraph and title

There was a thread a few weeks ago discussing this, can't find it at this moment though, (figures). On our cruise last month, there was some noticeable vibration/shuddering, but nothing that disturbed our experience. We felt it while eating at the Tamarind, up in the retreat cabana area, as well as in our cabin, (forward/mid Interior). We did observe other passengers talking about it as well.

Again - for us it wasn't anything extreme and we didn't really give it much thought, but a few people seemed really upset by it. Either we just aren't as sensitive to it, or are willing to overlook more on a cruise than others.

We had stern-wrap 5186 in Dec and had no strong vibrations there. In the Tamarind a table by the windows did have strong vibrations, but another more centered in the room did not. In the Silk Den we usually did not sit near the side windows, and felt no vibrations there.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam a few weeks ago. The vibration was noticeable, but not impairing. Tamarind vibrated quite a bit, enough that you would notice it, but not so much that you could not ignore it. (We were by the windows)

At the Pinnacle Grill I had to reach over and move the silverware on the table next to me because the vibration was clanging the silverware against each other. Once I moved those items, it was fine and I didn't notice anything after that.

In our cabin (Mid-ship, which is several decks below Tamarind), the vibration was pretty bad. The first night I thought I was having leg spasms, but it was just the bed vibrating. After the first night, I got used to it and it didn't bother me anymore.

We were on the NA a few weeks ago (3/17, 7 day) in 4155 (which is near the back of the ship...aft) and did not notice any annoying vibration.

We also ate at the Tamarind once while at sea and again, no vibration.

We had a great time. She's a great ship with a great staff. Hope I sail her again!

No vibration what so ever in our Aft Wrap SB 5187 during our entire 14 dayus on her!!

The OP's post is the 1st I've heard of any vibration on her, except for the vibration/bouncing we did experience back in 2010 at Grand Cayman due to wave action, and that was FUN!!:D

For what it's worth, we have the opposite stateroom, SB 5186 booked for Nieuw Amsterdam's 1st Alaska 2016 cruise for 2 weeks:)

Joanie

Joanie, what are the dates you will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2016?

Diane

We sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam in January and again in March. We ate in Tamarind three times, and we noticed the vibration each time.

It was a mild annoyance at first, but then we got used to it.

We did not feel the vibrations anywhere else on the ship.

We have booked a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the Inside Passage in May 2016. We booked aft wrap cabin 7132. A very dear friend of ours warned me about annoying, constant vibration in the aft of the ship. Also, I read where the vibration is very bad in the Tamarind. I have always wanted to sail on this ship but am afraid the vibration would ruin our cruise. Enough so, we are thinking of cancelling it. Any comments from those who have sailed recently on her?

Diane

You'll be OK. After 6-7 drinks you won't notice it. ;)

We were on the NA a few weeks ago (3/17, 7 day) in 4155 (which is near the back of the ship...aft) and did not notice any annoying vibration.

We also ate at the Tamarind once while at sea and again, no vibration.

We had a great time. She's a great ship with a great staff. Hope I sail her again!

Was on the same sailing in 7132 (portside corner aft) and we noticed the vibration everywhere, all the time, even when in port (thus my opinion it is the diesel generators not the azipods). But agree that we did not find it particular annoying.

The wife noticed it the most when sitting up in bed leaning against the wall reading.

I will share one interesting story...on the last sea day going from Cozumel to Key West, I suddenly awoke from a nap...something was different...I jumped up and looked over the stern balcony. There was no prop wash...we were coasting. I turned on the TV and tuned to the page that shows navigation info and sure enough the speed was dropping...from 11 knots down to less than 6.

Soon after, we started gaining speed again. I don't know if they did some sort of all stop drill or what, but for 15 minutes or so there was no vibration and I think that is what woke me up!

Trout

Diane

We were on for 2 weeks in aft balcony 8168. Never noticed any vibration. We heard the occasional deck chair slide around but never any vibration of any kind.

Joanie

Thanks! I figured that you and Roger would have a better handle on the aft situation.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been wanting to sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a long time. So there is vibration but sounds like we can handle it.

Diane

For what it's worth, it's my wife's favorite HAL ship.

Like I mentioned, it's entirely possible that we're just not sensitive to motion, but we really weren't bothered.

No matter what you decide, I hope you have a good vacation.

Joanie, what are the dates you will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2016?

Diane

Hi Diane,

Sorry for not answering sooner but took a nap and just awoke.

OK, we are booked on her beginning on 30 April through 14 May 2016 for the Inside Passage, BUT expect to book her for the Pacific Coastal out of San Diego once it opens up this August or September.

How about you?

Joanie

On in March and felt the vibrations in our cabin aft 5168 (I think- view of the wake) and in the Tamarind- but don't cancel your trip! We still had a great time and would go again for sur-but I would select a cabin midship. Enjoy!!!

During Nieuw Amsterdam's first year of service, I enjoyed a dinner at Tamarind and noticed no vibration. I was seated on the port side of that venue.

I attended a premium wine tasting event held at Tamarind that was on the starboard side of the venue. Vibration was quite noticeable at that location. Unpleasant, no. But, I wondered then, as now, why on the starboard side and not the port side?

During Nieuw Amsterdam's first year of service, I enjoyed a dinner at Tamarind and noticed no vibration. I was seated on the port side of that venue.

I attended a premium wine tasting event held at Tamarind that was on the starboard side of the venue. Vibration was quite noticeable at that location. Unpleasant, no. But, I wondered then, as now, why on the starboard side and not the port side?

LOL! In Sept 2010 we ate in the Tamarind on the starboard side two times and felt no vibrations that I recall. This past Dec when we were there twice on the port side we did feel them! :D

We loved this ship but for the sake of total honesty there was some vibration for our 2 weeks also in late March . But it didnt bother us. The weird thing was that while we definitely noticed it in some of the same spots consistently around the ship there were other times when we noticed it in completely different areas. Like one night in the Crows Nest but not others. There were some strange observances like one Orchid in the Lido going wild and everyone avoiding that table.

We heard loads of complaining people and lots of speculation and " experts" who knew the cause , but perhaps we are low maintenance but it didnt bother us and we thought it was kind of funny.

:)

PS we did hear the rumour that this was going to be part of the dry dock fix ..

There is vibration, it isn't necessarily a problem but can be more pronounced at certain times. It a "flaw" within the Signature ships which they know and should correct itself in the Pinnacle class.

It's one reason too why Tamarind has been moved toward the stern on Koningsdam.

Hi Diane,

Sorry for not answering sooner but took a nap and just awoke.

OK, we are booked on her beginning on 30 April through 14 May 2016 for the Inside Passage, BUT expect to book her for the Pacific Coastal out of San Diego once it opens up this August or September.

How about you?

Joanie

Darn it Joanie! We will board when you and Roger disembark. We will board on May 14, 2016.

Ken & Melodie, I will for sure follow your advise! We will stick with 7132 because of the view and we have it booked. Midship would be fine for us if it weren't Alaska. Vibration or not, we have got to sail on this ship. Anybody want to join us?

Diane