Any suggestions for South Beach Hotel?

bradleyk

We are going to fly in to Miami on Thursday night before our Saturday sailing on the Getaway this October. We are currently booked at the YVE hotel across from Bayside park.

I am thinking about switching to a hotel on South beach so that we can enjoy Friday at the beach without having to take a cab over. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel? We would like to stay under $175 for one room with 2 people. Thanks in advance.

There are many hotels in SB, We love the Avalon, but it is pricey. Try Expedia. They have great deals, and, good reviews that you can trust.and remember, many hotels do not offer transportation to the port of miami. That is not a big deal. A cab there is maybe $15.00 and takes 15 minutes. No problem.

Edited by rbrugler

I stayed in the Kent Hotel in 1131 Collins Av. this February for about 130 €. The room was not great but OK for this.

It's right behind the Versace Villa and on a Sunday about 24$ from port.ImageUploadedByForums1430078760.503862.jpg.0a396d332d17a0e2ddfaa0695c98e237.jpg

A nice garden restaurant belongs to it and WIFI reaches thru the garden.

ImageUploadedByForums1430078708.229142.jpg.c6f2df8ea4d1d80eef442999a56daa67.jpg

Edited by Salsa_Sailor

As shapatack0 mentioned, the Beacon Hotel on Ocean Drive is good but may not be within your budget. The Fritz, Dorchester ande Ithaca of South Beach are also good hotels but again, to be close to the beach, $175 may not be a realistic price.

When I cruised out of Miami back in 2013, I stayed at The Colony hotel. It was nothing fancy, but just what we were looking for... a spot across the street from the beach that was not too pricey. It was easy walking to many places to eat, and the Clevelander was a good spot for us go have drinks and party at in the evenings.

Yes, I have been checking priceline and expedia. I was just hoping to hear from fellow cruisers what they liked. So thank you all for your ideas. We might just keep our booking at the Yve and take a cab over for the day. That way we won't be staying right in the middle of it. From looking at the pictures of hotels on South Beach on trip adviser, it seems pretty busy at night.

Edited by bradleyk

Depending on the exact date your budget might be low for a weekend. If you don't need a pool and big resort, Hotel La Flora on 12th and Collins a block from the ocean is great. Check it out on trip advisor. We stayed 4 nights and loved the location. Perfect to seeing any high points by foot. Wonderful staff with light breakfast and happy hour. We rented Segways nearby and spent an hour cruising the beach. Bikes are available too. Far enough from the LOUD spots right on Ocean Dr.

You can catch a Metro bus right across Biscayne Blvd from the YVE (heading north) to Miami Beach for $2.50 each way....it's route C. Actually any bus with a letter in the route designation goes to Miami Beach. You really don't want to take a taxi any where in Miami - they are dirty, smelly and disgusting and cost a fortune.

Just of word of warning if you decide to stay at the YVE Hotel on Biscayne Blvd. While it is very convenient to the Port of Miami, the rooms are very small and there is quite a bit of noise all around the hotel. This hotel used to be what I call a 'backpackers' hotel with just the basics that catered to large tour groups. I worked at one of the office buildings down the street and seems almost everyday at lunch, there would be a large tour group (quite a few Japanese groups) waiting for their transportation. There is no place for their bus to get out of Biscayne Blvd traffic. Biscayne Blvd is the busiest street in downtown Miami and it's noisy day and night. While they have redone the hotel and appears to be great on the exterior, it's still an old hotel with tiny rooms, tinier bathrooms and lots of traffic and noise. But, the price is right and it's convenient to the port. I'd probably stay there if I just needed a bed and bath for a night before going on a cruise but it's not where I'd choose to stay for any longer than that. If you choose to stay on Miami Beach, the noise and traffic can be just as bad or worse. Just sayin'.

My choice for a downtown area hotel in Miami? Hampton Inn Brickell (about a mile from Biscayne Blvd near Brickell Ave.) on the other side of the Miami River.

Edited by Diver2014

There are some right on Ocean Drive that party all night. You can stay on the northern edge or for sure I'd book something off Ocean dr. It's a fun area. If you can get over there and enjoy the art deco area and beach. People watching is so fun. Head to Lincoln Road, the busy pedestrian mall area. Espanola Way is a cute little Spanish area with restaurants, greenery , neat architecture etc. you'll need a full day to walk the area.

You can catch a Metro bus right across Biscayne Blvd from the YVE (heading north) to Miami Beach for $2.50 each way....it's route C. Actually any bus with a letter in the route designation goes to Miami Beach. You really don't want to take a taxi any where in Miami - they are dirty, smelly and disgusting and cost a fortune.

This is a great idea! Thank you... Also I can see what you mean about the location being busy... I will check out the Hampton Inn

There are 2 Courtyard Marriotts, a Four Points by Sheraton, a full service Marriott....all good properties. They may or may not fall into your price range.

Do you ever do Priceline? might be worth a try

There is only one Courtyard in South Beach. The other one is in Mid Beach several miles north. I do love the CMSB! Great location and rooftop pool.

I cannot recommend the South Beach Holiday Inn.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

That Holiday Inn closed years ago, was torn down and is now the W Hotel.

A few years ago I strayed at the Richmond. Nice clean hotel with a pool and right on the beach about 3 blocks north of South Beach.

The Richmond is a great hotel in the center of South Beach. Very near Lincoln Road Mall. Maybe you were thinking it is three blocks north of Ocean Drive?

To the OP, I would ditch the downtown hotel and priceline a South Beach Hotel. You'll find much better deal about 30-45 days out when all the groups drop their room blocks.

I love Brickell and think downtown is just beautiful but South Beach is just really cool.

I just started looking, but has anyone booked on VRBO instead of booking a hotel? Just wondering.

They generally only book five or seven nights stays.

I've used them in Italy and France and had good experiences.

Sometimes you can find last minute weekend stays.